Levantine Arabic Corner

Moderator:eskandar

Jonne

Postby Jonne » 2006-09-08, 11:32

Irrisim wrote:Look at the Lebanese lesson I just wrote yesterday, and you'll see that I still do 8)

8) .. معقول

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-09-13, 7:04

Jonne wrote:9a7, ma 3indy wa2et lol.. o ra7 3indna exam week hoone kameen :? ya3ni ba3d..er..mosh 3rif..shi iyam?

Eh, fhemt 3aleek. Keef kaan el exam?

Nice lessons Sami, keep them coming. :--)
I knew all of what you wrote, but the accent is a bit different for me.
We yeslamo ha ddeiyaate.
8)

mikey12221

Postby mikey12221 » 2006-09-14, 4:23

hello i'm currently learning arabic in school.my teacher tells me any of the arabic i've picked up over the years is like slang and it's always better to talk in classical arabic....i don't seem to buy this.he tells me the word bidi isn't even arabic its actually turkish and used in few places.the words i've picked up are from syrian and lebanese people tell me what the deal is with classical arabic and lebanese arabic

mikey12221

Postby mikey12221 » 2006-09-14, 4:26

interesting i noticed you said you are jewish irissim.i didn't realize there were any jews left in beirut.there are actually alot here in the US in brooklyn.how is the situation for jewish people in beirut im curious

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-14, 12:10

Lebanese is de facto a mixture of Arabic, Aramaic (especially Western-Aramaic, ie. Phoenician) also some Turkish and more recently English and French.
If you learn Arabic, you will not be able to communicate with Lebanese unless they speak it, and Arabic and Lebanese are as different as Italian and Spanish.
Learning Arabic before learning Lebanese will be no help at all, it will more likely confuse you.

Offtopic:
The Jews in Lebanon live just like every other ethnic backgrounds.
The situation is going better for every year, but all written materials on our community is often wrong - all the sites on the web state that most Lebanese Jews are Beirut and there are only about 20-80 in Lebanon.
This, however is not true... I'm Southern Lebanese - and Jewish. There are about 400 Jews in Lebanon - probably even more... Jews can choose to have written on their papers that they're Maronites, those who have done so - made the actual number of Jews on statistics decrease, ie. it's not known for sure how many there are.. But according to the Jewish Representations Office in Beirut there are more than 400.
Anyways.. This topic is about Lebanese, so we should not discuss my community.

Aaron1st

Postby Aaron1st » 2006-09-27, 8:22

Irrisim wrote:Arabic and Lebanese are as different as Italian and Spanish.

Eih ma3ak 7a2, bas ma be3te2ed ennon b3aad la haddaraje :)

yemken elli be3ref fos7a wo bas ma ye2der ye7ki lebneine, bas bZen enno ra7 yefham 3al 2a2al madmoon el kaleim.

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-27, 12:00

Ente Libneni walashie? :o Bte7ki Libneni mne7 bass;
Ba3ref*, mish be3ref.
BZen? Ha? Shouwwe? :/

Aaron1st

Postby Aaron1st » 2006-09-27, 17:12

Hello Irrisim,
Irrisim wrote:Ente Libneni walashie?

Ana men a9l Lebene (:

Irrisim wrote:Ba3ref*, mish be3ref

Be3te2ed ennak ma fhemet 3alay :?
"ba3ref" hayy lamma be7ki 3an 7aali meaning "I know", bass "be3ref" hayy ma3naaha "He knows", right?!
wayn el ghalat? :roll:

Irrisim wrote:BZen? Ha? Shouwwe? :/

sho baha hayy :D manna nafs "be3te2ed"??

I don't use Lebanese all the time, you know!, but I'm trying my best to keep it up
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same... That is why a friend always lasts or should not be called a friend.

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-27, 18:16

Don't worry, you speak just fine.
Byi3ref = he knows :--)

Esmak Aaron, Aaron esm min el yahoud, ente yahoudi?
Ana yahoudi min el Jnoub Libnen ;)

Aaron1st

Postby Aaron1st » 2006-09-27, 18:27

Irrisim wrote:Don't worry, you speak just fine.
Byi3ref = he knows :--)

I see thanks for correcting me (:

Irrisim wrote:Esmak Aaron, Aaron esm min el yahoud, ente yahoudi?
Ana yahoudi min el Jnoub Libnen ;)

La2 ana Muslim (: Ahleen feek wo b2ahel el-jnoub
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same... That is why a friend always lasts or should not be called a friend.

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-27, 18:31

Tayyib, tsharrafna Aaron w ahla fiek bel Forum :D

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-09-27, 18:32

Aaron, did you say that you can't say you speak Arabic (hence Lebanese?) on a native level somewhere around?

