צר לי / אני מצטער

AlanF_US
צר לי / אני מצטער

Postby AlanF_US » 2012-10-21, 3:23

I have some questions about these pairs of expressions. Are both used these days? Is one more informal than the other? Are there other distinctions I should know about?

(1) צר לי / אני מצטער

(2) כאן / פה

(3) תגיד לי / תאמר לי

(4) אין בעד מה / שום דבר

(5) אני אוהב גלידה / גלידה מוצא חן בעיני

:::

Also, can anyone tell me how to conjugate the verb תֵאֵר?
I'll take a stab at it:
תֵאַרתִי, תֵאַרתַ, תֵאַרת,תֵאֵר,תֵאַרַה,תֵאַרנוּ, תֵאַרתֶם,תֵאַרתֶן,תֵאַרוּ, תֵאַרנַה

מְתַאֵר,מְתַאֶרֶת,מְתַאַרִים, מְתֵאַרוֹת

אֶתַאֵר,תְתַאֵר,תְתַאַרִי, תְתַאֵר,תְתַאֵר, ,נְתַאֵר,תְתַאֵרוּ, ... יְתַאֵרוּ

Is that right? I'm particularly curious about the vowel under the alef.

Sorry that the first and second part of my questions aren't closely related, but I gather from moderators' responses to questions here that they prefer having a bunch of questions asked in one post rather than in multiple posts.

Thanks a lot!

Baldanders

Re: צר לי / אני מצטער

Postby Baldanders » 2012-10-22, 15:36

(1)צר לי [it grieves me] isn't necessarily apologetic and never quite as pronouncedly as אני מצטער[I apologise],rather it expresses one's regretfulness at a situation that he isn't necessarily responsible for.
The latter is more common in speech,the other being somewhat of a higher register.
(2) They are interchangeable.
(3) להגיד suggests to me a more elaborative action,to tell something in great detail rather than just say it.
(4) שום דבר means nothing,it may be used in other contexts as well.
(5) מוצא חן בעיניי [is to my liking/appealing to me] generally comments on the quality of an object[/the prospect of an idea] to your opinion,while אני אוהב means that you enjoy/like a thing in one way or another.

אני אוהב את הגלידה הזו - I love this ice-cream[I am familiar with its taste and enjoy it].
הגלידה הזו מוצאת חן בעיניי - This ice-cream is to my liking[I taste it for the first time and find it to my liking].
----
אֲתָאֵר,תְּתָאֵר,תְּתָאֲרִי, יתָאֵר,תְּתָאֵר, ,נְתָאֵר,תְּתָאֲרוּ,תְּתָאֵרְנָה,יְתָאֲרוּ,תְּתָאֵרְנָה
תֵּאַרְתִּי, תֵּאַרְתָּ, תֵּאַרת,תֵּאֵר,תֵּאֲרָה,תֵּאַרְנוּ, תֵּאַרְתֶּם,תֵּאַרְתֶּן,תֵּאֲרוּ,תֵּאֲרוּ
מְתָאֵר,מְתָאֶרֶת,מְתָאֲרִים,מְתָאֲרוֹת,

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2012-10-23, 1:23

נהדר! תודה רבה!‏

AlanF_US

כה/פה/כאן

Postby AlanF_US » 2012-11-11, 15:14

Here's an addition to my question: What about כה? Is it fully equivalent to פה and כאן?

Also, another tricky verb: נהנה. Unfortunately, I can't find a table for it anywhere. Again, I'll take a stab at trying to conjugate it myself. This time, I'll do it in present/past/future/imperative order:

present:
נֶהנֶה, נֶהנֵית, נֶהנִים, נֶהנוֹת
past:
נֶהנֵיתִי, נֶהנֵיתָ, נֶהנֵית, נֶהנֶה, נֶהנֵינוּ, נֶהנֵיכֶם, נֶהנֵיכֶן, נֶהנֵיתֶם, נֶהנֵיתֶן
future:
אֶהנֶה,תֶהנֶה, תֶהָנִי, יֶהנֶה, תֶהנֶה, נֶהנֶה, תֶהנוּ, תֶהנֵינָה, יֶהנוּ, תֶהנֵינָה
imperative:
הֵנָה, הֵנִי, הֵנוּ, הֵנֵינָה
infinitive:
לְהֵנָוֹת

In addition to correcting my errors in this conjugation, could you tell me how Israelis are likely to say "Enjoy!" "Enjoy the weekend!" "Enjoy your vacation!" both colloquially and formally (if they differ)? Thanks!

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2012-11-12, 15:07

כה means thus or that much[In a way similar to the adverbial use of English so].

Not common in speech.

present:
נֶהנֶה, נֶהנֵית, נֶהנִים, נֶהנוֹת
past:
נֶהנֵיתִי, נֶהנֵיתָ, נֶהנֵית, ֶנֵהנָה, נֶהנֵינוּ, נֵהֱנוּ,נֵהֱנוּ, נֶהנֵיתֶם, נֶהנֵיתֶן
future:
אֶהנֶה,תֶהנֶה, תֶהָנִי, יֶהנֶה, תֶהנֶה, נֶהנֶה, תֶהנוּ, תֶהנֵינָה, יֶהנוּ, תֶהנֵינָה
imperative:
הֵנָה, הֵנִי, הֵנוּ, הֵנֵינָה
infinitive:
לֵהַנוֹת

I am not sure about the imperative form,to be honest,mostly because it is practically non-existent in either speech or written form,but I think the second heh wouldn't be dropped,hence receiving : ההנה,ההני...

- תהנה!
- תהנה בסוף השבוע/שיהיה לך סוף שבוע מהנה!
- תהנה בחופשה/שתהיה חופשה מהנה!

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2012-11-16, 14:09

You omitted the 3rd person feminine past: she enjoyed נֶהֱנְתָּה.
You can actually find its full conjugation in http://www.hebrew-verbs.co.il/.
Golv is right about the imperative, it would be formed with an initial ה instead of the future tense ת, but it's not in use at all (Modern Hebrew speakers use the future tense instead of the imperative more often than not).
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2012-11-20, 3:34

Thanks, Babelfish. That's a very useful site.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”