Korean dialects

Wakarahen
Korean dialects

Postby Wakarahen » 2014-05-05, 4:17

안녕하세요! Does anyone know some good places for learning about the Korean dialects?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_dialects

Apart from Wikipedia articles and a few research papers, I've found basically nothing online! Is there any good books, or websites I'm missing out on?

It's seems strange that for a language so famous and popular these days, in such a rich country (half of it anyway...), it's like the dialects don't exist :?

Karavinka

Re: Korean dialects

Postby Karavinka » 2014-05-06, 0:12

Nope.

If you reeally want, you can find scholarly books and articles on Korean dialectology (of course in Korean), but if you mean something along the line of "learning the dialects", forget about it.

Wakarahen

Postby Wakarahen » 2014-05-17, 10:32

Oh, is that so. How come there's so little about them? Do most Koreans still speak dialects, or only the older ones? Coming from Japanese I expected a bit more to be written about them, at least the basic feautures :?

Maybe when my Korean is good enough I'll be able to look into dialectology. I wish there was an easier way to learn them, especially Busan-mal :cry:

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2014-05-20, 20:24

Wakarahen wrote:Oh, is that so. How come there's so little about them? Do most Koreans still speak dialects, or only the older ones? Coming from Japanese I expected a bit more to be written about them, at least the basic feautures :?

Maybe when my Korean is good enough I'll be able to look into dialectology. I wish there was an easier way to learn them, especially Busan-mal :cry:

Most Koreans don't speak dialects. One of the biggest social-demographical differences between South Korea and Japan is that South Korea has a much, much higher populatio concentration around the capital: 1/2 of South Korean population live in the Seoul Metropolitan Area, compared to 1/4 of the Japanese population in the Greater Tokyo Area.

Just to be clear, there IS a lot written about the dialects, but mostly academical. You'll hear dialects on the streets of major non-Seoulite cities (including Busan) but expect quick changes to the standard Korean or even English, most people (unless very, very elderly) are bi-dialectal at least.

cjibhstcszjb

Postby cjibhstcszjb » 2015-03-05, 3:47

What about Jeju? I heard recently the ROK government declared it a separate language. Language or dialect, is there any way to learn it?

Return to “Korean (한국어)”