Translation

Moderator:Mulder-21

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-06, 19:39

Spyrða is derived from sporður fishtail. Fishes are tied together on their tails and put on a bar for drying and the product is called skreið.
Hrækja (verb) and hráki (noun).
Sat þar á haugi
ok sló hörpu
gýgjar hirðir
glaðr Egðir;
gól um hánum
í gaglviði
fagrrauðr hani,
sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-07, 20:43

Mulder-21 wrote:Hunef, what are the Swedish, Jämtlandic and Dalecarlian words for 'excited'? (spentur also means excited in Faroese, and I would be surprised if this also applies for Icelandic)

Swedish: upprymd
Jamtlandic: upp í "[ˈɞrːa]"
Dalecarlian: no clue (need the dictionary)

I am not sure how to normalise the word [ˈɞrːa] (pron. /orra/, /örra/, dative of a definite masculine noun) in the Jamtlandic expression, but it is probably related to Old Norse óð 'chaos, rage'. But I am not sure where the [r] comes from. (May there have been an Old Jamtlandic óðr? Search for "or" in http://g3.spraakdata.gu.se/saob/ for more information on etymology etc..)

If my etymology is correct, one would normalise the expression upp í oðrį, which would corespond to Icelandic Faroese "upp í óðrinum" given an imagined masculine noun óðr 'chaos'.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-07, 20:50

einhar wrote:Spyrða is derived from sporður fishtail. Fishes are tied together on their tails and put on a bar for drying and the product is called skreið.
Hrækja (verb) and hráki (noun).

Jamtlandic has spórð [ˈspʰuːɽ] (masc.) meaning 'fish tail', alright. It's possible that Jamtlandic once had a derived verb with the same meaning as in Icelandic.

Jamtlandic has a noun rák [ˈroːkʰ] (neut.) which means 'fish intestines', or rather 'cavity where the fish intestines is'. But I can't make this into a jamtlandic verb *að rækj' [ɑ ˈreːetʃʰ] with the meaning 'to spit'. It would more mean something like 'to clean the fish from intestines'.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-07, 22:54

The thinnest part of the fish flesh is called þunnildi. Taking the intestines out of the fish is called að slægja fisk.
uggi = fin
kvarnir = fish brain
heili = mammals brain
slor = fish slime
hreistur = scales
slóg = intestines of fish
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-08, 4:14

Hmm, the closest word I could find, when speaking of fish, is sporl, which the part of the fish from the 'sewer canal' (what's this called in English?) to, but not with, the tail. The tail itself is called 'stertur' in Faroese.

However, we have sporð- words, which probably derived from sporl. According to Svabo (dic. from 1780's) the verb 'sporðleypa' is used about fish, who jumps so far up from the sea, that the 'sporl' is visible. When a whale is almost free of the ocean, from a jump or something similar, he is doing a 'sporðreising.' The verb is to 'at sporðreisa'. The joint where the tail meets the 'sporl' is called 'sporðklingra'.

On a curious side note, the Faroese word for 'scorpion' is 'sporðdreki', and 'dreki' means 'dragon'.

When you tie fish together and hang them up to dry, you hang them in two's, and this is called a 'greipa' the verb to 'at greipa'. 'At greipa' means to tie in twos.

In Faroese, skreið is the past of 'skríða'. It's also a word used for fish stimes. Most notably cod stimes. (Stime is the Danish term. Am not sure about the English)

In Faroese, the adjective for something who's pissed or mad about something is 'óður'. For instance, ein óður maður. The corresponding noun 'øði'. Danish translations include 'gal' and 'afsinding'. So 'galen' would probably be the Swedish term.

The thinnest part of the fish flesh is called: tunni, uggi or elja.

Einhar's list:

fin = (on fish) fjøður {feather}, (on an octopus) ravi, (on whale) horn, sveiv
kvarnir = fish brain? (I don't know this, but kvørn is a calciumlike piece of the fish's head. It's also called 'nytra' (Latin: otolith))
mammals brain = heili
intestines of fish = slógv

slor = fish slime
hreistur = scales

Am not sure about the last two.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-08, 20:17

einhar wrote:The thinnest part of the fish flesh is called þunnildi. Taking the intestines out of the fish is called að slægja fisk.
uggi = fin
kvarnir = fish brain
heili = mammals brain
slor = fish slime
hreistur = scales
slóg = intestines of fish

I think I only recognise slóg [l̥uː] here, which has the same meaning in Jamtlandic besides rák [roːkʰ]. Or rather, one has that slóg is a special form of rák. The latter includes bone etc. in the cavity (it originally meant the cavity itself, I guess), while slóg only refers to intestines specificaly.

I think that fish was far more important in Iceland than in Jamtland. Instead, the elk was extremely important here. (It's even the national animal of Jämtland. Every nation, i.e. province, in Sweden has its own national animal.)
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-08, 20:25

Mulder-21 wrote:On a curious side note, the Faroese word for 'scorpion' is 'sporðdreki', and 'dreki' means 'dragon'.

So, you have scorpions in the Faroese islands? :P
There are no scorpions in Sweden, so there's no swedish word for it. (Well, the borrowed skorpion is used. In Jamtlandic we don't even use this word; one never speaks about scorpions in Jamtlandic. Then one would have to start speaking Swedish.)

