Why are you learning Russian?

Moderator:voron

What is the main reason that made you learn russian?

I'm of Russian Origin
7%
I am in relationship with a Russian speaker
1%
For my Russian friends
5%
For travelling
13%
I want to marry Mother Russia(in other words, I love the culture)
19%
As a lingгa-frаnca in slavic/former USSR countries
18%
I'm learning languages for fun, and cyrillic is cool
26%
Other(please explain)
11%

Total votes: 97

linguoboy
Re: Why are you learning Russian?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-12, 19:35

Nukalurk wrote:Many former SU countries are rushing to join the NATO
Can you name six?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2015-03-12, 20:59

Nukalurk wrote:It’s surely still useful in other countries like Kazakhstan.

Many former SU countries are rushing to join the NATO, and their new master promotes the usage of English, of course.

Russian is useful in all ex-Soviet states, for instance in Kazakhstan it's the first spoken language, Kazakh being the 2nd. I was reffering to the Slavic-speaking countries, in which Russian is not useful (except for Ukraine and Belarus).

I guess NATO has nothing to do with languages. Russian is still present in most of the ex-Soviet States, you can hear it everywhere on the streets, television, newspapers and so on.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-03-29, 15:16

I have very little motivating me to learn Russian other than its culture, given the state the country's in at the moment. Really, I just think the language looks and sounds cool and the grammar is a neat puzzle to be solved, like a sudoku grid.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Kavkaz

Postby Kavkaz » 2015-04-30, 21:46

Потому что мне нравится читать книги и рассказы русских писателей. Я хочу читать их на исходном языке вместо английского. Конечно, эта цель трудная. Мне нужен изучать много.

Русский язык также очень красив. Ведь это достаточная причина? :wink:

What I was trying to say: Because I like to read books and stories by Russian writers. I want to read them in their original language instead of English. Of course, this goal is difficult. I need to study a lot.

Russian is also very beautiful. That's reason enough, right?
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]ru[/flag]
Beginner: [flag=]ka[/flag]
Interested: [flag=]ab[/flag][flag=]ce[/flag][flag=]inh[/flag][flag=]kbd[/flag][flag=]av[/flag]

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2015-05-02, 16:07

Modgethanc, it's funny because to me it also is a fun puzzle to solve. All the prefixes and phrase building and verb conjugation are in my opinion a fascinating code to decipher :lol:
Fluent : [flag=]fr-QC[/flag][flag=]us[/flag]
Intermediate&Actively learning : [flag=]ru[/flag]
Slowly begginning in : [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]uk[/flag]
Interested in :[flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-09, 5:35

I'm learning Russian partly just because I love learning all sorts of languages.

The other part of the story is that my dad studied Russian for three years (or was it five?) in college (he also studied German in college but for a shorter amount of time). Even when I was a little baby, while he would mostly talk to me in Malayalam, he would throw in the occasional phrase he vaguely remembered from German and Russian. Even after many years, he still remembered that he used to say [ja ˈlʊbija ˈt̪ɪbija] to me all the time (he meant я тебя люблю :lol:). When I started learning languages, he kept trying to get me to start learning both of those. Eventually, I gave in to German and later to Russian as well. As soon as I started learning each of those languages, he was impressed and said I'd learned more of each language in a few months or even weeks than he had in years.

There were also a few people I met in school who helped keep me motivated to learn Russian. In kindergarten, one of my classmates was an adopted girl who was monolingual in Russian, and I think I tried to talk to her sometimes. My dad claims I even wrote a whole letter in Russian to her foster dad at the time (although IIRC he didn't actually speak any, but I didn't realize that at the time). Many years later, in high school, I met a Russian exchange student, and we became best friends and met and talked every day, although that basically ended once she went back. She really motivated me to try to improve my Russian ASAP because I tried to speak it with her whenever I could.

Anyway, at this point, I'm still learning it because why the hell not? I started learning it, so why stop? We have a bunch of users who are either learning it or speak it natively, it helped me start learning other Slavic languages, and it's spoken over a huge geographical area.

Mohammed Lee

Postby Mohammed Lee » 2015-08-16, 0:40

Because I want to be able to read Russian hacker websites and forums without having to copy-and-paste everything into Google Translate!

I suppose going through the trouble of learning a whole language is probably more work than all the copying and pasting I would do through the rest of my life, but this is really more of an excuse than a reason.

All the prefixes and phrase building and verb conjugation are in my opinion a fascinating code to decipher

Yeah, that too! The grammar is somewhat similar to classical Latin, which I've found fascinating for the same reason. But I've never looked at Latin too closely because no one actually speaks it.

wolverine

Postby wolverine » 2015-09-07, 14:10

I've always liked Slavic languages. I became interested in Russian specifically because all my favorite bass singers were Russian.
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time'
- Breaking Benjamin

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2015-09-07, 14:45

I have absorbed some Russian by reading posts and resources written in it. I'm interested in Slavic historical linguistics, Slavic paganism, folklore and ethnogenesis and it so happens that you can find plenty of materials on these topics in Russian. This has put me in the situation that I can read many Russian (and Ukrainian, btw) texts without much difficulty but have little grasp on the pronunciation (the word stress, grrrrr) and it's hard to remember the words when I'd like to write or say sth in it. I also can often figure out what's being said in East Slavic languages when they're pronounced newsreader-style but it's much, much harder to understand the casual speech on the street. So I might consider really learning some Russian and/or Ukrainian to bridge the annoying gaps.
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Zero

