Aonde Quer Que Eu Vá

Moderator:Luís

ujjain
Aonde Quer Que Eu Vá

Postby ujjain » 2012-11-25, 12:28

A Brazilian person is explaining me the meaning of "Aonde Quer Que Eu Vá", but it is still hard for me to grasp. Especially since I asked about 5 Brazilians, that all insist that "quer" in this phrase is the 3rd conjugation of "querer".

Two possible translations I came up with.
  • Wherever you want me to go, I will go.
  • Wherever place I will go.
"Quer" in the second possible translation phrase does not seem to translate to the verb "to want" in English.

Psi-Lord

Re: Aonde Quer Que Eu Vá

Postby Psi-Lord » 2012-11-25, 13:26

Aonde quer que eu vá = ‘wherever I go’

Quer is, etymologically, the 3rd person singular present indicative of querer, but, in such constructions (quem quer que, onde quer que, como quer que etc.), it’s to be seen as idiomatic.

Incidentally, ‘wherever you want me to go’ might be translated as aonde quer que queira que eu vá.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Rivaldo

Postby Rivaldo » 2012-11-26, 1:27

ujjain

Postby ujjain » 2012-11-26, 6:27

Psi-Lord wrote:Quer is, etymologically, the 3rd person singular present indicative of querer, but, in such constructions (quem quer que, onde quer que, como quer que etc.), it’s to be seen as idiomatic.
Thanks a lot! :) I understand I shouldn't analyze "aonde quer" too deep and it should be taken as idiomatic.

Rivaldo wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_FZdx5eEA
The title of that Youtube clip is correct, but that's not the song. Link to the real song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkxypth-jyU

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”