Why are you interested in Danish?

Moderator:Mulder-21

gyrus
Re: Why are you interested in Danish?

Postby gyrus » 2010-01-04, 18:11

lichtrausch wrote:
Marcellus wrote:Honestly, now, why wouldn't one be interested in learning Danish?

Because it's not very useful for the vast majority of the world population.

Lichtrausch, you're such a party pooper :P.

Although I don't learn Danish, it's quite high up on the list because the country looks great, I like the sound of the language (despite the chaotic phonology) and I love Germanic languages. But if I had to choose between it and Icelandic, I'd definately pick Icelandic.
[flag]en[/flag][flag]fr[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]eo[/flag][flag]zh[/flag]
Twitter
YouTube

hashi

Postby hashi » 2010-01-04, 23:26

lichtrausch wrote:
Marcellus wrote:Honestly, now, why wouldn't one be interested in learning Danish?

Because it's not very useful for the vast majority of the world population.

Who learns a language for its usefulness these days?
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2010-01-04, 23:32

hashi wrote:Who learns a language for its usefulness these days?

Most people.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2010-01-04, 23:58

lichtrausch wrote:

Most people.

You mean you and a select few ;)

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2010-01-10, 19:29

lichtrausch, I wasn't a fan of the hates-lichtrausch club, but please don't stick your nose into language-specific forums where you don't belong...
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2010-01-10, 19:36

hashi wrote:
lichtrausch wrote:

Most people.

You mean you and a select few ;)

If you say so mate.

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2010-01-10, 19:43

Jayan wrote:please don't stick your nose into language-specific forums where you don't belong...

If you'd be so kind could you outline for me which sections of the forum I "belong" in? I don't want to trespass in forum sections which I'm not permitted to enter by decree of the internet laws of the internet police.

miracr7

Postby miracr7 » 2011-04-08, 6:27

Hi, everybody !

I'm Amira. I'm from Indonesia. I've been learn danish since about 2 years. I learn danish with myself . searching from the internet. I'm interested in danish because my favourite band from Denmark, Michael Learns To Rock (anybody knows the band ?, hehe..). since become fan of that band, I started to learning danish. and other reason why I'm interested in danish because danish is unique languange :)
Jeg elsker dansk og Michael Learns To Rock :)

kotrcka

Postby kotrcka » 2011-04-08, 11:20

Why?

Well, to say the truth, danish in not one of those langueges, which are usable from the first moment (like french or german, ...).

So if you do not have a danish friend or you are not going there, it looks like a waste of time.

But it is not. For example, with danish language you can visit a country, where the happiest people lives. Or you can read Mr. Andersens fairytales in original. Or you can be in one of the flattest countries in world and ask for a highest point in peoples native language.

You see, danish language is usable, but in its own way :-)

I like danish (of course, I like many languages, but anyway, danish is unique).

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-04-11, 12:08

I love all Germanic languages, and Danish seems to be a little like Dutch, too.
I'm really willing to learn it, I didn't actually start yet, I did start with Swedish and Norwegian, and I think Norwegian and Danish are written almost the same. I'll have to work on my pronunciation, but seriously, can someone listen to Danish without feeling happy, haha?
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-04-18, 5:09

Reinder wrote:I love all Germanic languages, and Danish seems to be a little like Dutch, too.
I'm really willing to learn it, I didn't actually start yet, I did start with Swedish and Norwegian, and I think Norwegian and Danish are written almost the same. I'll have to work on my pronunciation, but seriously, can someone listen to Danish without feeling happy, haha?

Danish in song is much better than spoken normally in my opinion. Swedish on the other hand...
Danska är mycket bättre i låtar än talad vanligen i mina ögon. Svenska å andra sidan...

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2011-04-23, 7:28

I am interested in Danish since I am curious of what Danish really is. Danes that speak to us Swedes utter something incomprehensible, and claim they speak Swedish or Scandinavian, and that we would not understand them if they spoke Danish, yet written Danish is almost exactly like written Swedish, and if the distance between written and spoken language is not that distant, it should, with some effort, be possible to reach the true spoken Danish.

