silent letters

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: silent letters

Postby linguoboy » 2013-07-24, 16:53

JackFrost wrote:Some people actually still say poêle as [pwɛl]. Like me.

Moé itou! Of course, I speak a crazed variety of the language where the -ent in dorment isn't silent.

"Simplifying" the spelling of a pluricentric language is always a lot more of an undertaking that it seems at first glance.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-24, 18:31

JackFrost wrote:Some people actually still say poêle as [pwɛl]. Like me.
So was I until somebody on the Internet (a Frenchman, sans doubt) told me that was wrong and it was [pwal]. I think I'ma go back to the way I said it before.
The <-en-> for <-ent> is a schwa, which is needed in certain situations.
When? I thought it was always silent. Or maybe French is like English in that you can add epinthetic schwas here and there as needed, like " umberella".
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-07-24, 18:37

It's not a word I pronounce a lot but I think I say [pwɛl].
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2013-07-24, 18:46

mōdgethanc wrote:When? I thought it was always silent. Or maybe French is like English in that you can add epinthetic schwas here and there as needed, like " umberella".
I think the best term might be historical-epenthetic. There's an older style of French, still used for classical singing, in which "-e", "-es" and "-ent" endings are pronounced as schwas, and in vernacular speech these can be revived for euphony. But I don't think you can make a schwa in this manner if there wasn't one historically.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Prosper_Youplaboum

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2013-08-03, 18:49

In the south of France they pronounce schwas almost everywhere there's a "mute" e. They even add schwas sometimes when the word ends with a consonant sound :mrgreen:

[i dɔʁmə] :)
Agur Xibe’ua,
Bazter güzietako xokho’ik eijerrena,
Agur sor lekhia,
Zu’i ditit ene ametsik goxuenak.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-03, 20:09

Lazar Taxon wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:When? I thought it was always silent. Or maybe French is like English in that you can add epinthetic schwas here and there as needed, like " umberella".
I think the best term might be historical-epenthetic. There's an older style of French, still used for classical singing, in which "-e", "-es" and "-ent" endings are pronounced as schwas, and in vernacular speech these can be revived for euphony. But I don't think you can make a schwa in this manner if there wasn't one historically.

French does use epinthetic schwas that aren't historical too. The rule of thumb: no more than two consonants in a row (<-str->, etc. are a few exceptions). It's easier to say arc-boutant as /aʀkəbutɑ̃/ than /aʀkbutɑ̃/ for example.

As saying <-ent> as a schwa doesn't happen often in everyday French and I can't think of many situations that would require it. Just the inversion: [...] que disent Strass et Dupont. /kdizə stʀɑs e dypɔ̃/
Neferuj paħujkij!

Prosper_Youplaboum

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2013-08-06, 0:10

rench does use epinthetic schwas that aren't historical too. The rule of thumb: no more than two consonants in a row (<-str->, etc. are a few exceptions). It's easier to say arc-boutant as /aʀkəbutɑ̃/ than /aʀkbutɑ̃/ for example.

As saying <-ent> as a schwa doesn't happen often in everyday French and I can't think of many situations that would require it. Just the inversion: [...] que disent Strass et Dupont. /kdizə stʀɑs e dypɔ̃/

i say [aʁgbutɑ̃] and [kə dis stʁas e dypɔ̃] :)
Agur Xibe’ua,
Agur sor lekhia,

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-06, 1:18

I didn't say it'd be impossible for a French speaker to say them like that though. :P

All I'm saying that French speakers tend to avoid "heavy" consonant clusters in the standard language.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Prosper_Youplaboum

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2013-08-06, 19:50

Je penser parler français standard et les prononciations que tu as données font pas naturel, à mon avis, même si elles sont pas hyper choquantes :)
En y réfléchissant, je me rends compte que je dis [aʁgbutɑ̃ ] mais plutôt [saʁkəbute] (s'arc-bouter) :)
Par contre j'utilise bien un schwa dans "ours blanc" [uʁsəblɑ̃ ]
Agur Xibe’ua,
Agur sor lekhia,

Return to “French (Français)”