Levantine Arabic Corner

Moderator:eskandar

Bubulus
Re: Levantine Arabic Corner

Postby Bubulus » 2012-01-05, 3:52

The book "Eastern Arabic" is often recommended for Palestinian (although apparently it mentions stuff about other mashriqiyya dialects too), if you're interested...

ego

Postby ego » 2012-07-30, 11:27

Who could transliterate (not translate!) this song please? Hashishet albi. It would take me ages.. I just watched the film yesterday and loved it :) 3ala raasi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... N0QjhhZoEc

The lyrics are given in arabic below the video:
قصّيلو فرميلو طحنيلو كسريلو نعّميلو وكتّريلو ولغميلو يللا نقّي بضاعة طازة شقفة بتسوى ألمازه شقرا أو سمرا كلو ماشي يللا حطّي وزيدي وما تخبي هيدا حشيشة قلبي غرقان وبدو فوّاشه رقّيها وعجنيها فرديها وشطحيها فتليها وبرميها وخبزيها على نار ...هيدا حشيشة قلبي... غرقان وبدو فوّاشه ...هيدا حشيشة قلبي... زهقان وبدو خشخاشه خلينا ننسى عنو ونخلص منو وننسى همّو بركي بيفتح راسو وبركي بيفرد وجّو بيضحك تمّو ...هيدا حشيشة قلبي... نعسان وبدو دشداشه

Shad

Postby Shad » 2012-09-23, 10:50

I'm just here to say that I find Lebanese Arabic the most pleasant sounding dialect there is. The lack of resources is really a shame. I'm focusing on Egyptian but I will learn some Lebanese in the future. I'm more likely to meet Lebanese Arabic speakers here anyway.

Is it me or Lebanese pronunciation is a bit harder than Egyptian? With all those schwa. I don't know if there are rules for when to pronounce the schwa.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-09-24, 1:57

shprakh wrote:I'm just here to say that I find Lebanese Arabic the most pleasant sounding dialect there is. The lack of resources is really a shame. I'm focusing on Egyptian but I will learn some Lebanese in the future. I'm more likely to meet Lebanese Arabic speakers here anyway.

Is it me or Lebanese pronunciation is a bit harder than Egyptian? With all those schwa. I don't know if there are rules for when to pronounce the schwa.

Have you tried Spoken Lebanese? Its a pretty good book. Also you could get some books for Syrian which is very similair :) But Egyptian has moere speakers.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Shad

Postby Shad » 2012-09-25, 15:42

Hi, Meera. Spoken Lebanese looked like a phrasebook to me. I don't like using such books. Anyway, I will be focusing on Egyptian and period! Otherwise I will never learn Arabic :p

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-09-25, 17:01

shprakh wrote:Hi, Meera. Spoken Lebanese looked like a phrasebook to me. I don't like using such books. Anyway, I will be focusing on Egyptian and period! Otherwise I will never learn Arabic :p

It is a phrasebook but probably one of the best out there for specfic Lebanese. I dont like Al-kitaab but the new verzion features both Egyptian and Levantine. But I think its a good idea to stick to Egyptian :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2012-10-08, 6:26

Has anyone here spent any time in Lebanon? I'm going for 6 weeks and I'm looking for a private dialect teacher to study with 2/3 hours a day 5/6 days a week. If anyone has any suggestions please get in touch.

nuur

Postby nuur » 2012-10-29, 12:21

After I've mastered MSA, I'm thinking about taking on the Lebanese dialect, but the resources are quite shallow. Only found "Spoken Lebanese" and it's not much. The Pimsleur for Eastern Arabic is teaching the Syrian dialect. Is there something really good for that dialect, except for moving right into that country?

I already know a few words, but obviously they are the easiest (Bonjour, bye, please)

tapuz

Postby tapuz » 2012-12-06, 15:36

Would anyone know a good resource for colloiquial Palestinian Arabic video site?
Streaming or on-demand, doesn't matter. Just something kind of tv programming, like dramas or something, where one could listen to dialogues etc. daily speak.
Native: Finnish (fi) Advanced: English (en) Intermediate: Swedish (sv) Hebrew (he) Dormant: German (de) Japanese (ja)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-12-06, 20:36

nuur wrote:After I've mastered MSA, I'm thinking about taking on the Lebanese dialect, but the resources are quite shallow. Only found "Spoken Lebanese" and it's not much. The Pimsleur for Eastern Arabic is teaching the Syrian dialect. Is there something really good for that dialect, except for moving right into that country?

I already know a few words, but obviously they are the easiest (Bonjour, bye, please)

Ahlan wa Sahlan ya nuur! You should use the pimsuleur, there are very small differences between Lebanese and Syrian, but I think you could pick it up by watching Lebanese media. There is a book called Colloquial Levantine Arabic, it isn't the best, but its better than nothing :

http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Arabic ... ine+Arabic

Also the Al Kitaab updated versions have both the Levantine and Egyptian dialect, it has videos and vocabulary of both. Also, there are some books availble for Syrian. There is : A Reference Grammar Of Syrian Arabic, Levantine Arabic for Non-Natives : A Proficiency-Oriented Approach, and Colloquial Syrian Arabic.
अहिंसा/เจ

Shad

Postby Shad » 2012-12-28, 1:45

Meera wrote:Also the Al Kitaab updated versions have both the Levantine and Egyptian dialect, it has videos and vocabulary of both.

