Der ich-Laut!

Moderator:kevin

Vulkos_Regs
Der ich-Laut!

Postby Vulkos_Regs » 2015-12-06, 0:24

Okay!!!!

I have been learning German with for about 3 weeks now, and I have trouble with the 'soft-ch' sound (/ç/). I ask my teacher about this and she tried to teach it me, she failed, and I went home feeling very stupid to be honest. The next lesson I had with her she said I could pronounce it like English 'sh' sound, she said it was pronounce like this in the Kölsch dialect of German, and I would be understood in standard German as well. Is she right?

So 'ich' would be like; 'ish', and 'Mädchen' would be 'mehchen' (tsh sound).

Here is a link to me saying these words:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0EMQaWtgroN

Thanks in advanced, Vukos Regs

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Der ich-Laut!

Postby kevin » 2015-12-06, 12:31

The first "ich" in your recording is perfect. I didn't understand your "Mädchen" at first, but that might actually be because of the vowel. It's supposed to be a long open e: /ˈmɛːtçən/. I heard "mitten" at first, that is, no "ch" at all. But when I listen carefully, it's there in "Mädchen" as well.

So you can do the sound, I'd say just keep practising this rather than replacing it with something else.

And now for what you explicitly asked... Yes, you would be understood if you pronounce [ʃ] instead. You would also be understood with [x] or even [k]. But none of them are considered standard.

Vulkos_Regs

Postby Vulkos_Regs » 2015-12-06, 12:38

Thank you, I really struggle saying the ich-laut after consonants, like in 'Milch'.
Do you have any advise for that?

beispiel

Postby beispiel » 2016-07-10, 18:23

Vulkos_Regs wrote:Thank you, I really struggle saying the ich-laut after consonants, like in 'Milch'.
Do you have any advise for that?

My advice is to not worry about it. I also struggled with "ch" in the beginning, but it didn't take that long before i could easily say it.

Return to “German (Deutsch)”