Mulder-21 wrote:In Faroese, the adjective for something who's pissed or mad about something is 'óður'. For instance, ein óður maður. The corresponding noun 'øði'. Danish translations include 'gal' and 'afsinding'. So 'galen' would probably be the Swedish term.

It's ursinnig in Swedish. (I guess that the ur- prefix is related to Old Jamtlandic óðr 'rage'.) The word galen is used for someone who's crazy rather than mad. (I mean, a galen person may be calm as a lamb though messed up in the brain.)
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-08, 20:44

óður = crazy
galinn = crazy
sinnisveikur = mentally ill
geðveikur = mentally ill

greip = grip
sporðdreki = scorpion
elgur = moose, elk
fax = mane (on horse)
tagl = horsetail
hnakkur = saddle
söðull = saddle (for women, turning sideways)
beisli = bridle
skeifa = horseshoe
skaflajárn = horseshoe, for iceriding
hóffjöður = nail, for horseshoe

There are no scorpions in Iceland, so I guess this comes from the Bible translations or just that the word scorpion didn't fit into our language.
Real four wheel drive cars in Iceland are called, jeppi, derived from Jeep. Smaller four wheel drive cars like Honda are called, jepplingur.
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-09, 4:23

Óður doesn't exactly mean 'crazy' in Faroese. 'Crazy' is usually 'svakur' or even 'óður í høvdinum'. So, there's a difference between 'óður' and 'óður í høvdinum.'

crazy = galin

"Hann var ikki óður, men galin" Another example of the difference. :)

sinnisveikur = mentally ill
geðveikur = mentally ill

Am not sure about these two. Sinnisveikur could be a word, however it's not in my dictionary.

(greip = grip) In Faroese, greip is the past of 'at grípa' (to take a hold of)
sporðdreki = scorpion
elgur = moose, elk
faks = mane (on horse)
horsetail = halafaks, tagl (the girls' ponytails are called 'hestahali')
saddle = saðil
bridle = boksl, meil(a), gríma
horseshoe = hestaskógvur, hóvjarn
horseshoe, for iceriding = no word for this
nail, for horseshoe = nothing for this either

einhar wrote:Real four wheel drive cars in Iceland are called, jeppi, derived from Jeep. Smaller four wheel drive cars like Honda are called, jepplingur.

Hehe, jepplingur. :) What a funny word. :)

Alas in Faroese this is called a 'jeepur' [dZi:pUr] og 'gipur' (same pron). However, here in my village, we used to call them 'jeppur' [jEp:Ur]

Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-09, 20:17

einhar wrote:There are no scorpions in Iceland, so I guess this comes from the Bible translations or just that the word scorpion didn't fit into our language.

Well, skorpion doesn't fit into Swedish either, but is nevertheless used. (There are many foreign words in Swedish which don't fit, but are used.)
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-05-17, 17:51

How is the Lord's Prayer in Faroese?
Hvernig er Faðir vorið á Færeysku?

This is Orkney Norn:

Favor i ir i chimrie, / Helleur ir i nam thite,
gilla cosdum thite cumma, / veya thine mota vara gort
o yurn sinna gort i chimrie, / ga vus da on da dalight brow vora
Firgive vus sinna vora / sin vee Firgive sindara mutha vus,
lyv vus ye i tumtation, / min delivera vus fro olt ilt, Amen.

And this is Shetland Norn:

Fy vor or er i Chimeri. / Halaght vara nam dit.
La Konungdum din cumma. / La vill din vera guerde
i vrildin sindaeri chimeri. / Gav vus dagh u dagloght brau.
Forgive sindorwara / sin vi forgiva gem ao sinda gainst wus.
Lia wus ikè o vera tempa, / but delivra wus fro adlu idlu.
For do i ir Kongungdum, u puri, u glori, Amen
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-05-17, 18:27

Faðir vár:

Fáðir vár, tú, sum ert í himlunum!
Heilagt verði navn títt;
komi ríki títt;
verði vilji tín sum í himni soleiðis eisini á jørðini.;
gev okkum í dag okkara dagliga breyð;
og fyrigev okkum syndir okkara, so sum vit eisini fyrigeva teimum, ið ímóti okkum synda; (1)
og leið okkum ikki í freistingar; men frels okkum frá tí illa.
Tí at títt er ríkið, valdið og heiðurin, um allar ævir.
Amen.

The bible text is a bit different, especially (1), which in the bible is: og fyrigev okkum skuldir okkara, so sum vit eisini fyrigeva skuldarum okkara.

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-06-02, 18:47

Mulder, I guess this Faðir vár is used today. Do you know of any older version in Faroese?
This word eisini, does it mean as on in English and eins og in Icelandic?
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-01-21, 23:05

einhar wrote:Mulder, I guess this Faðir vár is used today. Do you know of any older version in Faroese?
This word eisini, does it mean as on in English and eins og in Icelandic?

The only elder version I can think of, is in the 1822 translation of the Gospel of Matthew by Rev. Schrøter. However, I think it's pretty hard to get your hand on this translation. But it's interesting linguistically, since it's written in spoken Faroese anno ca. 1820's.

Eisini would normally be translated into English as also or too. I don't know the Icelandic version.

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”