Need a quick translation.

Moderator:Sol Invictus

SmugAardvark
Need a quick translation.

Postby SmugAardvark » 2013-05-02, 9:18

Hi there! I'm an American, of Latvian/Swedish descent. Unfortunately, my grandparents passed before they could teach me their native Latvian. I had picked up a few words and phrases, but nothing that would be passable in conversation.

With that said, I'm working on a large mural in my home that ties into my interests as well as my family history. I've got the Swedish side of my family pretty well covered, but I'm working on other parts, and I'd like to put a phrase in Latvian up on the wall. The phrase I would like to use is "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted" and the best translation I can come up with is "Nekas nav taisnība. Viss ir atļauts."... Is this a correct translation, or is the conjugation a bit off? I don't want to put paint to wall without getting it right.

Thank you in advance! :D

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Need a quick translation.

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-05-02, 9:48

Yes, technically. "Taisnība" means "the truth", not "true". IMO it would be closer to intended meaning if you used "patiess" instead of "taisnība". If I understand the phrase correctly, you want to say that nothing carries real, deep meaning, not that everything is a lie

SmugAardvark

Re: Need a quick translation.

Postby SmugAardvark » 2013-05-02, 18:06

Sol Invictus wrote:Yes, technically. "Taisnība" means "the truth", not "true". IMO it would be closer to intended meaning if you used "patiess" instead of "taisnība". If I understand the phrase correctly, you want to say that nothing carries real, deep meaning, not that everything is a lie

Exactly. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate the help! :D

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”