The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The last thing you read

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-05, 4:17

I'm not sure, but that would probably be the story of King Harischandra.

The last thing you read in (one of) your heritage language(s).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-10-26, 6:34

Book of Animals and What They Do: a book of sentences in Cree describing what they do in both singular and plural. It's actually very smart doing this, as it has the plural equivalents of the singular sentences and kinda forces the reader to make the connection as to what turns nouns plural, how verbs agree, etc. Practical.

The last thing you read that questioned the morality/ethicality/etc of the State.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-26, 12:06

Hmm, in a way, probably Pithaamahan, a novel in Malayalam by V. K. N. I get the impression that V. K. N. was always pretty critical of the Indian political establishment. His readers overall even seem to sort of give him a free pass on sexism for that reason, since the women he makes sexist comments about AFAICT are specifically women in the highest levels of (political) society (especially in the early 20th century, during the colonial period).

The last thing you read in which one of the characters clearly suffers from a sex-related problem. (E.g. sexual impotence, erectile dysfunction, an STI/STD...)

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-10-26, 18:14

"Choice theory" by William Glasser, where he described how the lack of trust in people caused by a childhood trauma can impact sexual life.

The last thing you read that you really wish you hadn't.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-26, 19:30

This awful mystery novel by someone named Sandra Brown. I was reading it aloud to my husband in the hospital. It was a real relief when he became strong enough to read it himself.

The last thing you read aloud to someone else.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-27, 3:19

I guess that would be Chapter 13 of Randidangazhi by Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai. :P If you mean almost a whole literary work, though, it would be my grandfather's war memoirs. And if you mean literally a whole literary work, then Pithaamahan again.

The last anachronistic thing you read.

opipik

Postby opipik » 2016-10-27, 8:46

vijayjohn wrote:The last anachronistic thing you read.

An old children's comic where the time-traveller showed the protagonists the building of a bridge with people dressed as cavemen and other people in medieval clothes.

The last thing you read that contained more than three samples of natural languages.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-29, 2:50

My grandfather's war memoirs/diary, with a few phrases in Burmese, a few quotes in English, a few slogans (and the name of a patriotic song) in Hindi, and more quotes with a few words of Japanese in them.

The last play you read.

opipik

Postby opipik » 2016-11-03, 19:05

The last play you read.

Probably RUR by Karel Čapek.

----

The last thing you read that you didn't like.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-11-03, 23:03

The results of some latest presidential polls in America.

The last thing you read that was recommended to you by a friend.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-11-04, 1:31

Single version by Scott Barsotti, a local playwright. My friend gave me the book, in fact. I thought it was outstanding for a debut novel.

The last thing you read because you thought you should.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-04, 2:38

Pretty much everything I read is stuff I read because I think I should. So that would be the last thing I read: a short story in an issue of Mathrubhumi Azhchappathippu by someone named Pramod Raman called [prəd̪iˈɕiːrʃəbʱoːgəm], meaning "Per Capita Sex." Maybe I shouldn't have actually read it, though. I didn't get the story.

The last thing you read in which the author satirizes, or at least pokes fun at, their own community.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-25, 7:49

Maybe "Rehepapp" by Andrus Kivirähk. But to be honest, I've read only the first chapter. (We read it together in our Estonian class and discused it).

The last thing you read in which there were many neologisms invented by the author.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-12-25, 10:50

That was probably a book by Marten Toonder, who was very creative with language. Several of the new words and expressions he came up with are now common in Dutch. Many of his books would also fit the previous question about satire.

The last thing you read that was not in English or your native language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 15:32

(Yay, this game's been revived!) Probably a short (one-page) story in Vlax Romani that my advisor had included in the course packet he made for the Romani Studies class I took with him as an undergraduate. I think it's either "Apple Pie and Coffee" or "O Kitajìcko Rrom" (The Chinese Rom). The first is a joke from the US about a hapless European Rom who doesn't speak English, and the second is a story from Russia mainly about a Rom who spends several years in China.

The other stories in that packet are an Aesop's fable about the origin of wine, a traditional Romani story called "Le Trin Phrala" (The Three Brothers) about three brothers trying to improve their fortune, another American joke called "Dandalajlo Sapnjatar" (Bitten by a Female Snake) about a man who gets bitten on the penis while hunting for rabbits with a friend, verses 1-10 of the first book of Ruth from the Bible, another traditional story called "O dilo thaj leske duj phrala" (The idiot and his two brothers) that I've only read once and don't remember too well, a short European (Romanian?) story called "O Rrom kaj či phendja khanči" (The Rom who didn't say anything) about a man attempting to impress his family, and a dirty American joke called "E Bidošali" (The Virgin).

There is one more story called "E Rromni e Lipsime" (The Greedy Romni), which to me is fascinating because it's incredibly similar to a very old Panchatantra story I know. There are similar stories in Europe (I have heard at least two European stories like this, and IIRC they were both about a woodcutter who finds a wish-fulfilling tree, and his wife becomes more and more greedy about getting things from the tree. The Panchatantra and Romani versions are similar except that they are both about a fish rather than a tree).
Irusia wrote:Maybe "Rehepapp" by Andrus Kivirähk. But to be honest, I've read only the first chapter. (We read it together in our Estonian class and discused it).

I didn't realize until just now that you actually go for Estonian classes. Are those really available in Ukraine? :o

The last thing you read but haven't finished reading yet.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-12-26, 8:29

I'm reading a Swedish novel taking place in Latvia "Les chiens de Riga"
I'm more than halfway into the book and as it started in a great way, it's getting a little boring. It's not mine (I took it from the public library) so if I cannot get it to the end that won't be the end of the world :D

The last thing you read with a child on your lap.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-28, 7:36

I don't think I've ever had a child in my lap. If I did, it was so long ago I've forgotten. I'm pretty sure I did read one of my niece's books with her, though. I just don't remember which one. Probably some Curious George book or something.

The last diary you read.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-28, 9:43

vijayjohn wrote:I didn't realize until just now that you actually go for Estonian classes. Are those really available in Ukraine? :o

Yes, I have Estonian classes in my university. AFAIK, it is the only university in Ukraine where Estonian language classes are available. (At least, it is the only one in this list). Our teacher is a native speaker from Estonia.
It's already the third year of my Estonian studies. I started when I was a first year student. During last three semesters we also had Estonian literature classes. Unfortunately, it is not possible to study Estonian as a major, so it's just an additional subject for me. My main languages in the university are English and Spanish. (Though I began studying Spanish only in the second semester, when I'd been studying Estonian for half a year already, and I think I speak Estonian better than Spanish :D).
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-12-29, 6:47

vijayjohn wrote:The last diary you read.

It was yours, Vijay! :D Or more accurately, your grandfather's diary, or the translation you made of it. Actually I started to read and went into 20 pages of it this summer but then I couldn't carry on and lost the file :oops: :oops: but I feel I should finish the proof-reading work as I promised :yep:

The last music score you read.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 7:05

Let me know if you need me to send it to you again then. As for the last music score I read, I actually don't know, but I'm tempted to think it was the score of the National Anthem of Independent Neutral Turkmenistan (Garaşsyz, Bitarap Türkmenistanyň Döwlet Gimni).

The last thing you read that specifically mentioned Jews.

Return to “Literature”