Postby Zero » 2016-01-05, 13:37

I decided it would be good to learn it because I was already looking for another language to really sink my teeth into from Europe. I wanted it to be one of the major ones, but I lost all interest in German, and I had no interest in Italian and Spanish (I love French but other romance languages bore me to tears), that didn't leave me with many options, so I was unsure for a while, then I read that Russia's population exceeds Germany's and I was interested. Then I realized Russia was actually a very alien place, and that the language is grammatically difficult (an interesting thing to me). Russia is already important globally, and it will probably remain important into the future. There's also Ukraine and former soviet countries with populations who speak Russian placing the number of speakers somewhere around 200 million. The reasons kept on piling on for me over the last few years. At first I disliked Cyrillic and consonant clusters, but then I heard Russians speaking and I learned Cyrillic and now I find Cyrillic text beautiful and the language sounds really cool and is so fun to pronounce. It's also an official language of the UN. Finally, it's lesser studied than many other major languages, which gives it a cool edge in my eyes.

Uskoton

Postby Uskoton » 2016-01-10, 3:44

PEMbl wrote:
From what I understand it's also spoken to a considerable extent in Poland, correct?

Most Polish over the age of around 30/35 seem to be able to read/write and undertand some Russian still, the older the more they know! Not that they are proud of ever use it though :lol:
[flag=]yue[/flag] This is the one I need to know the most.
[flag=]lv[/flag] This I really need to learn but I haven't yet.
[flag=]fr.qc[/flag] This I'm best in, but not so great.

kdv15b

Postby kdv15b » 2016-01-21, 21:09

I really love the way that it sounds! I've been interested in the language, culture, and history for a long time, and found I had the opportunity to take it at my university. So here I am in my second semester thinking about getting a Minor in Russian!

Also I was terrible at Spanish! :rotfl:
Image Currently studying Chapter 10 of 24 from the Beginner's Russian Course. Image

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2016-02-18, 0:26

Uskoton wrote:Most Polish over the age of around 30/35 seem to be able to read/write and undertand some Russian still, the older the more they know! Not that they are proud of ever use it though :lol:

Такое мне хватит!

That's enough for me!

kdv15b wrote:I really love the way that it sounds! I've been interested in the language, culture, and history for a long time, and found I had the opportunity to take it at my university. So here I am in my second semester thinking about getting a Minor in Russian!

Also I was terrible at Spanish! :rotfl:

Если тебя когда-то нужно кто-то с кем практиковаться, общайся со мной )))

If you ever need someone to practice with, feel free to message me :)
Fluent : [flag=]fr-QC[/flag][flag=]us[/flag]
Intermediate&Actively learning : [flag=]ru[/flag]
Slowly begginning in : [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]uk[/flag]
Interested in :[flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]

Raritet

Postby Raritet » 2016-03-24, 7:58

interesting_username wrote:Мне нужен изучать много.

Мне нужно много изучать.
Или может быть даже лучше "изучить многое".

PEMbl wrote:Такое мне хватит!

Такого. Но лучше просто: Мне хватит.
PEMbl wrote:Если тебя когда-то нужно кто-то с кем практиковаться, общайся со мной )))
Если тебе когда-то нужно кто-то с кем-то практиковаться
Native:[flag=]ru[/flag] Advanced:[flag=]en[/flag][flag=]en-US[/flag] Learning[flag=]es[/flag]

Kavkaz

Postby Kavkaz » 2016-03-25, 3:26

Спасибо. Прошёл год...я надеюсь, что я теперь говорю лучше. :D
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]ru[/flag]
Beginner: [flag=]ka[/flag]
Interested: [flag=]ab[/flag][flag=]ce[/flag][flag=]inh[/flag][flag=]kbd[/flag][flag=]av[/flag]

toska

Postby toska » 2016-03-26, 20:21

5, 7, 8. I love both Russian language and culture I also should include history. Besides that it might be beneficial professionally since there's a demand for Russian in my country. I'd never consider learning a language just because it's beneficial if I didn't like though.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-27, 21:58

I'm not learning it yet, but I'm interested in Russian because since I already speak a Romance language and am in the process to achieve fluency at a 2nd Germanic language, I might as well learn a Slavic one. And since I was undecided which one to learn I've decided to go for the one spoken in the largest country in the world and the one with the largest number of native speakers.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-06, 14:31

Честно говоря не знаю. Мне не нравится йцукен, почерк ни курсив, но русский звучит так очень круто. :D

Dannylearns

Postby Dannylearns » 2017-08-01, 15:43

For travelling! 8-)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-22, 4:13

Prowler wrote:I'm not learning it yet, but I'm interested in Russian because since I already speak a Romance language and am in the process to achieve fluency at a 2nd Germanic language, I might as well learn a Slavic one.

What about a second Romance language?

Return to “Russian (Русский)”