Let's practice Latvian!

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Levo
Let's practice Latvian!

Postby Levo » 2009-04-12, 10:12

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:Sveiki!

I'm supporting the idea of Latvian world-domination, so, what if we started talking here, but all the Latvians ( so many around...) would reply bilingually. :)
Since I cannot write in Latvian yet :(
Paldies!

Or we could just start another thread for speaking only in Latvian (but those who can't speak it would writte in English and ask for translation for it)

Labi. :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Let's practice Latvian!

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-12, 10:22

Par ko mēs runāsim ? :)

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2009-04-12, 11:33

Visu, izņemot "Priecīgas Lieldienas" :roll:

Mani sauc Radek, es esmu no Polijas, bet es dzīvoju Īrijā. Es nezinu latviešu valodā, bet izklausās interesanti. :P
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-12, 18:29

Jā! Priecígas Lieldienas!

Kadi latvieshi ir? :P

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-12, 20:33

Paldies dievam - vēl kāds kas negrib svinēt lieldienas :P Latvieši ir cilvēki un cilvēki ir dažādi - atbrauc uz Latviju un apskaties :wink:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-13, 10:42

Sol Invictus wrote:Paldies dievam - vēl kāds kas negrib svinēt lieldienas :P Latvieši ir cilvēki un cilvēki ir dažādi - atbrauc uz Latviju un apskaties :wink:

:D Jā, bet...

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2009-04-13, 18:12

Mūsdienās tas ir galvenokārt par šokolādes olas un trušiem. :ohwell:
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-13, 19:25

Mums nav nekādu šokolādes olu un zaķu (vismaz ne ģimenēs, kurās nav mazu bērnu), mums ir īstas olas (laikam tāpēc, ka ir populārs ticējums, ka Lieldienās olas jāēd ar sāli un šokolādes olas tam neder :blah: ).

Levo, tu taču interesējies par Latviju un gan jau tev ir radies zināms iespaids, kāpēc gan to maitāt stāstot, ko latvieši paši par sevi domā ? :wink:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-13, 21:06

Sol Invictus wrote:Mums nav nekādu šokolādes olu un zaķu (vismaz ne ģimenēs, kurās nav mazu bērnu), mums ir īstas olas (laikam tāpēc, ka ir populārs ticējums, ka Lieldienās olas jāēd ar sāli un šokolādes olas tam neder :blah: ).

Levo, tu taču interesējies par Latviju un gan jau tev ir radies zināms iespaids, kāpēc gan to maitāt stāstot, ko latvieši paši par sevi domā ? :wink:

Ah, man patīk skatīties latviešu vārdas, bet nezināju kas tās šeit ir.

By some miraculous reason, I can almost 100% understand the first part, but not exactly the one for me. But that's what this topic is for :) Could you translate it?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-13, 22:52

Why does this always happen with sentences that don't translate well ? :? I said that since you're interested in Latvia you should already have some idea what Latvians are like, now why would anyone want to ruin it by telling you what Latvians think they are like ?

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-14, 14:45

Sol Invictus wrote:Why does this always happen with sentences that don't translate well ? :? I said that since you're interested in Latvia you should already have some idea what Latvians are like, now why would anyone want to ruin it by telling you what Latvians think they are like ?

I heard that Latvians are cold people like Estonians. At the same time, I heard also that Latvians are like the Lithuanians. I heard also that Latgalians have a "happier" mentality than other Latvians.
That's all I heard. So I don't know what they are like. And before I would move to a country where unemployment rate is currently 13% and is on the rise and GDP growth will be in minus with the same number, I would like to know what behaviour can I expect from the locals. :)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-14, 14:49

Lol, iznjemot means "except"? I thought it was about wishing a Happy Easter, which I completely forgot, and I thought if others do, then I also wish it :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-14, 19:10

Hmm, svaigi sākusies ekonomiskā krīze taču neietekmē mentalitāti, nesaprotu kāpēc tu domā, ka tas kaut ko maina.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-16, 12:44

Sol Invictus wrote:Hmm, svaigi sākusies ekonomiskā krīze taču neietekmē mentalitāti, nesaprotu kāpēc tu domā, ka tas kaut ko maina.

Nedomu ka tas kaut ko maina. :)
I don't think it changes anything.
All is that I just wanted to hear some words about Latvians, since there are other places too I can go, and since everyone around me thinks that Latvia is sinking into chaos, it would be good to know if otherwise people are very hospitable, or not really, or easiy to get on well with them or rather reserved people or anything one can add.
Just because there are many other reasons too I am interested in Latvia so I don't want to cancel it so easily, but it is true I have a big interest in other countries too where I applied so, one must add all plus and minus to a decision like that :)

By the way, a Hungarian girl, who spent a year in Latvia, told me it is like Hungary 10-15 years ago and that poverty can be strongly seen everywhere, except town-centres which are well maintained. Though it just makes me Latvia sympathical :) And I can't imagine it is that bad, since even Romania is now like Hungary 10 years ago, and Latvia seems to be better.
Though these things don't interest me much, I just wanted to know if Latvians are kind to foreigners or don't open themselves so easily like Nordic people.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-16, 22:29

Yeah, right, and I think the part of Eastern Europe to south from Baltic States is one big Shithole :P Latvians are "nordic", but that dosen't mean we are unkind to foreigners. The current political situation shouldn't affect you in any way (it hardly even affects me) - you are not the government, I don't know where people around you get information, but mind that international news don't really care about this country and only very serious events, which usualy mean something bad, get reported and it dosen't always give you full picture (they don't seem to notice connection with previous events; lately they blame everything on economy).

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-18, 16:56

Sol Invictus wrote:Yeah, right, and I think the part of Eastern Europe to south from Baltic States is one big Shithole :P

I hope you don't feel insulted by anything I wrote above.

The girl added by the way that Latvians and Russians always smiled at her and people always asked her in the street how she was...

Lol, I'm not interested in Latvia's economy or government, I was just telling you how people around me are afraid of this country since they don't want me to get hurt by anything, like some radical events which is typical in countries with falling economy and raising unemployment rates. So, this is THEIR opinion, not mine, I was a protester myself two years ago so I know it very well such things aren't so dangerous as the media might want it to introduce on TV :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-19, 11:09

Levo wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:Yeah, right, and I think the part of Eastern Europe to south from Baltic States is one big Shithole :P

I hope you don't feel insulted by anything I wrote above.

The girl added by the way that Latvians and Russians always smiled at her and people always asked her in the street how she was...

Lol, I'm not interested in Latvia's economy or government, I was just telling you how people around me are afraid of this country since they don't want me to get hurt by anything, like some radical events which is typical in countries with falling economy and raising unemployment rates. So, this is THEIR opinion, not mine, I was a protester myself two years ago so I know it very well such things aren't so dangerous as the media might want it to introduce on TV :)

So why do you worry, if it is their opinion ? Latvians usualy don't do anything radical - like, it took 20 years untill someone started rioting and even then only about hundred people participated, it lasted only few hours and many people were genuinely shocked that something like that could happen (even thought a call to participiate in this riot was published a week before it).

Tad ko tu uztraucies, ja tas ir citu uzskats ? Latvieši parasti nedara neko radikālu - piemēram, vajadzēja 20 gadus, lai kāds sāktu nemierus un pat tad piedlījās tikai ap simts cilvēku, tas ilga tikai pāris stundas un daudzi cilvēki bija patiesi šokēti, ka kas tāds var notikt (neskatoties uz to, ka aicinājums piedalīties šajos nemieros tika publicēts internetā nedēļu pirms tā).

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”