Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

AlanF_US
Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-15, 15:41

Thanks for that description. It seems to match what I encounter.

Here's another question: is there a lot of variation out there regarding whether to use a yod to represent a tseire ("ei" vowel) in ktiv maleh, or just to leave it out? I ask this because I feel as though I can never win on this point: when I insert a yod, I'm told I should leave it out, and when I leave it out, I'm told I should put it in. (I'll try to think of examples.) Is this a point on which there's consensus on a set of rules that I don't know, or is it primarily a matter of taste? I have a similar question about the initial yod in a hiphil form, but in that case it seems as though there's something closer to a majority opinion, namely to leave it out.

Finally, it seems to me as though נסגר has some kind of slang meaning that I don't see in the dictionary, something like the "happened" in "What happened here?" Is that right?

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-15, 20:56

Another question: what does כוס אמק mean?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-15, 21:15

AlanF_US wrote:Another question: what does כוס אמק mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlEC0bS2UMw

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-16, 2:42

Ah, it's Arabic. No wonder I didn't understand it and couldn't look it up. Thanks.

So I'll dump another question on top of the stack of unanswered ones: What's the difference between the various words that translate as "sophisticated"?

- מתוחכם
- משוכלל
- מעודכן

I guess that the last one has more of a connotation of "up-to-date"?

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-02-16, 8:42

AlanF_US wrote:Here's another question: is there a lot of variation out there regarding whether to use a yod to represent a tseire ("ei" vowel) in ktiv maleh, or just to leave it out?

Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzere
I have a similar question about the initial yod in a hiphil form, but in that case it seems as though there's something closer to a majority opinion, namely to leave it out.

Definitely leave it out.
Finally, it seems to me as though נסגר has some kind of slang meaning that I don't see in the dictionary, something like the "happened" in "What happened here?" Is that right?

Quite. לסגור could figuratively mean "to agree on" (as in, or inspired from the phrase לסגור עסקה).
?מה נסגר translates to "what's the deal?" or "what has been decided?"
Ah, it's Arabic. No wonder I didn't understand it and couldn't look it up.

Most Hebrew speakers aren't aware of the literal meaning of the majority of swear words they use.

I'd say:
מתוחכם - cleverly planned or able to plan cleverly (used to describe both animate and inanimate objects)
משוכלל - complex and advanced in design; refined (said of machines or techniques only)
מעודכן - up-to-date, modern

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-03-02, 15:46

Thanks for that. An Israeli software engineer also tells me that משוכלל tends to suggest "having lots of features". That seems consistent with what you are saying.

Here's another question: can תריסים refer to both shutters (which close off a window from the outside) and Venetian blinds (which close it off from the inside)?

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-06, 17:27

Yes :) Simple.
(I think I might have encountered the calque תריס ונציאני, but it's not in common use)
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Shmuel

Postby Shmuel » 2015-03-26, 15:33

Shalom, guys.

I'm still a beginner in Hebrew, but a fast learner. I can hear it and speak it well, and even read a little, but writing in Hebrew is not my strength. ;)
I plan to visit Israel someday and being able to carry on a conversation with a Sabra will be a big help.

So far, I've learned by using Rosetta Stone software on my pc, practicing with Israeli friends on Facebook, listening to music in Hebrew, and conversing with Israeli tourists from time to time.

Overall, it's been fun, but I've fallen out of practice and I hope that you guys can help me get back to it. :)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-27, 16:29

I hope so too :D Welcome Shmuel!

From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Lemanensis
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-04-28, 11:58

Question about
צריך

I read somewhere that it can be used on its own as we would use 'il faut' in French - that is as an impersonal construction, without an expressed subject, similar to the colloquial 'you' in English. So it would mean something like "It's necessary to..." or "One must..."
However, when I tried to use it like that in Israel I was corrected (by a fluent but not native speaker).

Is it or isn't it possible to use the word in this way?
Thank you.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-04-28, 21:25

Is there a good Hebrew translation for "irreverent"? I want to refer to someone who makes jokes that are not specifically designed to offend, but might show a lack of seriousness about people or things that are generally taken seriously.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-05-03, 12:31

Lemanensis wrote:Question about
צריך

I read somewhere that it can be used on its own as we would use 'il faut' in French - that is as an impersonal construction, without an expressed subject, similar to the colloquial 'you' in English. So it would mean something like "It's necessary to..." or "One must..."
However, when I tried to use it like that in Israel I was corrected (by a fluent but not native speaker).

Is it or isn't it possible to use the word in this way?
Thank you.

Yes, it is absolutely possible. :P
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-05-05, 23:34

AlanF_US wrote:Is there a good Hebrew translation for "irreverent"? I want to refer to someone who makes jokes that are not specifically designed to offend, but might show a lack of seriousness about people or things that are generally taken seriously.

I don't think we have a word for that. חסר כבוד comes closest, but will generally be understood as "disrespectful".
I wasn't familiar with this nuanced word, thank you.

