Disguised English Words - Common usage

basica
Disguised English Words - Common usage

Postby basica » 2015-07-08, 6:56

Is it me, or are there like A LOT of english loan words in BCS? Furthermore, are they in common use? I just see them popping up a lot that I sometimes (paranoidly) wonder if google/wiktionary are having me on. I don't of course rely on them solely for vocabulary but even if I look at a news article I fair better in comprehension than say from a book or a forum post.

Anyone know what percentage english words make up BCS now? I know it sounds ludicrous but at times I almost feel like I'm cheating because of all these words... :lol:
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Beginner: [flag=]sr[/flag]

Патрислав Андреевич

Re: Disguised English Words - Common usage

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-07-09, 9:44

Could you give some examples? Serbian only really started borrowing new words from English very recently, and mostly in the science and technology fields. It does however have many international loanwords, many more than Croatian, for example, where they're translated (names of the months come to mind first.)

basica

Postby basica » 2015-07-09, 12:41

I mean, there's loads of examples..I can understand that political, science, math and technology vocabulary being international but I've noticed plenty of words which seem to me out of place (though some have serbian equivalents). Examples off the top of my head are: fin, par, istorija, kulturan, interesantan, kulminacije, tretirati, organizovati. I mean there's more if I can be bothered going through my anki deck but yeah, perhaps these are german or otherwise other european borrowings that just happen to share similarities with english words, it's just really surprising to see though.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-07-09, 13:27

All of them are borrowed from Latin or Greek either directly or through German/French. ;)

fin - through German fein, from Latin fino
par - through German Paar, from Latin par
istorija - from Greek historía
kulturan - from Latin cultūra
interesantan - from Latin interesse
kulminacija - through French culmination from Latin culminare
tretirati - through French traiter, from Latin tractare
organizovati - through French organiser, from Latin organizare

Polish has cognates with all of them as well. :)

basica

Postby basica » 2015-07-09, 13:42

Cool :) Thanks for clearing that up. Where did you find this etymological information btw? It would be most interesting to me :D

EDIT: I'm guessing since Polish has cognates with them (which I just saw in your reply), that's probably how you are aware but just in case I'll leave my question here.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-07-09, 15:27

English loanwords are found in the computer-world and in the business-world, not so much in other contexts. The very words kompjuter and biznis are obviously English loanwords. Then we have marketing, menadžer, ketering and lizing for example.

There are a lot of English loanwords which I'm not sure have been accepted into the standard language like the word tim-lider which is a pretty common word in any office.

You can listen to this guy for example, he uses a bunch of English loanwords because he works with marketing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM6iOxN ... l-&index=1

He talks about komjuniti and kraudsorsing and about the difference between marketing and advertajzing.

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”