Faroese numbers

Moderator:Mulder-21

Seachdar
Faroese numbers

Postby Seachdar » 2006-01-15, 23:27

I notice there are some alternatives to some of the numbers and was wondering which ones are more common in Faroese - the decimal numbers or the "Danish" numbers? For example:

fimmti vs. hálvtrýss

I also had a question about how the numbers are formed. If I wanted to say 64, for example, how would it go?

seksti og fýra?
fýra og seksti?

And if I was using "trýss" would it be either one way or the other?

trýss og fýra?
fýra og trýss?

Thanks for your help.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-01-16, 2:38

Well, both forms are correct, however, the hálvtrýss forms are the most common.

For the name of 64, it's either "fýra og trýss" or "sekstifýra"

From this you can see, that when you use the base 20 system (hálvtrýss, trýss, hálvfjerðs, fýrs, hálvfems) you name the 1's before the 10's. The base 10 system is a pure positional system.

432.789 is thus:

Base 20: fýra hundrað og tvey og tretivu túsund, sjey hundrað og níggju og fýrs
Base 10: fýra hundrað og trítitvey túsund, sjey hundrað og áttatiníggju

Note: I'm not sure if the 10's and 1's are writting together when using base 10.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-01-24, 20:19

Mulder-21 wrote:Well, both forms are correct, however, the hálvtrýss forms are the most common.

From this you can see, that when you use the base 20 system (hálvtrýss, trýss, hálvfjerðs, fýrs, hálvfems) you name the 1's before the 10's. The base 10 system is a pure positional system.

432.789 is thus:

Note: I'm not sure if the 10's and 1's are writting together when using base 10.

As a "swede", I have no problem reading the decimal faroese numbers, e.g. sekstifýra '64' looks like a phonetical spelling of swedish sextiofyra [sɛkstɪfyːra] '64' and 99.9% of swedes would guess its meaning correctly. The "danish" version fýra og trýss looks completely unintelligible to me and to 99.9% of swedes.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-17, 17:58

Hunef wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:Well, both forms are correct, however, the hálvtrýss forms are the most common.

432.789 is thus:

As a "swede", I have no problem reading the decimal faroese numbers, e.g. sekstifýra '64' looks like a phonetical spelling of swedish sextiofyra [sɛkstɪfyːra] '64' and 99.9% of swedes would guess its meaning correctly. The "danish" version fýra og trýss looks completely unintelligible to me and to 99.9% of swedes.

Hunef you have changed the photo and now using a photo of an Icelandic actor.
By the way I've tried to include a photo to my messages with no luck. How do you guys get a photo in there?
Sat þar á haugi
ok sló hörpu
gýgjar hirðir
glaðr Egðir;
gól um hánum
í gaglviði
fagrrauðr hani,
sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-17, 19:17

einhar wrote:
Hunef wrote:

432.789 is thus:

Hunef you have changed the photo and now using a photo of an Icelandic actor.
By the way I've tried to include a photo to my messages with no luck. How do you guys get a photo in there?

You're correct. I have the portrait of the late Icelandic actor Helgi Skúlason as an avatar to my messages. (The picture comes from the Swedish/Icelandic movie Shadow of the raven (1988). The picture of a 20-year-something-old guy with Down's syndrome I used until some days ago is also from that movie. In the future, I'll use a portrait of the Finland-Swedish late actor Sune Mangs which played the corrupt bishop in that movie. Due to legal reasons, I won't tell you where I found the pictures. (Well, I extracted them from a digitalised version of the movie using the Windows Moviemaker program where you can take stills from files in movie format.)
The thing is that you must limit the size of the avatar to under 125 pixels (height and width). I don't remember the size in bytes, but if you use jpg or gif format, a picture of less than 125 pixels will be small enough. You can upload the avatar via Profile right to the log in/out link.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”