Latviešu filmas

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Levo
Latviešu filmas

Postby Levo » 2013-12-15, 23:02

Today my mother told me:
"There's a film on the other channel, and I cannot figure out the language. I tried to but I really cannot. Something Northern."

It was Latvian! :D For my greatest joy. And the plot was in the year 1940, Latvia. I can't tell how excited I became. It was a real gap-filler for me, as I have read so much about the history of my favourite two Baltic countries but never seen a movie about it! Baiga vasara.
Made in 2000. It's really rare that they give it with subtitles and not dubbed, we were lucky.

I'm not starting to tell how I liked the milieu of the time and place that it introduced (not the military happenings of course). My mother also told me "but these seem to be quite intelligent people" - she meant Latvians. "More than Hungarians". Yes they are :)

The happenings that it introduced of course deeply breaks up old scars of common historical memory as we had similar fate :P So we could really feel with Latvians.

I asked my mother what she thought about the language. She said Latvian is a very interesting language. For first, she thought it was Romanian, then realized it is not, when one doesn't really listens carefully, it could be like Russian, but as she studied Russian - as everyone - in her childhood, she said she realized at once it cannot be Russian for sure. The words are totally different - so she said. :)

And I understood quite a lot of it :) They spoke so clearly, despite of the famous not-pronouncing-the-last-sylabelle-properly thing.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Latviešu filmas

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-12-16, 20:34

Levo wrote:They spoke so clearly, despite of the famous not-pronouncing-the-last-sylabelle-properly thing.

What is this "famous" thing? Latvian actor speak unnaturally, though

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-12-23, 0:23

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:They spoke so clearly, despite of the famous not-pronouncing-the-last-sylabelle-properly thing.

What is this "famous" thing? Latvian actor speak unnaturally, though

I hear the same way in Latvian TV news as well :para:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-12-24, 1:49

In TV news it is justified, but in film or play where everyday occurances are depicted it always sounds like they're just reading their lines no matter how much emotion and acting they try to put into it

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”