Hebrew grammar through history

Isasa31
Hebrew grammar through history

Postby Isasa31 » 2015-10-25, 0:07

The reinvention of hebrew as a modern,spoken language leaves me concerns about the change of his grammar through the time.so I'd like to know how much has changed with respect to biblical hebrew?

Lemanensis
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Re: Hebrew grammar through history

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-10-25, 9:14

Isasa31 wrote:The reinvention of hebrew as a modern,spoken language leaves me concerns about the change of his grammar through the time.so I'd like to know how much has changed with respect to biblical hebrew?

One place to start is here: http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch/#About_the_language

There are two articles about this debate. The short of it is that any living language will evolve with the times and society, despite religious and linguistic conservatism.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

Isasa31

Postby Isasa31 » 2015-10-26, 0:05

Thanks.

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2016-11-30, 17:48

A late answer but I just joined the forum. When I compare the differences between Old English or Old High German with the modern languages and then compare Biblical Hebrew with modern Hebrew, I would say that there has been less change from BH to MH. If you've learned to read BH, then MH is not much of a problem, but OHG is almost incomprehensible to a modern German.
Yours, CAmbron

Drink

Postby Drink » 2017-06-05, 22:07

I happened to come across this thread and just wanted to add an important point. Modern Hebrew did not pop up out of nowhere as a revival of a completely dead Biblical Hebrew. Hebrew was still a living language in many ways (even if not a day-to-day spoken language) continuously from biblical times to this very day, and through out this time it was continuously evolving and adapting new vocabulary to refer to new things in new places and times. If you look at the written Hebrew from even before the Haskalah, such as the language of the Shulchan Aruch, you will notice it is much more similar to Modern Hebrew than it is to Biblical, and perhaps equally similar to Modern as it is to Mishnaic.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”