Fragegruppe für Fortgeschrittene (Discussion Group)

Moderator:kevin

kevin
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Fragegruppe für Fortgeschrittene (Discussion Group)

Postby kevin » 2015-02-10, 22:18

You can probably easily get that kind of reactions if you try to imitate a dialect, but you don't do it properly. Note that my experience is not that you have to be perfectly native-like in order to have your way of speech accepted. It's more about getting the right elements right. I have some friends who have a nice Hungarian-Swabian accent - it's very noticable that they aren't native, but it's definitely not fake either.

Anyway, the situation is probably completely different when trying to learn a standard variety rather than a dialect. You should be mostly safe in that case if you don't overdo it ("General Austrian" isn't really well defined, for some speakers it's barely noticable that they are Austrian, for others it's rather obvious).

Of course, in order to sound natural with a slight Austrian accent you should probably still try to get those parts of the phonology right that the natives aren't even aware about before imitating the obvious (and therefore stereotypical) things.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-11, 4:09

IpseDixit wrote:Thanks vijay, my question arose from the fact that a foreigner learning a variety of Italian different from the standard one would very probably provoke the reactions I mentioned above, so I was wondering if for German it was the same.
IANANS, but whenever I've had a choice between learning a feature common to northern varieties of Standard German and one common to southern varieties, I've always gone with the southern variant. As long as I avoid obvious dialectalisms (e.g. bissle for bisschen, ade for tschüss, gäll? for nicht wahr?), no one ever remarks on it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-02-11, 9:51

For what it's worth, we actually had an Italian-speaking exchange student from South Tyrol at my school (he wanted to improve his German because he wanted to become a civil servant) and he was speaking German Standard German.

I know that when the football player Giovane Elber first came to Germany, he had a slight Swiss accent (in addition to his Brazilian one) because he played in Switzerland before and people here found it funny, but in a cute way.

It seems that as long as you aren't getting things horribly wrong, people don't mind. Actually, my experience with my Saxonian relatives is that they don't even mind imitations of the accent or the actual dialect, as long as they're not horribly wrong (which they too often are, though). As my father's cousin once said "There are so many people who speak it or can imitate it well, why do they use people who can't?".

Live kevin wrote, "General Austrian" isn't really well defined, I had a Viennese professor where it was only slight, but still obvious.
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-13, 20:23

Car wrote:I know that when the football player Giovane Elber first came to Germany, he had a slight Swiss accent (in addition to his Brazilian one) because he played in Switzerland before and people here found it funny, but in a cute way.

I remember somebody telling me that when I spoke German, I sounded German, and then an American guy who worked with German colleagues saying that when he spoke German to them, they said he sounded Swiss. :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-14, 20:45

vijayjohn wrote:
Car wrote:I know that when the football player Giovane Elber first came to Germany, he had a slight Swiss accent (in addition to his Brazilian one) because he played in Switzerland before and people here found it funny, but in a cute way.

I remember somebody telling me that when I spoke German, I sounded German, and then an American guy who worked with German colleagues saying that when he spoke German to them, they said he sounded Swiss. :lol:
Did he have an Ach-Laut for his Ich-Laut?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2015-02-17, 19:12

Wie könnte man "a miraculous catch" (in einem Footballspiel zum Beispiel) oder "a miraculous goal" auf Deutsch sagen? "Ein wunderbarer Fang" oder "ein wunderbares Tor" scheinen mir nicht, dieselbe Bedeutung zu haben, aber vielleicht täusche ich mich darin. Kann man "ein Wunderfang" sagen, oder klingt das falsch?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-02-17, 20:31

Ich fürchte, für Football wird es im Deutschen kaum gebräuchliche Begriffe geben.

Beim Fußball könnte man zum Beispiel von einem Zaubertor reden.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-02-17, 20:46

Ein Traumtor ginge im Fußball.

