noun cases in German and Hindi

Moderator:kevin

cjibhstcszjb
noun cases in German and Hindi

Postby cjibhstcszjb » 2015-05-19, 1:27

How similar are the noun cases in German to those in Hindi? I think if the German noun cases where explained to me by the translations in Hindi, they would be easier for me to understand. Noun cases are hard in German, they are really the reason I don't speak it better.

linguoboy

Re: noun cases in German and Hindi

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-20, 17:04

cjibhstcszjb wrote:How similar are the noun cases in German to those in Hindi? I think if the German noun cases where explained to me by the translations in Hindi, they would be easier for me to understand. Noun cases are hard in German, they are really the reason I don't speak it better.

Not very. In modern colloquial German, there is no change in the inflection of nouns due to case except for a small class of so-called "weak nouns" which have -(e)n in all oblique cases and in the plural. Case inflection is shown primarily in the determiners and in adjectival endings. Plus Hindi is split-ergative, so the entire syntax of the synthetic past tense is completely different from that of German, which is a nominative-accusative language throughout (although with no morphological distinction between these two cases except in the masculine singular).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “German (Deutsch)”