księżyc - עברית

księżycowy
Re: księży - עברית

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-15, 22:18

Rather then waste space in the person-below-me game, I figure I'd go over Bablefish's corrections and ask him some questions here.

księżycowy wrote:
כן, אני עובד ב־Wegmans.

Yeah, typo on that first one. :oops:
The second makes sense.

księżycowy wrote:
כן, מלבד אבל אני לא נסעתי.
בן האדם שמתחתיי רץ בבוקר.

I realized after having already posting that that אבל is a better fit for "but."
That second mistake is just crazy, I must have been typing fast. I have also been switching between two Hebrew keyboards. Either way, whoops.

księżycowy wrote:
כן, אני לומד עברית מקראית, ואני למדתי יוונית עתיקה ולטינית לכל הפחות. (???)
בן האדם שמתחתיי לומד רק שפה מעשית (שפות מעשיות).

In my response I was attempting to say that I have learned Biblical Hebrew and am going to learn Ancient Greek and Latin at the least. I assume by the ??? it came out a bit odd.

księżycowy wrote:
אני לא חפשתי תשובה פילוסופית, אבל טוב!

תשובה שונה לכל אחד.

בן האדם מלמטה שמתחתיי לעתים קרובות מהרהר בדברים.

Otheerwise it looks like the rest of this stuff is mostly gender agreement (I really need to start going over that), typos (I need a new pair of eyes :P ), and a few mistakes with some verb forms and those pesky attached prepositions. Good, it wasn't a horrible mess! :mrgreen: :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-16, 15:39

Any recommendations for some easy reading I could get into? (I should probably point out I mean for Modern Hebrew.)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-22, 16:12

księżycowy wrote:
księżycowy wrote:
כן, אני לומד עברית מקראית, ואני למדתי יוונית עתיקה ולטינית לכל הפחות. (???)
בן האדם שמתחתיי לומד רק שפה מעשית (שפות מעשיות).

In my response I was attempting to say that I have learned Biblical Hebrew and am going to learn Ancient Greek and Latin at the least. I assume by the ??? it came out a bit odd.

So that's the thing! Yes, it was difficult for me to guess what you had meant - למדתי is past tense... You should have used the future אלמד, or even better - מתכוון ללמוד (=intend to learn)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-23, 2:23

Darn it all, I must have gotten the verb tenses mix up. :oops:

Oh well, תודה Babelfish! :D

księżycowy

Re: księżyc - עברית

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-07, 15:39

Any suggestions for some (hopefully easy) literature I could get reading? Preferably something I could find online. Genre doesn't matter much to me, I was thinking of something like a short story.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-05-10, 16:29

Does it have to be good, or popular/recognizable?

If you don't mind amateur literature, you might find something here to your liking:

http://www.blipanika.co.il/?cat=2 (primarily sci-fi, but also other works that fall within the spectrum of speculative fiction).

I don't know of any other amateur writing outlets that can promise mature content, but if you aren't concerned about the quality of the stuff and only looking for practice material, then there is THIS site, which on a brief scan of the front page, seems to be mostly populated by teenagers.

...or I could direct you anywhere from Harry Potter fanfics to סיפורי צדיקים.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-10, 17:08

I think that stuff seems promising. At the moment I'm largely just looking for some stuff to practice with (you guessed right :) ). I'll check some of it out when I get home and am at my computer. Todah Golv!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-28, 22:23

Ok, I'm going through 1 Samuel fine until I come to 1:3, which has this odd form. I think (if my memory isn't as shot as I think it is :lol: ) that it's a hitpael verb form with the infinitive on it, but I'm not sure. The word in question is:
לְהִשְׁתַּחְַוֹת

ִIf this is a verb as I suspect, what is the root? I can of course give more context if it helps.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-05-30, 14:56

You're correct, it is the infinitive of hitpael. The root, however, is not only quadriliteral ש.ח.ו.ה but also weak due to the final ה. It means "to bow down".
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-30, 15:15

Wow, I was right! And a four radical root! I was afraid of it being a weak verb. I really need to go over those chapters of my textbook. I suppose this is as good a time as any. :P

Todah Bablefish!

