Suggestions for Danish TV-series

Moderator:Mulder-21

TimmyP
Suggestions for Danish TV-series

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-12, 21:34

Hi all!
I'm trying to improve my Danish comprehension and want to get hold of some Danish TV-series that I could watch on a regular basis.

Are there any good ones on TV at the moment, or that have come and gone.

Thanks a lot for any ideas!

Tim.

Brikken

Re: Suggestions for Danish TV-series

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-13, 20:57

You want legal stuff, or is it okay to download stuff (torrents and such)?

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-13, 21:46

*ahem* ...well, whatever comes my way I would be greatful for! :wink:

Arcane

Postby Arcane » 2011-09-14, 13:39

I wouldn't recommend anything illegal, but rather streaming what you're interested in.

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-14, 15:12

Well, in that case, I would recommend watching the big Danish drama productions like "Forbrydelsen" and "Rejseholdet". I believe both those series have either been nominated or rewarded the Emmy for best foreign TV series.

They are also both famous enough for English subtitles being available freely on the internet, just in case you need a helping hand understanding. It shouldn't be a problem, though, since they speak beautiful and clear Danish in both of them. Just google "rejseholdet subtitles" and you should be on your way.

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-14, 17:59

I just found Forbrytelsen, thanks! It's actually been released by the BBC in the UK so it turned out to be quite easy to get hold of.

Any other series apart from these two? I'm doing a translation course for a whole year you see, and my plan was to try and watch something every night, kind of the lazy students way of learning languages.

:wink:

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-14, 18:01

Just thought of something else I could watch. Are there any Danish soap operas that broadcast regularly?

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-14, 20:02

TimmyP wrote:Just thought of something else I could watch. Are there any Danish soap operas that broadcast regularly?

Well, not really, actually. TV3 once had a show called "2100 happiness" - I believe it aired almost daily, but ... wow, that was utter crap. Not sure there is anything at the moment. It's usually just shit like Paradise Hotel and other reality shows.

What about just watching the news? http://www.dr.dk/DR1/TVAVISEN/?t

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-14, 20:33

lol! :D

Well yeah, I could... But I'm already reading Politiken. I was hoping for some lighthearted viewing in the evening.

Denmark haven't ever made any sci-fi shows by any chance? Sci-fi just doesn't seem to be big in Scandinavia for some reason...

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-15, 15:18

TimmyP wrote:Denmark haven't ever made any sci-fi shows by any chance? Sci-fi just doesn't seem to be big in Scandinavia for some reason...

Well, we are not too many people speaking Danish, so I don't think the money is there. So either it's low budget and really crappy, or high budget but very mainstream - just like the ones I suggested initially.

But I mean, if you just want something lighthearted and it doesn't have to be a series, there are other kinds of shows that you can watch for free online on DR's website. Take a look around, some of the shows have VODs and I believe you also just watch TV live.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-09-21, 4:45

Here are a couple series I've enjoyed:
Klovn: it's a comedy about uncomfortable situations, it's funny and rather easy to understand.
Ørnens øje: it's a crime drama, which I enjoy.
Riget: this is probably the best thing I've seen on TV ever; it was directed by Lars von Trier, it's a fantasy sort of thing about a hospital...you just have to watch it, it's pretty trippy.

I also learned a lot of Danish from X Factor, because it's easy to understand and not about anything complex. If you aren't learning from it, though, there's no point in watching :D
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-21, 6:09

ILuvEire wrote:Riget: this is probably the best thing I've seen on TV ever; it was directed by Lars von Trier, it's a fantasy sort of thing about a hospital...you just have to watch it, it's pretty trippy.

This! Possible one of the greatest shows ever. The English name is "The Kingdom".

And a bit of trivia: It's not just about a "hospital" - it's about the most advanced Danish hospital, "Rigshospitalet", hence in short "Riget". I believe the entire series is shot on location. Many cool settings in the basement and such.

Oh yeah, and my girlfriend works there ;) She hasn't seen any ghosts so far, though ..

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-09-21, 9:00

Riget sounds great, just my type of thing :wink:

I'll try and get hold of it now. Thanks for all the tips guys!

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-10-06, 23:24

Just thought that I would say that I saw the first episode of Forbrydelsen and I thought it was great! I can't wait to see the rest of the series!

:good4u:

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-10-07, 18:43

Happy to help!

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2011-10-21, 22:44

Skulle bare sige, at jeg lige nu er færdig med å se Drengene fra Angora, som var meget sjovt.

Bare i tilfælde af, at nogen trænger et forslag til en god komedie. :D

mafke

Postby mafke » 2012-03-02, 12:01

Probably not your kind of thing but a whole bunch of whole episodes of a very old Danish sitcom (Huset i Christianshavn) have been put on youtube (as have the Olsen Gang comedies).

It's all very dated but possibly of interest.
studying now: [flag]ro[/flag] [flag]kn[/flag]

in the wings: [flag]mus[/flag] [flag]hu[/flag] [flag]vi[/flag]
backburner: [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag]
daily usage: [flag]us[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag]

TimmyP

Postby TimmyP » 2012-03-02, 12:10

I'll check them out thanks.

T.

benjamino59

Postby benjamino59 » 2014-01-18, 22:19

My favourite Danish TV-series are probably Bøssestudier and Gennemsnitlig Sex.

You can see both series (and a lot of other series) on DR's homepage both legally and free :)

Bøssestudier (link: http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/boessestudier/bo ... uktion-8-8) is an 8-part series about being gay in Denmark. Each episode covers a different topic, including sex, love and coming out of the closet :) It's really fun and educating to watch - both for gay and straight people :P

Gennemsnitlig sex (link: http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/gennemsnitlig-se ... onani-1-10) is a show, where regular couples just lie in their beds and are interviewed about their sex life. Each episode covers a different topic as well, including masturbation, vaginas and being horny. It's so fun to watch - like there was a guy, who talked about that he had a fantasy about literally sticking carrots and apples up into his wife's vagina :shock: You can learn a lot from it too :P

Most of what DR produces is completely free to watch on their website, since it's owned by the government :)

lingasms

Postby lingasms » 2014-03-22, 20:32

I would add "Borgen" and "Broen" - the two shows I'm watching. Borgen is quite popular in the UK, from what I understand.
Italian (native); English (C2); Dutch (B1-B2); French (B1-B2); Russian (B1); Danish (B1); German (A2-B1)
I've lived in Italy, Russia, Scotland, the Netherlands
[flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]da[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”