ARATHORN

Postby ARATHORN » 2015-06-05, 17:20

Hello!
My name is Daniel, I'm from Brazil, and I'm learning Hebrew by myself. I love this language as I love the Israeli people and his history.

This is my first topic, and I think I'm doing it in the right thread! I'm have study Hebrew for 4 / 5 months. I bought a method by The Living Language to guide me, and doing some research on the web!

I wrote some kind of presentation and vocabulary proof, so I ask you to fell free to point out any mistake I committed.

Here we go!

אני ברזילאי. אני מסאו פאולו.

יש לי גדול משפחה, ויש לי גם אישה ובת קטנה.

וגם יש לי אבא ואמא. הוא יוספ והיא סוניא.
אבא שלי בן שבעים שבע. ואמא בת שישים ארבע:

אני בן שלשים המש. אני מחנדס. אני גד בסאו פאולו.

אני יש דירה יפה וחדשה. בדירה שלי יש שתיים חדרי שינה. יש מטבח כמובן. ויש גם שרותים.

הסלון יש שלוש קירות לבנות ואחת קיר חומה.

המטבח והשרותים הם גדולים.
הבת שלי ואשתי גם גרות בדירה.

יש לי משפחה יפה. הבת שלי בת שתיים ואשה שלי בת שלושים שבה.

אני אוהב בת שלי.

יש לי הרבה בגדים, חולצות, עניבה, וחליפה. איזה אני אוהב? אני אוהב החליפות. הן נוחות.

אשתי יש החצאית היפה, ובת שלי יש שמלה נוחה.

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-06-10, 1:15

Arathorn, if you're looking for correction of your Hebrew text, you may find that http://lang-8.com is the best site for you. The site is designed specifically for user-submitted correction of user-written text, and there's an especially hungry bunch of Hebrew speakers there who are just looking for text to correct!

AlanF_US

chicken

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-06-10, 1:16

Could someone please explain to me the uses of the different words for "chicken"?

תרנגול
פרגית
עוף

Thanks!

Lemanensis
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Re: chicken

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-06-11, 22:01

AlanF_US wrote:Could someone please explain to me the uses of the different words for "chicken"?

תרנגול
פרגית
עוף

Thanks!

My understanding of it is that תרנגול is the cock/rooster and that תרנגולת is the hen that provides eggs. עוף will be the chicken meat you buy to eat.

I don't know how often פרגית is used, but the dictionary says it's 'pullet', i.e. a female hen up to one year old. I wouldn't use 'pullet' in English, so I wouldn't attempt to use it in Hebrew either! :D
I'm sure a native speaker or two will be along any minute to correct us! (like buses, they all come along at the same time! :lol: )
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-12, 16:47

פרגית is used nowadays mostly in two slang meanings: one is "chicken thigh" for food, the other is "young woman", parallel to "chick" in English.
And we correct Hebrew (and other) texts here as well :wink:

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-12, 16:57

ARATHORN wrote:
אני ברזילאי. אני מסאו פאולו.

יש לי גדול משפחה גדולה, ויש לי גם אישה ובת קטנה.

וגם יש לי אבא ואמא. הוא יוסף והיא סוניה.
אבא שלי בן שבעים ושבע. ואמא בת שישים וארבע:

אני בן שלשים וחמש. אני מהנדס. אני גר בסאו פאולו.

אני יש לי דירה יפה וחדשה. בדירה שלי יש שתיים שני חדרי שינה. יש מטבח כמובן. ויש גם שרותים.

בסלון יש שלושה קירות לבנותים ואחתקיר אחד חום.

המטבח והשרותים הם גדולים.
הבת שלי ואשתי גם גרות בדירה.

יש לי משפחה יפה. הבת שלי בת שנתיים והאשה שלי (better: אשתי) בת שלושים שבה.

אני אוהב את הבת שלי.

יש לי הרבה בגדים, חולצות, עניבה, וחליפה. איזה אני אוהב? אני אוהב את החליפות. הן נוחות.

לאשתי יש החצאית היפה, ולבת שלי יש שמלה נוחה.

OK, several mistakes, but completely comprehensible 8-) Most of the mistakes are confusing similar letters (Hebrew is notorious in that...), ordering of nouns and adjectives, compound numbers, and the use of יש - it's not exactly like the verb "to have"! Let me know if you need specific explanations for any correction. And welcome to UniLang!

CherryDT

Postby CherryDT » 2015-06-23, 11:04

Hello,

I'm currently trying to learn Hebrew. I used lots of content on the Internet, watched Maya's Learn Hebrew videos on YouTube and I bought the LearnHebrewPod.com course. I have completed the beginners course at LearnHebrewPod and started the first intermediate lesson today.

However, I'm really missing an opportunity to communicate (both by writing and by talking) with Hebrew speakers. I notice that it's taking me very long to understand or say anything yet. I'm not proficient enough to read Hebrew books or watch Hebrew TV.

I'm looking for somebody with whom I could chat over Skype from time to time, both in written form and also by doing some calls... I think it would be helpful. Or do you have any better ideas? Unfortunately, there is no "physical" Hebrew course or anything like that in my area.

What do you think?

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”