Gulf (Khaleeji)/Yemeni Dialects

Moderator:eskandar

n8an
Gulf (Khaleeji)/Yemeni Dialects

Postby n8an » 2017-07-17, 15:19

Couldn't see a thread for this :-)

Found this cool video of a girl trying to speak a few words in some of the main Khaleeji and Yemeni dialects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtngMaTKFM

To me, her Emirati is right except that Emiratis say "tabee" rather than "tibgha". The Iraqi didn't sound right to be honest but she used the right words. Kuwaiti, Saudi and Bahraini sounded okay but I can't say for sure. The others I'm not really sure about :D

I love how she used the most stereotypical Emirati things ever - "mar7aba elsaaa333333333333" and "sh7alek?" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and "armes" instead of "atkallem" :D

*Side note: I do not consider Iraqi to be a Khaleeji dialect, but some people do I guess.

Meera

Re: Gulf (Khaleeji)/Yemeni Dialects

Postby Meera » 2017-07-17, 16:27

I really like the Khaleeji dialects. I think they sound really cool. I have the complete Spoken Arabic from Teach Yourself that focuses on Gulf but I really don't know much. I don't know the Spoken Arabic decided to teach Gulf since Egyptian and Levantine seem to be the go to for spoken Arabic, but I think it's cool and an interesting read.

Btw N8an do you kno whivh gulf dialect complete spoken Arabic teaches? I think it is Emirati but I am not sure.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

n8an

Postby n8an » 2017-07-17, 22:06

So I sent the video to my Bahraini friend and he agreed with me that her Bahraini and Qatari were terrible and the Kuwaiti wasn't very good either :rotfl: and he also agreed with me that the Emirati was okay. He didn't comment on the others haha

Meera wrote:I really like the Khaleeji dialects. I think they sound really cool. I have the complete Spoken Arabic from Teach Yourself that focuses on Gulf but I really don't know much. I don't know the Spoken Arabic decided to teach Gulf since Egyptian and Levantine seem to be the go to for spoken Arabic, but I think it's cool and an interesting read.

Btw N8an do you kno whivh gulf dialect complete spoken Arabic teaches? I think it is Emirati but I am not sure.

Same, Khaleeji is so cool! For some reason, most Khaleeji music is sung in the "white" dialect which is like a "neutral" mix of Khaleeji dialects and doesn't sound like any specific country...but I prefer the actual real spoken ones!

Hmmm I don't know actually...do you have any pictures of it? I think books for Khaleeji would probably try and teach the "white" dialect or Saudi, maybe mixed with a Kuwaiti or Emirati word here or there :hmm:

Edit: I just looked at it on Amazon and from the few pages I could see it wasn't really enough to determine which specific Khaleeji it was. I'll try find out more though

n8an

Postby n8an » 2017-07-19, 13:28

Here's a better video of real Khaleeji dialects from each of the countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcRhtKy1m8&t=305s

I love Bahraini and Kuwaiti :D Emirati at times too lol

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-19, 14:58

Bahrani and Kuwaiti are my favorite. I am kind of used to Kuwaiti because I watch that state Kuwaiti tv channel all the time :P
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2017-07-19, 15:01

Meera wrote:Bahrani and Kuwaiti are my favorite.

I dated a Kuwaiti for a bit and have several Kuwaiti friends so I grew to really love it. It's what I think of most when I hear "Khaleeji". I also have a lot of Emirati friends but for some reason to me Emirati is more harsh or something. Bahraini I love because it has a kind of Farsi tone to it :rotfl:

I am kind of used to Kuwaiti because I watch that state Kuwaiti tv channel all the time :P

Which is that?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-19, 15:05

This one:
http://www.media.gov.kw/LiveTV1.aspx
it seems to be a mixture of khaleeji/MSA programming.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-19, 15:10

I also forgot to mention, I really love the Khaleeji dances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_HbS01BRV8
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-21, 22:02

Routledge and the Teach Yourself series both have books specifically for Gulf Arabic. The audio for both is available online for free (Routledge has all their audio on their own website, and the audio for TY is available on YouTube as far as I'm aware).

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”