Verbs - some help

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Garethw87
Verbs - some help

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-02-06, 20:47

Ok, I did ask a Latvian friend about this but he didn't seem to either know or understand what I meant. Hopefully somebody here can..

So you have the conjugations for example

Es lasīju grāmatu.

Es lasu grāmatu.

Es lasīšu grāmatu.

But then if I was to say Es lasīšu grāmatu. "Then I'm going to watch TV" - Do you conjugate the rest of the sentence or just the first part? I've just looked all through the forum here, clicked any links that seemed useful but most of the links are dead.
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

mak

Re: Verbs - some help

Postby mak » 2013-02-07, 8:08

I like your avatar :)

To answer your question, we conjugate every word in a sentence.

That's because Latvian has a free word order. In contrast, you have a fixed word order in English. If you didn't know, free word order means that you can change the order of words in a sentence without changing the meaning.

Es lasīšu grāmatu. I'm going to read a book.
Pēc tam es skatīšos televizoru (TV). Then I'm going to watch TV.

In the sentence above, es, skatīšos, televizoru are all conjugated.

Does it make sense?

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-02-07, 16:43

mak wrote:I like your avatar :)

To answer your question, we conjugate every word in a sentence.

That's because Latvian has a free word order. In contrast, you have a fixed word order in English. If you didn't know, free word order means that you can change the order of words in a sentence without changing the meaning.

Es lasīšu grāmatu. I'm going to read a book.

In the sentence above, es, skatīšos, televizoru are all conjugated.

Does it make sense?

Hey!

Your avatar is quite nice too :D Hope you are watching the GB V Latvia game later!

Yes, thanks for your reply. It makes sense now. I thought it might be the case but after asking my Latvian friend and he didn't know just wanted to make sure 100%
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-02-08, 17:00

mak wrote:Es lasīšu grāmatu. I'm going to read a book.

I'm pretty sure "pēc tam" is no-no phrase, because it is borrowed from Russian (all other phrases with "tam", where using dative makes no sense, are), you should use something with perfect and "tad" instead - Kad es būšu beidzis lasīt/izlasījis grāmatu, tad es skatīšos televizoru or in present - Es lasu grāmatu, vēlāk es skatīšos televizoru or in past - Kad es biju beidzis lasīt/izlasījis grāmatu,es skatījos televizoru

Oh and just to ruin your day completely - Dinamo are such losers, how can you bare to watch? :silly:

mak

Postby mak » 2013-02-08, 18:02

Kur tu izlasīji par "pēc tam" izcelsmi?

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-02-09, 6:49

Sol Invictus wrote:
mak wrote:Es lasīšu grāmatu. I'm going to read a book.

I'm pretty sure "pēc tam" is no-no phrase, because it is borrowed from Russian (all other phrases with "tam", where using dative makes no sense, are), you should use something with perfect and "tad" instead - Kad es būšu beidzis lasīt/izlasījis grāmatu, tad es skatīšos televizoru or in present - Es lasu grāmatu, vēlāk es skatīšos televizoru or in past - Kad es biju beidzis lasīt/izlasījis grāmatu,es skatījos televizoru

Oh and just to ruin your day completely - Dinamo are such losers, how can you bare to watch? :silly:

Concerning the last comment.. are you one of those rare Skonto Riga fans then ? :hmm:

When you're used to a flatpack Ice rink and team that gets no fans and overcharges for tickets here in Manchester.. then I came to Riga and seen Dinamo! Plus with the cost of flights and only 12lat or so for a ticket Dinamo is a good option for me :D
TIKAI RIGA

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-02-10, 22:20

mak wrote:Kur tu izlasīji par "pēc tam" izcelsmi?

Neatceros, kādā no daudzajiem grammar nazi midzeņiem (un bija runa arī par citām kombinācijām ar "tam") un arī skolā skolotāja vienu no šiem, laikam pie tam, atzīmēja kā stila kļūdu (bet viņa nemācēja paskaidrot iemeslu, to es atradu kaut kur citur). Bet, kā jau teicu, to var noteikt skatoties vai ir jēdzīgi lietot datīvu - šeit frāze, uz kuru tam attiecas, nekādi neizsaka piederību vai mērķi. Teorētiski pareizi laikam būtu lietot ģenitīvu, bet tā neviens nerunā t.i. ja tu jautā, kad notiks televizora skatīšanās, atbilde ir pēc grāmatas lasīšanas - grāmata ir ģenitīvs (ja "tam" būtu pareizi, būtu jabūt datīvam grāmatai), tātad: Pēc kā tu skatīsies televizoru? Es lasīšu grāmatu, pēc tā es skatīšo televizoru

Garethw87 wrote:Concerning the last comment.. are you one of those rare Skonto Riga fans then ? :hmm:

How did we get from ice hockey to football? :whistle:

mak

Postby mak » 2013-02-11, 6:38

Lai arī tev varbūt ir taisnība, "pēc tam" ir pamatīgi nostiprinājies valodā (skatoties pēc Google rezultātiem un uz to, ka tas pat ir iekļauts vārdnīcā) un no tā lietošanas atbrīvoties es personīgi pašlaik netaisos :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-02-11, 8:17

Vai tad tev kāds to liek darīt? Es vienkārši gribēju paskaidrot cilvēkam, ka ir tehniski pareizāka versija :ohwell:

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”