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-06, 13:33

You're welcome! BTW I can't remember any other weak quadriliteral root right now, I think they're extremely rare and your textbook might omit them. Then again, their behavior seems to follow that of triliteral weak roots, e.g the infinitive ending in ות-.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-06, 13:50

Quite rare indeed. I have yet to work on the chapters on weak verbs, but I am curious to see if they say anything about quadriliteral roots. :P
I wouldn't be suprised if there was at least a passing note, considering how much detail the author tends to get into.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-07-20, 22:07

I've just created a new thread for my adventures in reading Biblical Hebrew:
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=43437
*Deep breath* Ah! you can still smell the freshness! :P

Of course, I'll still pose my questions here, but I just thought it might be nice to let interested parties know.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-27, 15:31

*Blows dust off* Been a while. :P

So, I'm back to making my way through 1Samuel, however I'm getting a bit stuck on 1:4. In particular the verbs(?) בניה and ובנותיה. From what I can tell these are both from בנה (he built), and suggests a figurative meaning. Am I on the right track?

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-02-27, 15:57

Hi! :)
Actually those are nouns (both irregular segolate nouns בּת - בָּנוֹת, בְּנוֹת-, בְּנוֹתֶיהָ and בָּנִים, בְּנִי-, בָּנֶיהָ-בּן) with added possessive suffixes. Both are in plural 3 fem. with singular suffixes. So it means her daughters and her sons.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-02-27, 16:29

Ah! Thanks a bunch!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-25, 15:04

So, I'm back to reviewing my Hebrew again!
At the moment I'm going through Assimil's Modern Hebrew course, which is pretty good IMO. The only thing I dislike is that the "readings" (i.e. the dialogues) contain the niqqud throughout.This is fine for the first time I go through them, but I need to get used to texts without the niqqud too, so I want to write out the texts in their whole unvowelled glory. That way it's more akin to the Assimil Arabic course, where I'll use the unvowelled texts in the second wave. Don't hesitate to let me know if I (or the authors for that matter) got something wrong. (I'll post these to a word document every so often, so they don't get lost in the shuffle, I just want to have them checked before I do so.)

I'll also ask questions and post things of interest too, like I was doing here before.

Assimil Lesson 3:
ככה, ככה
1. מה שלומך ליאור?
2. טוב.
3. מה שלומך שירלי?
4. ככה, ככה.

Assimil Lesson 4:
תודה
1. מה אתה שותה?
2. תה, תודה.
3. מה את שותה?
4. בירה, תודה.

UlpanOr

Postby UlpanOr » 2016-05-30, 7:50

Hi,
Indeed you have written well!
Good Luck

Ulpanor Team

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-05, 22:43

I'm back~~~~!

I'm using Assimil again. I'm still not quite done with my beginning Biblical Hebrew studies, but I figure I've waited long enough. I hope to post my questions and also translate things as I go along. I'm hoping that studying both Biblical and Modern Hebrew will help both ends and also help me access a lot more material on Jewish though and biblical thought.

Anyway, for now I'm just going to go through the first few lessons of Assimil. I'll probably select something to start translating shortly though. Not sure when I want to start that though.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-03-12, 11:01

księżycowy wrote:I'm back~~~~!

I'm using Assimil again. I'm still not quite done with my beginning Biblical Hebrew studies, but I figure I've waited long enough. I hope to post my questions and also translate things as I go along. I'm hoping that studying both Biblical and Modern Hebrew will help both ends and also help me access a lot more material on Jewish though and biblical thought.

Anyway, for now I'm just going to go through the first few lessons of Assimil. I'll probably select something to start translating shortly though. Not sure when I want to start that though.

כתבתי משהו, אבל הבנתי שלא קראתי את הפסוט שלך נכון אז מחקתי :D

בקיצור, מה קורה עם העברית שלך היום? :yep:

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”