זכר/נזכר -the difference?

tapuz
זכר/נזכר -the difference?

Postby tapuz » 2012-06-24, 10:19

I'm having a trouble understanding the difference between זכר and נזכר

Zakhar is pa'al and Nizcar is ni'fal und thus passive. However in 501 Hebrew Verbs, Nizcar is translated as 'recall, be reminded, be mentioned.'

And here's the example sentence:
אני זוכר את פניו, אבל איני מצליח להיזכר מתי ואיפה פגשתי אותו.
"I remember his face, but I am unable to recall when and where I met him."

Is the use of nizcar and zakhar interchangeable if you want it to use for 'to remember/recall"? Cause there's not much difference in English definition (or if there is, what is it, especially in this example sentence I just copied).

Further, what would this sentence mean:
אני נזכר בפניו, אבל איני מצליח לזכור מתי ואיפה פגשתי אותו.

This is what happens when you study foreing language via another foreign language :)
Native: Finnish (fi) Advanced: English (en) Intermediate: Swedish (sv) Hebrew (he) Dormant: German (de) Japanese (ja)

Baldanders

Re: זכר/נזכר -the difference?

Postby Baldanders » 2012-06-24, 16:05

זכר - remembered
נזכר - got/getting remembered

לזכור simply means having the memory of some information or past occurrence, whilst להיזכר is the triggered act of recollecting something back to memory,which is completely or partially forgotten.

Further, what would this sentence mean:
אני נזכר בפניו, אבל איני מצליח לזכור מתי ואיפה פגשתי אותו.

להיזכר would be more correct in this sentence.
Saying "איני מצליח לזכור " bears the implication that something prevents you from keeping the memory of something.In your particular sentence it creates in me the impression that the speaker is forced time and again to try and recollect this information as it keeps escaping his mind.

tapuz

Postby tapuz » 2012-06-26, 4:15

Thanks for the thorough explanation Golv, that really helped a lot.

I can now see that there is difference between zakhar and nizcar.

However, how to use nizcar is still a little unclear to me.

"whilst להיזכר is the triggered act of recollecting something back to memory,which is completely or partially forgotten. "

I can see how this works well when the is איני מצליח
before the verb, it makes the meaning of the verb easy to understand in connection to the whole meaning of the sentence.

Can you give me easy example sentence where nizcar is the only verb in the sentence is not negated is any way? That would help a lot.
Native: Finnish (fi) Advanced: English (en) Intermediate: Swedish (sv) Hebrew (he) Dormant: German (de) Japanese (ja)

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2012-06-26, 9:58

Well,if we are to proceed with the same example given above:

אני זוכר את פניו would mean "I have the memory of his face"
אני נזכר בפניו would mean that something triggers the memory of his face to float back to mind,it could be the conscious effort of the person to the draw information from past memories,or any external object or thought,as is the nature of memories.[for instance- אני נזכר בפניו כאשר אני מביט בתמונה/I am getting remembered in his face whenever I look at the picture].

a few more examples:

אני צוחק כי נזכרתי פתאום בבדיחה /I laugh because I suddenly got remembered in a joke.

נזכרתי בתשובה ברגע האחרון /I got remembered in the answer at the last moment.

לא זכרתי מי הוא אבל אז נזכרתי/I didn't remember who he was,but then I got remembered.

So,להיזכר is when a memory floats or is drawn back to mind.

tapuz

Postby tapuz » 2012-06-27, 14:30

Golv wrote:Well,if we are to proceed with the same example given above:

אני זוכר את פניו would mean "I have the memory of his face"
אני נזכר בפניו would mean that something triggers the memory of his face to float back to mind,it could be the conscious effort of the person to the draw information from past memories,or any external object or thought,as is the nature of memories.[for instance- אני נזכר בפניו כאשר אני מביט בתמונה/I am getting remembered in his face whenever I look at the picture].

a few more examples:

אני צוחק כי נזכרתי פתאום בבדיחה /I laugh because I suddenly got remembered in a joke.

נזכרתי בתשובה ברגע האחרון /I got remembered in the answer at the last moment.

לא זכרתי מי הוא אבל אז נזכרתי/I didn't remember who he was,but then I got remembered.

So,להיזכר is when a memory floats or is drawn back to mind.

Fantastic, these examples clarified lots of things for me. המון תודות לך, גולב.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2012-06-28, 16:54

בבקשה,ברנש,שמחתי לעזור.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”