Why are you interested in Portuguese?

Moderator:Luís

linguoboy
Re: Why are you interested in Portuguese?

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-12, 15:14

To get back on topic: Because Brazilian men are hot as fuck.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-13, 1:15

Apart from the phrasebook I mentioned before, I don't really have any particular reason for being interested in Portuguese specifically. I'm interested in every language, so of course that includes Portuguese, too. :P

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-02-13, 8:44

I'm interested in Portuguese mainly because Portugal it's one of my neighbouring countries, and I thought it would be useful if I could understand and speak their language.

And it's funny, but whenever I watch the Portuguese news, many times they include some news from Galicia as well (language it's a strong symbol of cultural identity).

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-11, 9:49

Damn this thread is old. It was like my 4th post on this forum. I was only 22 years old at the time I made it. I've been here for nearly 4 years already?! Holy shit, can't time stop or slow down significantly?!

linguoboy wrote:To get back on topic: Because Brazilian men are hot as fuck.

I cannot speak about the men, but I've never understood the "Brazilian women are hot" thing. Most I've seen are pretty average and I imagine the ones I could find in Brazil are mostly average as well and that the hot/ugly people percentages are "the same" everywhere.

Antea wrote:I'm interested in Portuguese mainly because Portugal it's one of my neighbouring countries, and I thought it would be useful if I could understand and speak their language.

And it's funny, but whenever I watch the Portuguese news, many times they include some news from Galicia as well (language it's a strong symbol of cultural identity).

Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-11, 11:15

Prowler wrote:Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I don't watch the Portuguese news everyday.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-11, 11:50

Antea wrote:
Prowler wrote:Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I don't watch the Portuguese news everyday.

Well I was just curious. Whenever I think of Galicia I think of the Prestige oil ship accident. remember that one?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-11, 11:58

Prowler wrote:Well I was just curious. Whenever I think of Galicia I think of the Prestige oil ship accident. remember that one?

Yes, it was horrible. And the famous slogan connected to it: "Nunca mais".

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-23, 11:52

I just watched a movie in European Portuguese and it sounded ao good. Makes me wanna learn it, but Brazilian is also cool. They are more different than the various Spanish dialecta imho.

One of the characters said dezessete minutos and I swear it sounded like Czech deset minut (well dzeset minut to be fair :). Of course the first means 17 and the latter 10 minutes.

EP is more unpredictable than BP I guess. I never know which vowel will be reduced and whatnot.

Poirot

Postby Poirot » 2018-01-31, 20:26

Prowler wrote:Damn this thread is old. It was like my 4th post on this forum. I was only 22 years old at the time I made it. I've been here for nearly 4 years already?! Holy shit, can't time stop or slow down significantly?!

linguoboy wrote:To get back on topic: Because Brazilian men are hot as fuck.

I cannot speak about the men, but I've never understood the "Brazilian women are hot" thing. Most I've seen are pretty average and I imagine the ones I could find in Brazil are mostly average as well and that the hot/ugly people percentages are "the same" everywhere.

Antea wrote:I'm interested in Portuguese mainly because Portugal it's one of my neighbouring countries, and I thought it would be useful if I could understand and speak their language.

Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Nobody is looking at their faces, irmao. Everyone is checking out their bum bum. :yep:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-01, 13:40

Hent wrote: EP is more unpredictable than BP I guess. I never know which vowel will be reduced and whatnot.

All of them :twisted:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-05-18, 13:19

- My wife is Brazilian (this is obviously the main reason)
- Brazil is a very attractive country; incredible natural beauty, the weather is awesome, the FOOD IS AMAZING!, interesting traditional music styles, IME Brazilians are awesome people - friendly, welcoming, good sense of humour. Brazil has an interesting history and mix of cultures.
- Media: Brazilians love the internet and they are all over it, they make lots of interesting content so there's no lack of stuff to do with the language once you know it.
- There are lots of Brazilians here so I can practice, and not many Irish people (or gringos in general) actually learn Portuguese, which means you get that satisfying "Holy shit, you speak Portuguese!?" reaction when you speak to them.

...I'm kind of a Brazeeaboo...

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-05-18, 14:32

Ciarán12 wrote:
...I'm kind of a Brazeeaboo...

But if you married a Brazilian, don't this make you a level above? :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-05-19, 21:24

Osias wrote:But if you married a Brazilian, don't this make you a level above? :hmm:

Não sei como funciona o sistema, será que eu viraria Brasileiro mesmo depois de ser Brazeeaboo só?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-05-20, 14:10

Ciarán12 wrote:
Osias wrote:But if you married a Brazilian, don't this make you a level above? :hmm:

Não sei como funciona o sistema, será que eu viraria Brasileiro de verdade depois de ser Brazeeaboo só?

Sei lá, o povo é tão inclusionista que é capaz de te considerarem brasileiro nativo mesmo sem falar português só de namorar uma brasileira, que dirá casar.

Mas sei lá.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-06-03, 21:33

Osias wrote:
Ciarán12 wrote:

Não sei como funciona o sistema, será que eu viraria Brasileiro de verdade depois de ser Brazeeaboo só?

Sei lá, o povo é tão inclusionista que é capaz de te considerarem brasileiro nativo mesmo sem falar português só de namorar uma brasileira, que dirá casar.

Mas sei lá.

Acho que em todos os países do "Novo Mundo" tipo o Brazil, EUA, Canadá, Argentina, Chile, México, Austrália, etc. esse tipo de inclusão é normal. Talvez não em "todos" mas na maior parte deve ser, pois são países de imigrantes.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-06-04, 14:35

Os EUA com certeza não, né?

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-06-11, 22:23

Osias wrote:Os EUA com certeza não, né?

Nem sei. Muitos dizem que si, outros dizem o contrário. :para:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-06-12, 1:23

A gente vê todo dia história de gente gritando na rua com latinos 'voltem pro seu país' e daí pra pior.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-06-24, 17:55

Osias wrote:A gente vê todo dia história de gente gritando na rua com latinos 'voltem pro seu país' e daí pra pior.

Os EUA me parece um país mais dividido do que muitos outros do Novo Mundo, politicamente e culturalmente. Tem a galera da esquerda que é mais inclusionista e galera da direita que quer fechar o país e mantê-lo "puro". (eles diriam "Americano", mas dá pra se subentender...)

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-06-27, 8:31

Os Americanos são meio loucos.

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”