Grammatical differences between Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Grammatical differences between Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian?

Postby aaakknu » 2017-04-08, 20:13

Are there a lot of them?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Levike

Re: Grammatical differences between Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian?

Postby Levike » 2017-04-08, 21:05

I didn't learn neither of them, but sometimes looked a bit into the three.

As far as I see, they are basically the same when it comes to grammar.

When I searched for differences, most things were about some few words being different in one or two letters.

Although I might be wrong.

My question would be whether the accents are really different, whether a Serbian speaker can be easily differentiated from a Croat or Bosnian on his accent?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-06-03, 17:43

Levike wrote:I didn't learn neither of them, but sometimes looked a bit into the three.

As far as I see, they are basically the same when it comes to grammar.

When I searched for differences, most things were about some few words being different in one or two letters.

Although I might be wrong.

My question would be whether the accents are really different, whether a Serbian speaker can be easily differentiated from a Croat or Bosnian on his accent?

Thanks for the answer!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-06-13, 17:34

Perhaps it has been mentioned before but there seem to be differences (or just different preferences?) in the use of the infinitive:

► Show Spoiler

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_standard_Bosnian,_Croatian,_Montenegrin_and_Serbian

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-20, 7:24

There are certain constructions that are associated more strongly with either Serbian on the one hand or Croatian on the other, with Bosnian (IIRC) often tending to agree with Serbian but following Croatian patterns increasingly often. In reality, though, none of this is even close to being hard and fast rules, and you will find both Serbian and Croatians using both patterns.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2019-09-16, 13:33

Levike wrote:As far as I see, they are basically the same when it comes to grammar.

Yes, that's true.

Levike wrote:My question would be whether the accents are really different, whether a Serbian speaker can be easily differentiated from a Croat or Bosnian on his accent?

They are, however it gets complicated. Often it's connected to religion, and, for example, the people who are Orthodox Christians consider themselves Serbs, wherever in the region they're from (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, etc.) - and they speak Serbian language, although their accent is the same as Croats and Bosniaks from the same area.

Same goes for the other two groups. Catholics consider themselves Croatian wherever they're from (unless they're Hungarians or some other nationality), and Muslims even in Serbia (Sandžak) consider themselves Bosniaks although them and their ancestors have lived in this same territory, and haven't come from the territory of the present-day Bosnia...

So, at the end of the day, a lot of the times, their language can only be differentiated based on what their name is :lol:
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”