Questions

Moderator:Mulder-21

Antissimo
Questions

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-14, 17:17

Hey,

I have some questions concerning Føroyskt mál.

1. Is this text (for Wikipedia) correct and meaningful?
Ungarn (Ungarskt: Magyarország) er lýðveldi í Miðevropu. Í vestri hevur Ungarn mark við Eysturríki, í norðri við Slovakia, í eystri við Ukreina og Rumenia og í suðri við Serbia, Kroatia og Slovenia. Høvuðstaðurin er Budapest.

2. Does the term 'Miðevropa' exist (for Central Europe)?

3. The word 'mál' means both 'language' and 'goal' (e.g. in football), doesn't it?

Takk fyri,

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Re: Questions

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-14, 17:27

Antissimo wrote:Hey,

I have some questions concerning Føroyskt mál.

1. Is this text (for Wikipedia) correct and meaningful?
Ungarn (Ungarskt: Magyarország) er lýðveldi í Miðevropu. Í vestri hevur Ungarn mark við Eysturríki, í norðri við Slovakia, í eystri við Ukreina og Rumenia og í suðri við Serbia, Kroatia og Slovenia. Høvuðstaðurin er Budapest.

Szia.

Yes, it is, it reads as follows:

Hungary (Hungarian: Magyarország) is a republic in Central Europe. In the West Hungary borders Austria, in the North Slovakia, in the East Ukraine and Romania and in the South Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia. The capital is Budapest.

Antissimo wrote:2. Does the term 'Miðevropa' exist (for Central Europe)?

Yes. The following terms exist: Norðurevropa (Nothern Europe), Vesturevropa (Western Europe), Suðurevropa (Southern Europe), Eysturevropa (Eastern Europe), Miðevropa (Central Europe).

You can of course mix them: Útnyrðingsevropa (Out North Europe (Means North Western Europe), Útsynningsevropa (Out South Europe (South Western Europe), Landsynningsevropa (Land South Europe (South Eastern Europe), Landnyrðingsevropa (Land North Europe). These terms aren't and haven't been used, AFAIK however.

Antissimo wrote:3. The word 'mál' means both 'language' and 'goal' (e.g. in football), doesn't it?

Yes, it does. It can also be used to describe a goal in life, for instance.

Antissimo wrote:Takk fyri,

Antissimo

Tað var so lítið. Skuldi tað verið eina aðru ferð. :)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Antissimo

Ukraina vs. Ukreina

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-14, 21:40

Thank you for the answers! :D

More questions are coming though... :wink:

4. Do you call 'Ukraine' in Faroese 'Ukraina' or 'Ukreina'? Or maybe both are correct? (Both can be found here: http://www.fmn.fo/listar/lond_og_tjodir/lond-tjodir.htm)

Takk,

Antissimo

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-14, 22:15

And even more:

5. Are these sentences correct?
- 'Ferenc Puskás (1. april 1927 í Kispest - 17. november 2006 í Budapest) var ein ungarskur fótbóltsleikari.'
- '895 var ungariskur landnám.'
- '10. øld taka ungari við kristindóminum.'
- '1. mai 2004 Ungarn blíva alment limur av ES.'

6. Does 'onki' mean 'nothing'?

Takk fyri,

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Re: Ukraina vs. Ukreina

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-14, 22:27

Antissimo wrote:Thank you for the answers! :D

Bring it on ;)

Antissimo wrote:More questions are coming though... :wink:

4. Do you call 'Ukraine' in Faroese 'Ukraina' or 'Ukreina'? Or maybe both are correct? (Both can be found here: http://www.fmn.fo/listar/lond_og_tjodir/lond-tjodir.htm)

Funny, you should ask this, 'cause there was actually a debate in the Faroese newspapers about this. The reason is the Faroese atlas from 1993, where Ukraine was spelled Ukreina, with the intent on pronuncing the ei as a diphthong [aj]. Later people started saying Ukraina [ukra'ïna] and this lead to pro and cons against both. I personally prefer Ukraina since it's how Ukrainians call Ukraine. (or well, they say Ukrajina, but anyway...)

Antissimo wrote:And even more:

5. Are these sentences correct?
- 'Ferenc Puskás (1. april 1927 í Kispest - 17. november 2006 í Budapest) var ein ungarskur fótbóltsleikari.'
- '895 var ungariskur landnám.'
- '10. øld taka ungari við kristindóminum.'
- '1. mai 2004 Ungarn blíva alment limur av ES.'