Sami, feeni 2ool enni be7ki lebneeni metel Aaron? :lol:

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-27, 18:34

Lol M@!, just a little side note - Lebanese never use fein, we always use wein :wink:
In the Levantine dialects, Palestinians and Egyptians use fein while Syrians and Lebanese use wein.

Aaron1st

Postby Aaron1st » 2006-09-27, 18:55

Irrisim wrote:tayyib, tsharrafna Aaron w ahla fiek bel Forumc:D

Shurak Irrisim. eli e'sharaf.

M@! wrote:Aaron, did you say that you can't say you speak Arabic (hence Lebanese?) on a native level somewhere around?:

Well, I said I don't dare to say that I do :D Now you are making me doubt :D I speak Arabic natively? :shock: It's my life dream :D

Irrisim wrote:In the Levantine dialects, Palestinians and Egyptians use fein while Syrians and Lebanese use wein.

M@! ma kaan 2a9da "wein", heyye 2a9da "Fini" meaing "can I", 9a7 M@!?

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-09-27, 19:05

Aaron1st wrote:Well, I said I don't dare to say that I do :D Now you are making me doubt :D I speak Arabic natively? :shock: It's my life dream :D

:haharight:
Take part of the Arabic Discussion on this forum, and let me see how is your standard Arabic. Sami will see for your Lebanese.
A diagnostic? :lol:

Aaron1st wrote:M@! ma kaan 2a9da "wein", heyye 2a9da "Fini" meaing "can I", 9a7 M@!?

Akeed! Bezzabet. I wanted to post that but my connection got suddenly all slow.

Sami, fi marraat, bSeer shekk bi lahjtak. :lol:

PS: What's wrong with Unilang? :?

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-09-27, 19:39

LOL, of course.. I'm so stupid and blind some times :oops:
Fieni means can I, it's just the way you translitterate M@!, you see, you also said "libneeni" so I assumed you meant ei, because it's pronounced libneini, not libnieni.
And fein and fien are different as well, fein usually indicates that you're a Palestinian refugee :lol: And fien means can.

Anyways, don't mind me. I just got a little confused. Akel 7aal, Aaron, you can get diagnoses for your foS7a from M@! and for your Lebanese by me.. Just like M@! said 8)

Btw, M@! - sure you can get good at Lebanese, just practise ^^.. Oh, and it's pronounced bizzabt and not bizzabet, I just thought you'd like to know :wink: after all, I'll keep correcting you untill you have a perfectly Lebanese accent :twisted:
Last edited by Irrisim on 2006-09-27, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron1st

Postby Aaron1st » 2006-09-27, 19:41

M@! wrote:Take part of the Arabic Discussion on this forum, and let me see how is your standard Arabic. Sami will see for your Lebanese.

Ya sater :shock: bkhaaf ana halla2 :lol:, hayda fa79 walla shu? :lol:

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-09-27, 20:44

Sami, your transliteration confuses me too. As I said somewhere else, I'd rather write Lebnaani, kamaan and tamaam, than Lebneeni, kameen and tameem. However, I believe I say these words correctly.
If you're to write them in Arabic letters, wouldn't use alif instead of yaa2?
Pistolero told me lately about new term in linguistics that I didn't know.. Have a look at the IPA thread, we talked about it there.
So when I say alif, it's definitely not the same alif everywhere.

Irrisim wrote:Oh, and it's pronounced bizzabt and not bizzabet, I just thought you'd like to know :wink: after all, I'll keep correcting you untill you have a perfectly Lebanese accent :twisted:

I added e to emphasize on the word.. :roll:
You should hear me speak though. I hope it's better than my transliteration. :twisted:

Aaron1st wrote:
M@! wrote:Take part of the Arabic Discussion on this forum, and let me see how is your standard Arabic. Sami will see for your Lebanese.

Ya sater :shock: bkhaaf ana halla2 :lol:, hayda fa79 walla shu? :lol:

Exactly! Fa7S shaamel kaamel la lahjtak ellebnaaniyyi w loghatak el 3arabiyyi. :twisted:
You asked for it. Now head to the Arabic discussion thread. :twisted:

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-09-27, 20:57

I've always wondered what these numbers refer to. :roll:

halla2, fa79....

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-09-27, 20:59

Alcadras wrote:I've always wondered what these numbers refer to. :roll:

halla2, fa79....

I remember that I answered you before. They refer to letters we find no equiavlents for in the Latin alphabet, so we use numbers to transliterate them.
There are also the emphatic sounds, for s I use S, but some use 9, as Aaron did.

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”