Hrvatski - Sean of the Dead

Sean of the Dead
Hrvatski - Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-12-23, 21:27

I have no questions about learning the language yet, but first I would like to know if someone could identify this text, as either Croatian or Serbian:

Odrasli su mi savjetovali da je bolje da se bavim geografijom, istorijom, matematikom i gramatikom nego crtanjam zmijskog cara spolja ili iznutra. I tako sam u šestoj godini prekinuo sjajnu slikarsku karijeru. Bio sam obeshrabren neuspjehom svog prvog i drugog crteža. Odrasli nikad ništa ne shvataju sami, a djecu zamara da im stalno daju objašnjenja.
Morao sam, dakle, da izaberem neki drugi poziv i naučio sam da upravljam avionom. Letio sam svuda pomalo. A geografija mi je, to je tačno, mnogo koristila. Umio sam da na prvi pogled razlikujem Kinu od Arizone. A to je vrlo korisno ako čovjek zaluta noću.

I hope there's enough in there to be able to tell which it is, but if not, I can post more of it. I want to learn Croatian because it is the ancestry of the person I'm learning it with, and its names for months and days are way cooler than Serbian. :lol: If this text is in Serbian, I wouldn't want to be learning words (even if only a little different in most cases) from a different language.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hrvatski - Sean of the Dead

Postby voron » 2009-12-23, 23:35

Sean of the Dead wrote:If this text is in Serbian, I wouldn't want to be learning words (even if only a little different in most cases) from a different language.

The difference between Serbian and Croatian is commonly compared to that between BrE and AmE (or said to be even less). Would you ever advise a learner of BrE to avoid any American input? ;)

As for your question, I would suggest that the translation was intended for the speakers of Bosnian. :D

kibo

Postby kibo » 2009-12-23, 23:44

Is this from the Little Prince?

It's hard to tell (on such a small piece of text), it most certainly is in Ijekavian, but some words (istorija and not povijest) suggest it was probably translated into a more neutral variety.

edit: voron je bio brži :pff:
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-12-23, 23:46

kibo wrote: some words (istorija and not povijest)

How about geografija and not zemljopis?
Oh, and avion would probably become zrakoplov? :D

kibo

Postby kibo » 2009-12-23, 23:51

Hmm, I think geografija is used quite normally in Croatia. :)

Avion should be pretty usable too, but I'm less sure.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-12-23, 23:56

voron wrote:Would you ever advise a learner of BrE to avoid any American input? ;)

Yes, I would. :D Well, at least in the beginning, I don't want to be confusing "dialectal" words where they don't belong.

As for your question, I would suggest that the translation was intended for the speakers of Bosnian. :D

Bosnian? :doggy:

Perhaps you could tell if you saw more of it? And yes, it is The Little Prince. :wink:
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2009-12-24, 10:41

I am almost sure it's not Croatian. Like Voron said in Croatian it should be zemljopis and zrakoplov, also povijest, but also I've noticed he uses planeta and not planet.
It is either ijekavian Serbian(Eastern Herzgovinian) or Bosnian.(The difference is only in the name).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-12-24, 13:00

Sean of the Dead wrote:Bosnian? :doggy:

Why making a face, Bosnian is awesomest :D

And btw the text is interspersed with aorist which would either not be typical for Croatian imho.
(aorist is awesomest too :D)

Lalaith en Noldor

Postby Lalaith en Noldor » 2009-12-29, 21:36

Veliki su mi savjetovali da prestanem crtati zmije boe, iznutra ili izvana, i da se radije pozabavim zemljopisom, poviješću, računicom i jezikom. Tako sam u šestoj godini napustio blistavo slikarsko zvanje. Obeshrabrilo me što nisam uspio s crtežom br. 1 i s crtežom br. 2. Odrasli nikada sami ništa ne shvaćaju i klincima je muka uvijek im sve iznova pojašnjavati.
Tako sam morao naći novo zanimanje, pa sam naučio upravljati zrakoplovima. Letio sam amo-tamo po svijetu. I zemljopis mi je, istina, mnogo pomogao. Umio sam na prvi pogled razlikovati Kinu od Arizone. Ako noću zalutaš, to ti zbilja pomaže.

That would be the same extract from "The Little Prince", in Croatian.

Rumpetroll wrote:I am almost sure it's not Croatian. Like Voron said in Croatian it should be zemljopis and zrakoplov

Lately /* in the last 3-4 years, I think*/ the school subject is refered to as geografija, and not zemljopis, but I have no idea why is that. I hear zemljopis more often than geografija. And avion is also more common than zrakoplov (at least in spoken language. As for book language, I'm not sure).
(hr) - native, (en) - proficient, (hu) - advanced, (pl)- dabbling in, (de) - love-hate relationship

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”