But that's for intermediate learners of MSA, isn't it?

YngNghymru

Postby YngNghymru » 2012-12-29, 18:54

No, al-Kitaab takes you from essentially no knowledge beyond the script and maybe a little vocab from Alif Baa, the preceding book, to intermediate. Its dialect teaching is unashamedly awful, but to be fair it's not trying particularly hard; the book is after all an MSA textbook.
[flag]en[/flag] native| [flag]cy[/flag] mwy na chdi | [flag]fr[/flag] plus d'un petit peu| [flag]ar[/flag] ليتي استطعت

ég sef á sófanum!

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-23, 21:05

I love Arabic and I like all the dialects or I should say all those I've heard so far. But I really want to learn the Lebanese dialect as it is my favorite one. I also like the Egyptian, Iraqi and Moroccan, but like I said any dialect in Arabic is really beautiful :)

I actually want to learn Lebanese dialect first and then maybe learn MSA, but I heard it was pretty difficult :D

ego

Postby ego » 2013-02-10, 15:25

I think a combination of Colloquial Arabic (Levantine) and Spoken Lebanese would work. I am surprised people say Spoken Lebanese is just a phrasebook. I found it to be a very good book for self-teaching. But tbh I had some background before I tried it. That's why I'm saying, try to grasp the basics of grammar from Colloquial Arabic and then go for it!

YngNghymru

Postby YngNghymru » 2013-02-16, 16:07

except Colloquial Arabic (Levantine) is also pretty useless
[flag]en[/flag] native| [flag]cy[/flag] mwy na chdi | [flag]fr[/flag] plus d'un petit peu| [flag]ar[/flag] ليتي استطعت

ég sef á sófanum!

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-09-13, 16:50

Hello everyone! I want to revive this thread because I'm now taking a class in Levantine Arabic. I'm using Haiki bil-lebnani, it is online textbook for Lebanese and if you are interested in Lebanese I highly recommend. That isn't saying much since there isn't much for Lebanese, but I'm loving the site so far. The dialogues are pretty useful and unlike al-kitaab the website actually writes them out for you to follow along with! I only wish they have an upper level site too :(
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-10-21, 8:15

Meera wrote:Hello everyone! I want to revive this thread because I'm now taking a class in Levantine Arabic. I'm using Haiki bil-lebnani, it is online textbook for Lebanese and if you are interested in Lebanese I highly recommend. That isn't saying much since there isn't much for Lebanese, but I'm loving the site so far. The dialogues are pretty useful and unlike al-kitaab the website actually writes them out for you to follow along with! I only wish they have an upper level site too :(

Bump :D I can help where possible

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-21, 18:35

Thank you N8an!
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-03, 20:34

Ahleen! Hi everyone! I've finally decided to start posting on the Arabic forum and try to begin the process of reviving what little I know of Arabic (especially Levantine Arabic and more specifically Shami/Damascus dialect - those are the same thing, aren't they?). I haven't had the luck of running into any Arabic-speakers lately, but who cares? It's a useful language (far more in demand than a lot of the other languages I've been learning, if not necessarily for the right reasons...), there are tons of Lebanese people here anyway (if not also people from other parts of the Levant), and it even makes sense in a way since I know some Turkish and a tiny bit of Egyptian Arabic (and have been studying a few African languages). Besides, it's (sort of) my first foray into the Semitic family, and Semitic languages are somewhat interesting to me in terms of their typology since they're spoken in both Africa and the Middle East.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2017-04-26, 10:15

vijayjohn wrote:Ahleen! Hi everyone! I've finally decided to start posting on the Arabic forum and try to begin the process of reviving what little I know of Arabic (especially Levantine Arabic and more specifically Shami/Damascus dialect - those are the same thing, aren't they?). I haven't had the luck of running into any Arabic-speakers lately, but who cares? It's a useful language (far more in demand than a lot of the other languages I've been learning, if not necessarily for the right reasons...), there are tons of Lebanese people here anyway (if not also people from other parts of the Levant), and it even makes sense in a way since I know some Turkish and a tiny bit of Egyptian Arabic (and have been studying a few African languages). Besides, it's (sort of) my first foray into the Semitic family, and Semitic languages are somewhat interesting to me in terms of their typology since they're spoken in both Africa and the Middle East.

Yes, Shami usually refers to Syria/Damascus 8-) occasionally people use it to mean "Levantine", but I find that way too vague.

Definitely go for one of those dialects! Personally I was always around Lebanese, and then listened to a lot of Egyptian music, and then had tons of Khaleeji friends. Lebanese (or other Levantine) is a good place to start because it's somewhat close to Egyptian and isn't as far from Khaleeji or Iraqi as some other dialects are.

PS, after starting Arabic, you should definitely try Hebrew or Assyrian...because selfish reasons :rotfl:

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”