Latvian discussion group

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2007-11-14, 16:57

The song is from Latvian song festival
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=roZP8PNHsao

Exactly the song I meant :D
Lyrics: http://www.dziesmas.lv/index.asp?page=lyrics&id=2590 It is interesting though that there are alternative lyrics (apparently original ?): http://www.musicbox.lv/music_page.php?song_id=1137

amoeba

Postby amoeba » 2008-05-09, 1:17

Sveiki visiem,

Vai kāds var man ieteikt labu "website" ar stāstiem vai spelēm latviešu valodā? Es vēlos pilnveidot savu latviešu valodu, un gribētu lasīt par ikdienām situācijām, lai mācītos vairāk.

Liels paldies, čau!

amoeba

Postby amoeba » 2008-05-09, 2:48

Starp citu, vai kāds var man palīdzēt mācīšanās? Runāt ar mani MSN?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-05-09, 15:43

Vai kāds var man ieteikt labu "website" ar stāstiem vai sp[s]e[/s]ēlēm latviešu valodā? Es vēlos pilnveidot savu latviešu valodu, un gribētu lasīt par ikdien[s]ām[/s]as situācijām, lai mācītos vairāk.

Starp citu, vai kāds var man palīdzēt mācī[s]šanās[/s]bās? Runāt ar mani MSN?

Website usualy is called lapa (or officialy vietne). Also you might want to use "varētu" (could) instead of "var" (can) and say "lai iemācītos vairāk" not "lai mācītos vairāk" (it is not wrong to write as you did, this is just matter of style).

Here is a large collection of Latvian literature. There are not many games in Latvian (besides most are crap). There is this contest http://www.indago.lv/, for Latvian game developers, their page usualy let's you download the participating games (not all are in Latvian though), but it curently is under construction. http://netgames.apollo.lv has a terible little flash game under "Latviešu spēles" and a bit more interesting game under "Uzcel gaismas pili", however it run very slowly for me. Perhaps you'll find something in this forum.

amoeba

Postby amoeba » 2008-05-31, 0:00

Sol Invictus, paldies par tavu palīdzību.

Man arī bija iespēja iet uz bibliotēku, lai apmeklētu grāmatas latviešu valodā. Dabūju grāmatu ar latviešu bērnu stāstiem :D

Man sevišķi patīk www.mix.lv blogu lapas... interesanti uzzināt, ko notiek Latvijā.

Kāpēc šai forumā nav nekā vairs?

0stsee

Kaads ir tava gulta?

Postby 0stsee » 2008-08-11, 15:48

Zorba wrote:Kāds ir tava gulta?

Kaapeec nesaki "Kaada ir tava gulta?" instead.
Is there no feminine form for kaads?
Ini tandatanganku.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Latvian discussion group

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-08-11, 17:46

He made a mistake

mak

Postby mak » 2008-08-13, 8:30

0stsee, if you can't type in Latvian you will find this link useful:
http://laacz.lv/tmp/conv.php

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2008-08-13, 20:28

Paldies Mak!
Es jau kraaju bookmarkaa linku tu devi. :)
I've already bookmarked the link.
Ini tandatanganku.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-05, 12:02

By the way, are Latvians and Estonians aware of how many similarities there are in their languages? In vocabulary and grammar there are many points where Estonian isn't similar to Finno-Ugrian languages, but to Latvian, and I see many things in which Latvian isn't similar to Indo-European languages, but to Estonian.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-05, 21:04

Levo wrote:By the way, are Latvians and Estonians aware of how many similarities there are in their languages? In vocabulary and grammar there are many points where Estonian isn't similar to Finno-Ugrian languages, but to Latvian, and I see many things in which Latvian isn't similar to Indo-European languages, but to Estonian.

Reigani knows :silly: we had a disscusion about that somewhere here, I think (though it was more about finnic influence on Latvian as far as I remmember)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-06, 10:03

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:By the way, are Latvians and Estonians aware of how many similarities there are in their languages? In vocabulary and grammar there are many points where Estonian isn't similar to Finno-Ugrian languages, but to Latvian, and I see many things in which Latvian isn't similar to Indo-European languages, but to Estonian.

Reigani knows :silly: we had a disscusion about that somewhere here, I think (though it was more about finnic influence on Latvian as far as I remmember)

:)
I know it must be only a saying, but what does "Reigani" literally mean?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-06, 10:38

It is not a saying, it is the dark side of Brainstorm (google it and you'll see). Literally it is Reagan (you know - former president of USA) in plural

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-06, 14:02

Sol Invictus wrote:It is not a saying, it is the dark side of Brainstorm (google it and you'll see). Literally it is Reagan (you know - former president of USA) in plural

I googled it, watched some videos about it, but I am really only at a beginner's level at Latvian so I don't understand anything.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-06, 14:23

Levo wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:It is not a saying, it is the dark side of Brainstorm (google it and you'll see). Literally it is Reagan (you know - former president of USA) in plural

I googled it, watched some videos about it, but I am really only at a beginner's level at Latvian so I don't understand anything.

Eh, well, check them out in last fm, pay attention to names of the songs, there is nothing important to understand - they're a parody

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-10, 0:31

I can't believe it!
The first time I check an online Latvian TV news broadcast, and at the 5th minute they are talking about some Guinneiss record in Hungary made with Pálinka :D http://www.tvnet.lv/onlinetv/player.php ... 87&vfrag=0

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-30, 13:06

Sveiki!
I'd like to ask you one thing, I need it in different languages actually, where there is no good English data available or only old ones...
How do you say "average monthly salary" or "average monthly wages" in Latvian? I need to know it for a comparative table, 2008 if possible, the fresher the better.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-11-30, 23:45

you need data or translation ? :? It's vidējā (darba) alga and it's 486 lats

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-01, 19:55

Sol Invictus wrote:you need data or translation ? :? It's vidējā (darba) alga and it's 486 lats

Paldies, it's a bit less than here, and last time I saw a table where it was written that it is already 1% higher than in Hungary and though I knew Latvia was in a boom (back then) but it still seemed a bit unbelievable.

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2008-12-02, 2:50

Remember that official statistics don't always tell the full story... when I was in Latvia, my employer declared to the government that I was getting paid 150 lats less per month than I actually was, as part of some tax fiddle....

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”