What are you currently reading? (part 2)

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

linguoboy

Re: What are you currently reading? (part 2)

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 17:35

Still making slooooooooow progress with Ulitskaya. Maybe I should just switch to something else.

I made a stab again at Barbery's L'Élégance du hérisson but I'm not sure I'm interested in reading that much dense French right now. I also tried Goytisolo's Fin de fiesta, but I beached on the reefs of all his nautical terminology. Seriously, there's a sentence on page four or five that I read aloud to one of my native-speaking friends and he had no idea what was being described either.

In the meantime, I bought and read The wallcreeper by Nell Fink, which is a curious little novel about two Americans coming to Europe and having wacky adventures in Bern, Berlin, and the Balkans. It's fairly picaresque, though there is something of a character arc and bits of philosophising, but I was reading mostly for the narrator's odd point-of-view and aperçus.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

lingasms

Postby lingasms » 2017-05-19, 0:30

I've been slowly reading two books (very slowly, as in, it's taken months due to university readings taking priority). One is Radclyffe Hall's "The Well of Loneliness" from 1928, which the Irish Times described as "the Bible of lesbianism" and was promptly banned on publication. Its' the first book in YEARS that has made me cry in public. The other book is a historical novel in Dutch, that my girlfriend's mother gave me as a Christmas gift, Simone van der Vlugt's "Rode sneeuw in December". It's really rather easy, though it uses some antiquated lexicon here and there, definitely a good, easy read (I have also been reading bits out loud to my girlfriend to improve my pronounciation) :D I'm quite excited to have more time for recreational reading this summer, just today I gave the last exam of my whole undergraduate degree. Unread books, here I come.
Italian (native); English (C2); Dutch (B1-B2); French (B1-B2); Russian (B1); Danish (B1); German (A2-B1)
I've lived in Italy, Russia, Scotland, the Netherlands
 (it)  (en)  (nl)  (fr)  (ru)  (da)  (de)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-19, 1:12

I still haven't finished writing out my grandfather's diary and have temporarily abandoned (trying to read, recite, and memorize) Mayura Sandesham. I'm struggling to review the huge laundry list of vocabulary words I've been getting out of his diary (while simultaneously coming to realize that most of these words are kind of useless to me...).

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-05-20, 9:56

One is Radclyffe Hall's "The Well of Loneliness" from 1928, which the Irish Times described as "the Bible of lesbianism" and was promptly banned on publication.
Well, now I have to read this!

Return to “Literature”