Is it possible to hear true Danish spoken, apart from actually meeting Danes? The television series probably use something closer to the written language (I guess), but the radio might, at least partly, be sending real speech. (But P1 seems to use read language. I will try out all the Danish internet radio channels to find out.)
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-04-24, 22:43

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:Is it possible to hear true Danish spoken, apart from actually meeting Danes? The television series probably use something closer to the written language (I guess), but the radio might, at least partly, be sending real speech. (But P1 seems to use read language. I will try out all the Danish internet radio channels to find out.)

Yeah, of course. The language spoken in radio, tv (both series and news) is Danish as spoken in real life. The good thing about news is, that they often speak very clearly and use proper language without too much slang and dialect.

But I completely agree with you. Two languages that seem very close in writing are quite different when spoken. The real hurdle in learning Danish is, that the pronunciation is sometimes very far away from the spelling. Just a warning ;)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-04-25, 11:20

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:I am interested in Danish since I am curious of what Danish really is. Danes that speak to us Swedes utter something incomprehensible, and claim they speak Swedish or Scandinavian, and that we would not understand them if they spoke Danish, yet written Danish is almost exactly like written Swedish, and if the distance between written and spoken language is not that distant, it should, with some effort, be possible to reach the true spoken Danish.

Is it possible to hear true Danish spoken, apart from actually meeting Danes? The television series probably use something closer to the written language (I guess), but the radio might, at least partly, be sending real speech. (But P1 seems to use read language. I will try out all the Danish internet radio channels to find out.)

Kanske du kan använda det här länk:
http://danmark.fm/
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Alf2

Postby Alf2 » 2011-04-28, 2:17

I met a friend from Denmark who is fluent in Dansk og Englesk. I started to read more about Danish & the country and fell in love with it! I hope to learn intermediate Danish and visit Denmark a lot :-)
Assalamu Alaykum, jeg hedder Amanda y me encantan los idiomas extranjeras.

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-08-27, 12:14

I'd love to learn Danish, because it's so complicated compared to Swedish and Norwegian, and its pronunciation is so unique. This is what's intriguing for me.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-13, 22:03

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:They must be the same language, although they adhere to different standards, as it still is possible for Swedish, Danish and Norwegian persons each speaking their own tongue yet making themselves reasonably understood in a conversation.

I guess, if all of the scattered Arabic dialects are one language, why not?

mattsfk

Postby mattsfk » 2013-04-09, 13:30

After learning Romance languages for so many years I thought it was time to try my hand at the Germanic languages. At first I began learning German but started getting hooked on Danish thanks to some really catchy pop music (Medina, anyone?) and shows like Borgen, Forbrydelsen and Broen.

I find all the cognates between English and Danish constantly fascinating; I keep getting "aha!" moments about words with shared roots and the vocabulary that Danish has absorbed from the various varieties of German.

Danish definitely puts English into more of a historical context for me. I have a poorly researched theory that Danish is the 'closest' of all Scandinavian languages to English—this probably fuels my love for it a lot more.

benjamino59

Postby benjamino59 » 2013-04-13, 21:26

johnklepac wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:They must be the same language, although they adhere to different standards, as it still is possible for Swedish, Danish and Norwegian persons each speaking their own tongue yet making themselves reasonably understood in a conversation.

I guess, if all of the scattered Arabic dialects are one language, why not?

But is it still a just dialects, considering that fx girl is called 'pige' in Danish and 'flicka' in Swedish? I only knew that because I studied Swedish a long time ago on my own.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-04-14, 0:51

benjamino59 wrote:But is it still a just dialects, considering that fx girl is called 'pige' in Danish and 'flicka' in Swedish? I only knew that because I studied Swedish a long time ago on my own.

There are other words too.

flicka = girl (age 0-12 or so)
tjej = girl (any age)
piga = a young girl employed at a farm
tös = girl (any age, regional)
jänta = girl (any age, regional)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”