Gibt es überhaupt deutsche Football-Begriffe? Eher nicht, oder?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-02-17, 21:38

Ah, ja, Traumtor ist gut. Ich wusste, dass es noch irgendein besseres Wort gibt, aber ich bin einfach nicht draufgekommen.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2015-02-18, 9:49

Danke!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-02-18, 12:17

Beim Football findet man für "toller Catch" durchaus viele Treffer.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2015-02-19, 9:24

Aber "toll" ist (mindestens für mich) nicht dasselbe als "miraculous". "A miraculous catch" ist sicher "ein toller Catch", aber es geht um mehr als Geshicklichkeit, es muss ein Glückselement geben...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-02-19, 9:59

Ja, schon, aber ich wüsste nicht, was man da sonst sagen könnte. :hmm: Für "Traumcatch" gibt es durchaus Treffer, aber längst nicht so viele.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-04-11, 5:16

Am I correct thinking that "Fluss" comes from Latin "fluvius"?
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-04-11, 9:11

Lauren wrote:Am I correct thinking that "Fluss" comes from Latin "fluvius"?

No. It comes from Old High German fluz.

der Fluss - river
fließen - to flow

I asked myself the same question about the Hungarian "folyó", but that also comes from "fólyni", meaning "to flow".

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-04-11, 20:03

Levike wrote:
Lauren wrote:Am I correct thinking that "Fluss" comes from Latin "fluvius"?

No. It comes from Old High German fluz.

der Fluss - river
fließen - to flow

I asked myself the same question about the Hungarian "folyó", but that also comes from "fólyni", meaning "to flow".

Interesting. Just a coincidence, then. :D
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

enricmm

Postby enricmm » 2015-04-11, 20:35

Meine Herren! Mein Deutsch wird immer wieder katastrophaler! Ich muss mindestens einmal pro Tag Deutsch üben!
Native: (ca) Native against my will: (es)
Advanced: (de) (us)
Intermediate: (zh)
Beginner: (ga) (ja)
Desiderata: (ar) (br) (chr) (cy) (egy) (el) (eo) (eu) (fo) (fr) (gl) (got) (grc) (he) (hi) (id) (iu) (is) (it) (km) (ko) (la) (lt) (lv) (nah) (no) (non) (oc) (pt) (ru) (sgn) (sq) (sv) (sw) (tr) (zhc)

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2015-04-11, 21:22

enricmm wrote:Meine Herren! Mein Deutsch wird immer wieder katastrophaler! Ich muss mindestens einmal pro Tag Deutsch üben!

Genau wie mein Spanisch, langsam verabschiede ich mich von meinen Kenntnissen und vergesse sehr vieles. Ich muss dringend mehr üben!
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

enricmm

Postby enricmm » 2015-04-11, 21:31

Linguist wrote:Genau wie mein Spanisch, langsam verabschiede ich mich von meinen Kenntnissen und vergesse sehr vieles. Ich muss dringend mehr üben!

Möchtest du einen Sprachaustausch machen, oder?
Native: (ca) Native against my will: (es)
Advanced: (de) (us)
Intermediate: (zh)
Beginner: (ga) (ja)
Desiderata: (ar) (br) (chr) (cy) (egy) (el) (eo) (eu) (fo) (fr) (gl) (got) (grc) (he) (hi) (id) (iu) (is) (it) (km) (ko) (la) (lt) (lv) (nah) (no) (non) (oc) (pt) (ru) (sgn) (sq) (sv) (sw) (tr) (zhc)

IvoCarog

Postby IvoCarog » 2015-07-29, 18:55

Ich habe eine Frage....was ist richtig "wir sollen es jemand geben" oder "wir sollen es jemandem geben"? Ich habe beides gesehen. Und "jemand" allgemein mit Dativ und Akkusativ ist ein bisschen verwierend für mich :hmm: Was ist die Regel hier?
native: Image
fluent: Image Image
well enough: Image

Return to “German (Deutsch)”