Croatia under Hungarian rule

Levo
Croatia under Hungarian rule

Postby Levo » 2008-10-03, 22:56

Hi!
I am from Hungary, and since we don't learn enough about it, I would like to ask Croatians:
What is the opinion of Croats about those 800 years until most parts of Croatia belonged to Hungary?
Were we bad occupants? (:

eltigre

Re: Croatia under Hungarian rule

Postby eltigre » 2008-10-06, 10:39

I don't know what is the purpose of this question... :( This is a language-related site . Not history.

First of all Croatia was not "part of Hungary"!it was the Hungaro-Croatian personal union which existed (1102–1526 ). Some 200 years was Hunarian dinasty ruling. Others were later

Croatian had its own parliament, viceroy etc. (unlike Transilvania ,Slovakia , future Vojvodina etc. )

No, we don't consider Hungarian as some "bad occupants". Magyrs had that image during Austro-Hungary but now it is meaningless.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-06, 19:01

eltigre wrote:I don't know what is the purpose of this question... :( This is a language-related site . Not history.

First of all Croatia was not "part of Hungary"!it was the Hungaro-Croatian personal union which existed (1102–1526 ). Some 200 years was Hunarian dinasty ruling. Others were later

Croatian had its own parliament, viceroy etc. (unlike Transilvania ,Slovakia , future Vojvodina etc. )

No, we don't consider Hungarian as some "bad occupants". Magyrs had that image during Austro-Hungary but now it is meaningless.

To be honest with you, I know exactly about the same facts, and when I said "when Croatia belonged to Hungary" and using the word "occupant" was on that purpose that I wanted to be as polite as I could. I can never be sure how bad people think about that period.
Hvala dobro for your answers!
And yeah, I hate it too when someone puts a non-linguistical thread into the Hungarian sub-forum, but as there are no Croatians reading the "cultures" or the "political" forums I could never ever expect any answers if I put it there. Sorry if I contaminated it, just I had no other choice.
Thanks again, then maybe Croatians don't hate us that much :D (as others)

eltigre

Postby eltigre » 2008-10-11, 10:47

The most negatve (today )that you can hear sometimes about Hungarians in Croatia are (dirty) jokes about Hungarian language and cursing Hungarian people when they can not understand poeple that speak no other language but their own one. The 2nd thing of course is individual , and mostly with elder people.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-12, 11:39

Well, it is interesting to hear something at least, because here there aren't any kind of general opinions about Croatians, neither good, nor bad. But it's a good start already to be neutral. I wonder if the motorway through Osijek to the border is already ready? In Hungary they are so slow with it on our side. It would be good to be connected to Slavonia also, I am thinking about a trip to Osijek actually.

eltigre

Postby eltigre » 2008-10-21, 14:15

Well, neither in Croatia there is no general opinion about Hungarians.

Amoung the neighbour nations Hungarians have the best ranking.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-22, 18:00

eltigre wrote:Well, neither in Croatia there is no general opinion about Hungarians.

Amoung the neighbour nations Hungarians have the best ranking.

I think it's the same here. I heard about only one international issue with Slovenia, and it was about a bad advertisement in Slovania about Hungary "How bad place Hungary is" or like that.
As for Austria...Don't know why, but we have more connection with Germany actually :)
And on the contrary with all these, we applied together for organizing the Football EC with Croatia.

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”