Peninsular Spanish vs American Spanish

Moderator:Iván

הענט
Peninsular Spanish vs American Spanish

Postby הענט » 2013-02-19, 20:54

Pronunciation

Seseo Pronouncing z's, s's and c's (before e and i) as /s/ - Latin America
Distinción Pronouncing z's and c's (before e and i) as /θ/, but s's as /s/ - Spain
Ceceo Pronouncing z's, s's and c's (before e and i) as /θ/ - Spain, Andalusia

Yeísmo Pronouncing y's abd ll's as /ʝ/ - both LA and Spain
Žeísmo Pronouncing y's abd ll's as /ʒ/ - Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay
Šeísmo Pronouncing y's abd ll's as /ʃ/ - Argentina (Buenos Aires)

Some Latin American dialects differ from the Castillian Spanish even in the position of an accent

LA - Spain
beisbol - béisbol
chasís - chasis
chofer - chófer
coctel - cóctel
video - vídeo

Lazar Taxon

Re: Peninsular Spanish vs American Spanish

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2013-02-19, 22:08

In phonetic terms, American Spanish realizes /s/ as laminal while Iberian Spanish realizes it as apical; also, Iberian Spanish /x/ tends to be uvular while American Spanish /x/ tends to be either velar or further softened to [h]. Also, some parts of the New World realize syllable-final /s/ as [h], word-final [n] as [ŋ], and /r/ as [ʁ]. And also, /ʎ/ remains distinct in some parts of Spain and Latin America (like the Andean highlands).
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-02-19, 22:25

Lazar Taxon wrote:Also, some parts of the New World realize syllable-final /s/ as [h], word-final [n] as [ŋ], and /r/ as [ʁ]. And also, /ʎ/ remains distinct in some parts of Spain and Latin America (like the Andean highlands).

I don't know if any Andalusian Spanish varieties show [ʁ], but aspiration of /s/ and velarisation of /n/ are widespread. Another feature common to (some varieties of) both is deletion or lateralisation of coda /r/.

It's rather hard to generalise about Latin American Spanish vs Peninsular Spanish due to the degree of variation. Personally I think, say, the phonology of Barranquilla Spanish and the Spanish of Seville have more in common with each other than either does with the educated speech of Bogatá on the one hand and Burgos on the other.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2013-03-03, 7:22

the is no American Spanish, we have very different dialects in America, some more different even than peninsular Spanish.
(I understand way easier some one from Spain than some one from Mexico of the US for example ).
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2013-03-05, 11:28

Aspiration of /s/ in syllable codas may be nearly universal in Andalusia, but I'd say it's very common in most of the peninsula (not in the north, though, from Galicia to Catalonia). Here in Madrid an aspirated /s/ often becomes [x].
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

Return to “Spanish (Español)”