Any tips for using Swedish to understand spoken Danish?

Moderator:Mulder-21

Helenae
Any tips for using Swedish to understand spoken Danish?

Postby Helenae » 2013-08-02, 17:03

So I have been learning Swedish for awhile and I am at the point I can hold a conversation in Swedish. But a good friend of mine is from Denmark and I am wondering if their are any tips for using what I have learned in Swedish to understand Danish. I can read Danish at an okay level (until the words completely vary between the two languages then I gotta look them up), but hearing it spoken goes over my head. Do I need to take a beginners course or would I be fine just practicing hearing it spoken with subtitles at the bottom?

Brikken

Re: Any tips for using Swedish to understand spoken Danish?

Postby Brikken » 2013-08-26, 14:44

I'm afraid it's not that easy. Many Danes do not understand spoken Swedish at all, and vice versa. Understanding the written languages may work, but spoken language is quite different.

This might just be me, but my Scandinavian-language-graph would be something like this:
Swedish <==> Norwegian <==> Danish

Cornerstone

Postby Cornerstone » 2013-10-06, 18:07

Brikken wrote:I'm afraid it's not that easy. Many Danes do not understand spoken Swedish at all, and vice versa.

Really not at all?

Come on, I speak some basic Swedish as a foreign language and Danish not at all. Spending just one week in Denmark I was surprised how well communication worked when speaking slowly and clearly.
Last edited by Cornerstone on 2013-10-07, 5:08, edited 1 time in total.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-10-06, 18:20

I'm sure it's just a matter of immersion. If a Swede were to immerse themself in the Danish language, comprehension would inevitably improve.
One of the problems I notice is that Scandinavians are watching/listening to way more English than other North Germanic languages (in comparison to past generations), so the mutual intelligibility is declining. At least that's my flawless theory.

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2013-10-07, 4:26

Halfdan wrote:I'm sure it's just a matter of immersion. If a Swede were to immerse themself in the Danish language, comprehension would inevitably improve.
One of the problems I notice is that Scandinavians are watching/listening to way more English than other North Germanic languages (in comparison to past generations), so the mutual intelligibility is declining. At least that's my flawless theory.

I think your theory is pretty spot on ;)

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-27, 16:34

If only it would always look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktduJxKVps
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-05-13, 10:59

Första sekunderna jag ba " oohh jag förstår vad hon säger" :D sen aahh, hon försöker tala svenska. Haha
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”