Hebrew Translation Game

Mikey93
Re: Hebrew Translation Game

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-24, 9:16

Golv wrote:You can't say השולט של since שולט isn't a noun. (you may be confusing it with the word שליט)

I do like your choice of תבל, which coincidentally shares the exact same root as תבלין (and is in fact identical to the proper singular form of תבלין in Aramaic, from which language the word comes), and must wonder whether it was consciously made with this thought in mind or were you just looking for a fancy word for "universe". Kinda clever. :)

Also note that תבל is indefinite.

Yeah, I've confused the two words. :?
I was initially thinking of ספייס|יקום, but תבלין|תבל struck me as a bit more ingenious, precisely because of the reason you have mentioned.
Anyway, I've come to realize, that in my previous post I've used nota accusativi incorrectly, haven't I?
Mikey93 wrote:לְהַרְאוֹת אֶת שְׂבִיעַת רָצוֹן

Golv wrote:
בינוניות ללא תקנה מושלת פה, האנשים חסרי עמוד שדרה, זוועות מחרידות הן שגרת היום, מבוך האי-יושר כבר לא מזעזע אף אחד, אין כאן מלבד טורפים צמאי-דם אימתניים וקורבנותיהם חסרי הישע.

Would it be possible to use בלתי עביר for "insurmountable" here?

Golv wrote:Meh, let's go for something easy this time.

אָה, הָבָה נְתַרְגֵם מַשֶהוּ קַל הַפַּעַם.

See that you are suitably dressed.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-07-25, 8:27

Mikey93 wrote:
נָהוּג לַחֲשוֹב שֶחֲתוּלִים מְגַרְגֵרִים כְּדֵי לְהַרְאוֹת אֶת שְׂבִיעוּת רָצוֹן (או: את שביעות רצונם), אֲבָל בְּהִתְחַשֵב בכך/בזה שֶהֵם גַם מְגַרְגֵרִים כְּשֶהֵם שְרוּיִים בִּמצוקה אוֹ סוֹבְלִים מִכְּאֵב, אֵין שוּם סָפֵק שֶזֶה הֶסְבֵּר לֹא מְסַפֵּק.

Mikey93 wrote:Anyway, I've come to realize, that in my previous post I've used nota accusativi incorrectly, haven't I?
Right, I was just correcting this. Nice catch!
I also believe it should be מְגַרְגְּרִים with a mobile schwa replacing the tseire, but my knowledge of niqqud isn't enough to be sure.
Mikey93 wrote:Would it be possible to use בלתי עביר for "insurmountable" here?
Not really. In general it's a good translation for "insurmountable", but it means literally something that one cannot pass.
Mikey93 wrote:See that you are suitably dressed.
שים לב שאתה לבוש כראוי / שימי לב שאת לבושה כראוי.

(reusing my own notes again :P )
I also believe it should be מְגַרְגְּרִים with a mobile schwa replacing the tseire, but my knowledge of niqqud isn't enough to be sure.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-07-25, 11:51

Babelfish wrote:I also believe it should be מְגַרְגְּרִים with a mobile schwa replacing the tseire, but my knowledge of niqqud isn't enough to be sure.

בנוסף, אני סבור שזה אמור להיות "מְגַרְגְּרִים" עם שווא נע במקום הצירה, אבל איני בקיא מספיק בניקוד כדי לומר בביטחון.

One of the small joys my little knowledge of German permits me is being able to look at Hebrew family names and tell at once whether it has been hebrewtized and from which original surname. Thus, when I've recently encountered בן גביר I knew immediately that it had to be "edelsohn" once upon a time, and that אבן-שושן, for instance, cannot be anything else but "rosenstein".

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-25, 15:50

Golv wrote:
Babelfish wrote:I also believe it should be מְגַרְגְּרִים with a mobile schwa replacing the tseire, but my knowledge of niqqud isn't enough to be sure.

בנוסף, אני סבור שזה אמור להיות "מְגַרְגְּרִים" עם שווא נע במקום הצירה, אבל איני בקיא מספיק בניקוד כדי לומר בביטחון.

Indeed, there should be the mobile š'wa ... and as of now, I'm giving up on vocalization. At least for the most part.
One of the small joys my little knowledge of German permits me is being able to look at Hebrew family names and tell at once whether it has been hebrewtized and from which original surname. Thus, when I've recently encountered בן גביר I knew immediately that it had to be "edelsohn" once upon a time, and that אבן-שושן, for instance, cannot be anything else but "rosenstein".

אחת מהשמחות הקטנות שידיעתי הקלושה של גרמנית מרשה לי, זה להיות מסוגל להסתכל על שמות משפחה עבריים ולהגיד בבת אחת אם הוא נִתְעַבְרֵת ומאיזה שם משפחה מקורי. לכן, כאשר לאחרונה נתקלתי ב"בן גביר" ידעתי מיד שזה היה מוכרח להיות פעם "EDELSOHN", ולדוגמה "אבן שושן" לא יכול להיות שום דבר אחר חוץ מ"ROSENSTEIN".

Phew, you gave me a really hard time with this one. :cry:

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-07-28, 13:28

Mikey93 wrote:Phew, you gave me a really hard time with this one.

פיי יא אללה, ממש זימברת אותי עם זה.

You actually managed quite well!
The only two corrections I'd insist to make is replace "נתעברת" with "עוברת", and "לכן" with "כך".

This game is a lot more entertaining when I permit myself to use slang language.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-29, 2:29

I'm glad you've changed the "improper" language to slang. :D
המשחק הזה הרבה יותר מבדר כשאני מרשה לעצמי להשתמש בסלנג.

