Translation of my grandfather's WW2 diary.

Moderator:Sol Invictus

kretek
Translation of my grandfather's WW2 diary.

Postby kretek » 2016-01-20, 20:51

Hello to all,

My grandfather left to me before his passing in 2005 his diary kept during WW2. It has never been translated and his friends from the era have all passed on as well. I understand these images may be hard to make out but anything at all would be amazing. It has been very difficult for me to try and use an online translator because of the cursive. ANYTHING AT ALL would be ground breaking!

Here is a link to some images

http://imgur.com/a/OIWoA

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation of my grandfather's WW2 diary.

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-01-20, 22:08

Are the pages in correct order? His handwriting is hard to understand and picture quality could be better, but what I do understand doesn't really make sense. Also since there is a lot of text is there anything in particular you want to find out?

kretek

Postby kretek » 2016-01-20, 22:28

I'm sorry they are not. I tried to post pictures of the clearest ones. Even if they are in non-sensical order I am interested in what the words translate to in English, minus the quoted poetry. That part I was able to figure out. If you're interested in helping me I could take some sequential photographs of other pages in correct order. Thank you so much.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-01-20, 23:11

I think horizontally oriented pages are all portry as I see names of well known poets. First vertical one is about hanging out with German women and next one is about missing his family. The rest I can't tell, because there's too little to figure out context, might be some everyday events and maybe some patriotic thoughts. If you can't make legible pictures, perhaps you could check out, if there is any Latvian expat organization in your area and see if there is anyone there you can just show the original text.

EDIT: I see you're asking this on Reddit as well, I'd say it's a better idea, since there are more people there, if you would upload everything there in sequence I'm sure others and I as well could help you better

kretek

Postby kretek » 2016-01-21, 1:04

Thank you very much. This is a sequential high resolution scan I took. I did post it to Reddit but I know the time now is getting a little later and my excitement is getting to me. If you have the time, I would be curious to know what can be read from this scan, it is large format and can be zoomed in.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAKa6G5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sTd6MPz.jpg

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-01-21, 1:24

I'l see if I can answer you there, but it's allready getting very late here

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”