Why are you interested in Portuguese?

Moderator: Luís

linguoboy

Re: Why are you interested in Portuguese?

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-12, 15:14

To get back on topic: Because Brazilian men are hot as fuck.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-13, 1:15

Apart from the phrasebook I mentioned before, I don't really have any particular reason for being interested in Portuguese specifically. I'm interested in every language, so of course that includes Portuguese, too. :P

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-02-13, 8:44

I'm interested in Portuguese mainly because Portugal it's one of my neighbouring countries, and I thought it would be useful if I could understand and speak their language.

And it's funny, but whenever I watch the Portuguese news, many times they include some news from Galicia as well (language it's a strong symbol of cultural identity).

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-11, 9:49

Damn this thread is old. It was like my 4th post on this forum. I was only 22 years old at the time I made it. I've been here for nearly 4 years already?! Holy shit, can't time stop or slow down significantly?!

linguoboy wrote:To get back on topic: Because Brazilian men are hot as fuck.

I cannot speak about the men, but I've never understood the "Brazilian women are hot" thing. Most I've seen are pretty average and I imagine the ones I could find in Brazil are mostly average as well and that the hot/ugly people percentages are "the same" everywhere.

Antea wrote:I'm interested in Portuguese mainly because Portugal it's one of my neighbouring countries, and I thought it would be useful if I could understand and speak their language.

And it's funny, but whenever I watch the Portuguese news, many times they include some news from Galicia as well (language it's a strong symbol of cultural identity).

Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-11, 11:15

Prowler wrote:Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I don't watch the Portuguese news everyday.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-11, 11:50

Antea wrote:
Prowler wrote:Really? From Galicia in specific? I don't watch TV nowadays, so all of my news come from the internet, but whenever I come across a news article about the country next door it's always related related to their elections, Catalonia, their PM or their royal family.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I don't watch the Portuguese news everyday.

Well I was just curious. Whenever I think of Galicia I think of the Prestige oil ship accident. remember that one?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-11, 11:58

Prowler wrote:Well I was just curious. Whenever I think of Galicia I think of the Prestige oil ship accident. remember that one?

Yes, it was horrible. And the famous slogan connected to it: "Nunca mais".

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2017-05-23, 11:52

I just watched a movie in European Portuguese and it sounded ao good. Makes me wanna learn it, but Brazilian is also cool. They are more different than the various Spanish dialecta imho.

One of the characters said dezessete minutos and I swear it sounded like Czech deset minut (well dzeset minut to be fair :). Of course the first means 17 and the latter 10 minutes.

EP is more unpredictable than BP I guess. I never know which vowel will be reduced and whatnot.
Don't Worry I'm A Doctor

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”