New Windows 10 reacts quite responsively, which is a very pleasant fact.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-07-31, 17:40

הWindows החדש מגיד בתגובות, וזה ועבדה נעימה מאוד.

You can run Windows OS on some Apple products.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-08-01, 14:22

Saim wrote:
הWindows החדש מגיב בתגובות מהר / במהירות, וזו עובדה נעימה מאוד.

You can run Windows OS on some Apple products.
אפשר להריץ את מערכת ההפעלה Windows על מוצרים מסוימים של אפל. (really? :shock: )

Why is it that everything enjoyable is illegal, immoral or fattening?? (I hope I got it right)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-08-04, 22:42

למה הכל שמהנה לא חוקי, בלתי מוסרי או משמין?

Let's keep it between ourselves.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-08-07, 18:07

Mikey93 wrote:
למה כל מה שמהנה לא חוקי, בלתי מוסרי או משמין?

Let's keep it between ourselves.
בוא נשמור את זה בינינו.

So they demoted Pluto from "planet" status, lest they have to call Sedna and a bunch of other rocks "planets" as well. Meh :x

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-08-11, 8:53

אז הם הורדו פלוטו מדרגת כוכב לכת, לבל יצטרכו לקרוא גם לסדנה ולסלעים אחרים כוכבי לכת.

They used the issue as a red herring.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-08-15, 3:14

Mikey93 wrote:
אז הם הורידו את פלוטו מדרגת כוכב לכת, לבל יצטרכו לקרוא גם לסדנה ולסלעים אחרים כוכבי לכת.

I think that other than being extremely uncolloquial and close to obsolete, לבל is actually contextually wrong here.
It is normally used to imply strongly undesired consequences if the aftermentioned is to be fulfilled.
בל is used as a warning word.

I'd use שמא. It is more neutral.
BTW, isn't this news like a decade old?

They used the issue as a red herring.

הם ניצלו את הנושא לשם הסחה.

Yesterday I ate at Mcdonald's for the first time since 10 years - an ugly, overpriced hamburger in a bun. They should be sued for not specifying how drastically actual product may vary from image.

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2015-09-16, 4:33

אתמול אכלתי במקדונלד'ס בפעם הראשונה בעשר שנים - המבורגר מכוער ויקר מדי בלחם. הם צריכים להיתבע על כך שלא נוקבים עד כמה המוצר הממשי יכול להשתנות מהתמונה המוצגת.
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-09-25, 15:58

Hadronic wrote:אתמול אכלתי במקדונלד'ס בפעם הראשונה בעשר השנים האחרונות - המבורגר מכוער ויקר מדי בלחמניה. הם צריכים להיתבע* על כך שהם לא נוקבים מציינים עד כמה המוצר הממשי (האמיתי) יכול להשתנות להיות שונה מהתמונה המוצגת.

* more colloquially: צריך לתבוע אותם
Very few actual mistakes, actually - just a few words and expressions translated too literally. Not bad at all 8-) but where's your own sentence for translation?
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-10-18, 10:40

Hmm shall we start anew?
This book is based on nothing but lies and pure fiction.
הספר הזה אינו מבוסס אלא על שקרים ובדיון גמור.

Begging for mercy won't help. You will be sentenced to at least 5 years, or you might even be jailed for life.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-10-18, 12:17

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-10-20, 12:09

אני בן מהגרי אנדלוסיה. כמנהג באיביזה, להם שיש שתי שמות משפחה שמקורם באיביזה היו מתחילים מיד לדבר ספרדית כשהם היו מדברים איתי. אז אמי היתה מתערבת ואמרה "דברו איתו בקטלנית!".

Well, she's a science fiction writer but ironically writes quite imaginatively. I don't want to be too judgemental, but her arguments and the overall reasoning in some of the stories are an example of pure insanity. Nothing makes sense and it's clear that the writer works quite thoughtlessly and completely lacks any intelligence and thoughtfulness. Moreover, all her major characters think very unwisely in all crucial aspects of life. But none of this makes her accept any criticism, she's a very opinionated person.

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2015-10-29, 3:49

טוב, היא סופרת מדע בדיוני אבל באופן אירוני היא כותבת בצורה די יצירתית. אני לא מתכוון למתוח ביקורת קשה מדי עליה, אבל טענותיה והגיונה הכללי בכמה מסיפוריה הם דוגמה לטירוף צרוף. שום דבר לא עושה היגיון וברור שהסופרת עובדת כלאחר יד ושהיא חסרה שכל והתחשבות כלשהם. זאת ועוד, כל הדמויות הראשיות שלה חושבות בצורה לא חכמה בכל היבטים עקרוניים של החיים. אבל שום דבר מזה לא גורם לה לקבל ביקורת, כי היא בת-חווה מאוד עקשנית.

An engineering unit was throwing a temporary iron bridge across the square. I asked why they were building it but received no answer. A lone cannon rolled silently down the street... An overturned car lay at the intersection, its wheel still spinning in the air.
Last edited by Hadronic on 2015-10-30, 3:36, edited 1 time in total.
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-10-29, 21:11

יחידת מהנדסים בנו גשר זמני מעל הכיכר. ביקשתי למה בונים אותו שם אבל לא קיבלתי תגובה. תותח יחיד הסתובב דומם במורד הרחוב ... מכונית הפוכה נמצאה בצומת, וגלגלה עדיין הסתובב באוויר.

He's hinted at the possibility of travelling across America. And if he goes, I am surely not going to be his companion.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-11-01, 15:44

רמז על האפשרות שינסע לאמריקה. אם הוא ינסע, אני בתח לא אלוה אותו.

The first inhabitants migrated into the Americas from Asia. Habitation sites are known in Alaska and the Yukon from at least 20 000 years ago, with suggested ages of up to 40,000 years.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”