Pronunciation Help

Moderator:Mulder-21

asgarnian123
Pronunciation Help

Postby asgarnian123 » 2012-08-19, 13:20

There are a few points of Faroese pronunciation I need help on. First off, how is the -um verb ending (archaic 1st person plural imperative, like in "latum okkum") pronounced? [ʊn] like the dative singular ending, or [ʊm] like it's written?
Also, how is "viðgangur" pronounced?

Oh, and I also have a question regarding some word forms. Are "skín" and "summarið" simply alternatives for standard "skínur" and "sumrið"?
Native: [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]en-US[/flag] Decent: [flag=]no-nb[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginner: [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag] [flag=]sv[/flag]
Überneuling: [flag=]cy[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]pt-PT[/flag] [flag=]da[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]is[/flag]
Dabbling: [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag] [flag=]ar-arb[/flag] [flag=]ka[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]es-ES[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag]
Future (?): [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]sk[/flag] [flag=]sq[/flag] [flag=]ar-EG[/flag] [flag=]el[/flag] [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]kk[/flag] [flag=]kl[/flag] [flag=]mk[/flag] [flag=]zu[/flag] [flag=]art-sjn[/flag] [flag=]mi[/flag] [flag=]en_old[/flag] [flag=]mt[/flag] [flag=]os[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]sw[/flag] [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]uk[/flag] [flag=]vi[/flag] [flag=]ur[/flag] [flag=]kw[/flag] [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ain[/flag] [flag=]nv[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]ko[/flag] [flag=]haw[/flag] [flag=]lv[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag] [flag=]wuu.Hans[/flag] [flag=]art-qya[/flag] [flag=]sa[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]yua[/flag] [flag=]cop[/flag] [flag=]smi-sme[/flag] [flag=]et[/flag] [flag=]gv[/flag] [flag=]br[/flag] [flag=]frr[/flag] [flag=]fy[/flag] [flag=]nds[/flag]

Mulder-21

Re: Pronunciation Help

Postby Mulder-21 » 2012-09-01, 19:15

asgarnian123 wrote:There are a few points of Faroese pronunciation I need help on.

Let's just take them one at a time then. :)

First off, how is the -um verb ending (archaic 1st person plural imperative, like in "latum okkum") pronounced? [ʊn] like the dative singular ending, or [ʊm] like it's written?

Like the dative ending [ʊn]. You can probably hear someone say [ʊm], but it is incorrect.

Also, how is "viðgangur" pronounced?

Since you've used IPA so far, I'll type it thus too. If you need another way to transcribe it, I'll be happy to oblige, though: [vɪk:ɛŋkʊɹ]

Oh, and I also have a question regarding some word forms. Are "skín" and "summarið" simply alternatives for standard "skínur" and "sumrið"?

Well, off-hand, I'd call 'skín' and 'skínur' as being imperative singular and 2nd/3rd person singular present of the verb 'skína', and I don't know what 'sumrið' is supposed to be (but very likely a misspelling of 'sumri' (dative singular of summar)). However, in literature and especially in poetry, it's common to drop syllable to make the meter fit, so it'd be easier if you could provide some context.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. :)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

asgarnian123

Postby asgarnian123 » 2012-09-02, 21:45

Takk! :)

"Sumrið" is what Wiktionary lists as the singular definite nominative/accusative of "summar". And also, I think I read somewhere that "skín" was a poetic alternative to "skínur" (and I may have found something similar about "sumrið" and "summarið"). They're from a Faroese song I'm fond of, here's the stanza in particular:

Treðum lættliga dansin,
dagurin skín so fagurliga;
komið er hægst á summarið.

By the way, "hægst á summarið" means "highest of the summer", right? I guess that's referring to the solstice.

Also, where is the stress located in "viðgangur"? And I forgot to ask how "hægst" is pronounced (I'm not sure whether the consonant cluster is reduced or not).
Native: [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]en-US[/flag] Decent: [flag=]no-nb[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginner: [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag] [flag=]sv[/flag]
Überneuling: [flag=]cy[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]pt-PT[/flag] [flag=]da[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]is[/flag]
Dabbling: [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag] [flag=]ar-arb[/flag] [flag=]ka[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]es-ES[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag]
Future (?): [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]sk[/flag] [flag=]sq[/flag] [flag=]ar-EG[/flag] [flag=]el[/flag] [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]kk[/flag] [flag=]kl[/flag] [flag=]mk[/flag] [flag=]zu[/flag] [flag=]art-sjn[/flag] [flag=]mi[/flag] [flag=]en_old[/flag] [flag=]mt[/flag] [flag=]os[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]sw[/flag] [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]uk[/flag] [flag=]vi[/flag] [flag=]ur[/flag] [flag=]kw[/flag] [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ain[/flag] [flag=]nv[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]ko[/flag] [flag=]haw[/flag] [flag=]lv[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag] [flag=]wuu.Hans[/flag] [flag=]art-qya[/flag] [flag=]sa[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]yua[/flag] [flag=]cop[/flag] [flag=]smi-sme[/flag] [flag=]et[/flag] [flag=]gv[/flag] [flag=]br[/flag] [flag=]frr[/flag] [flag=]fy[/flag] [flag=]nds[/flag]

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2012-09-04, 23:33

asgarnian123 wrote:Takk! :)

asgarnian123 wrote:"Sumrið" is what Wiktionary lists as the singular definite nominative/accusative of "summar".

I can't find anything which supports this, so I'll be editing the Wiktionary shortly. Thus, summarið is the only correct form.

asgarnian123 wrote:And also, I think I read somewhere that "skín" was a poetic alternative to "skínur" (and I may have found something similar about "sumrið" and "summarið"). They're from a Faroese song I'm fond of, here's the stanza in particular:

Treðum lættliga dansin,
dagurin skín so fagurliga;
komið er hægst á summarið.

Well, 'skín' is an archaic form, which is true, but it's not used in modern spoken Faroese. Also, that particular line of that kvæði is now often sung as: "dagurin skínur so fagurliga".

asgarnian123 wrote:By the way, "hægst á summarið" means "highest of the summer", right? I guess that's referring to the solstice.

Hægst á summarið is actually the height of summer, yes, but it refers to the time when the summer is the warmest, which is roughly mid-to-late July and early-to-mid August.

asgarnian123 wrote:Also, where is the stress located in "viðgangur"?

It's on the first syllable: ['vɪk:ɛŋkʊɹ].

asgarnian123 wrote:And I forgot to ask how "hægst" is pronounced (I'm not sure whether the consonant cluster is reduced or not).

In this case, no, it's not, neither does it have metathesis, so it's pronounced as it's written: [hakst].

Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

asgarnian123

Postby asgarnian123 » 2012-09-07, 21:53

Takk aftur. :)

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2012-09-09, 19:47

asgarnian123 wrote:Takk aftur. :)

Einki at takka. De rien.. :)

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”