6. Does 'onki' mean 'nothing'?

Takk fyri,

Antissimo

5. The first is correct. The second should rather be 'Í 895 var ungarskt landnám.' since nám is neuter. The 3rd should be: Í 10. øld taka ungarar við kristindóminum. (plural ending). The 4th is more or less correct, but you should use 'at verða' rather than 'at blíva' in this case (meaning is the same, but sounds better), and move it infront of 'Ungarn'. You can also use 'at gera' in the medio-passive voice:

1. mai 2004 verður/gerst Ungarn limur í ES.

6. Yes, 'onki' means 'nothing'. You can also find the form 'einki'. There is a spelling rule which dictates, that when ng/nk is followed by i or j we write ei infront. However there are a few exceptions. 'Einki'/'Onki' is an example of this.

Just let the question keep coming. :)

Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-15, 9:14

Thank you very much - and I keep asking questions... :)

7. How do you say the following:
- 'I like someone/something/doing something.'
- 'Do you like ... ?'

8. How do you form the accusative of nouns? (I suppose you need it to say you like something.)

9. What do these mean:
- 'Útvortis ávising'
- 'Slódir'

10. How can you see which gender a noun belongs to? Are there more rules of this? (You wrote nouns with -ur ending are masculine.)

Takk fyri,

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-15, 13:40

Antissimo wrote:Thank you very much - and I keep asking questions... :)

7. How do you say the following:
- 'I like someone/something/doing something.'
- 'Do you like ... ?'

- Mær dámar onkran/okkurt/at gera okkurt

Note, that this is a subjectless clause. There are a few of these in Faroese. Unfortunately many people in the Faroes treat these as subject clauses and say things like:

Eg dámi onkran.

Which in my hears sounds horrendous!

Other verbs include: at gloyma, at mangla, at vanta, at tørva/tarva (to forget, to be missing, to be missing, to need)

Because of this the question becomes:

Dámar tær...? (or 'tygum' if you want to use the formal pronoun, yet it's hardly ever used in today's Faroese)

Antissimo wrote:8. How do you form the accusative of nouns? (I suppose you need it to say you like something.)

Usually the Nominative and Accusative have the same form. There are exceptions though:

Weak masculine and feminine nouns change their ending. For masc. it's from -i to -a, and for fem. from -a to -u.

Regular strong masculine nouns remove the -ur ending. (f.ex. bilur (Nom.) -> bil (acc.)) Irregular ones don't (f.ex. fingur (Nom.) -> fingur (acc.))

Antissimo wrote:9. What do these mean:
- 'Útvortis ávising'
- 'Slódir'

You've been roaming the Faroese Wikipedia, haven't you? ;)

I can really translate "Útvortis ávísing", but it's something like External sources or it points to something external. Will have a better word later.

'Slóðir' originally means 'paths' but today it's also used for (hyper)link.

Antissimo wrote:10. How can you see which gender a noun belongs to? Are there more rules of this? (You wrote nouns with -ur ending are masculine.)

Yes, but I think I wrote that they're usually masculine. An exception is though 'fjøður' (feather) which is feminine. I once declined fjøður and fjørður (fjord/firth) to show how close Faroese words can be, but I forgot in which thread it is.

But in general, you can't determine the gender just by looking at a word. Faroese people can because they learn both as they go along. This applies mostly for strong nouns.

Weak nouns however are a bit easier. Masculine nouns always end with -i in nominative singular. HOWEVER, both feminine and neuter end with -a in nom. The difference is though, that whilst neuter is not declined in singular, the feminine are. The change is just -a to -u (in all the three cases A, D and G)

Antissimo wrote:Takk fyri,

Antissimo

Tað var so lítið. :)

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-15, 16:56

Mulder-21 wrote:You've been roaming the Faroese Wikipedia, haven't you? ;)

Ja, og eg eri 'Brúkari:Antissimo'. :) Mær dámar at skríva í Wikipedia. Skrivi um Føroyum í ungarskt Wikipedia.

(trying to form sentences... :roll: having problems with prepositions and adjective declination... HJÁLP! :wink: )

11. How is the (simple present) conjugation of 'at skríva' for example? (Are there more types of verbs or they all have similar conjugation?)

12. If I say 'Mær dámar Eivør', does it mean that I'm in love vith her (I fancy her), or rather just that I like her music? So if I say something like this, is it possible to misunderstand?
Maybe it's not clear... wait... maybe the difference between 'like' and 'love'... Do you understand what I mean?

13. What does 'bara' mean?

Takk,

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-15, 18:33

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:You've been roaming the Faroese Wikipedia, haven't you? ;)

Ja, og eg eri 'Brúkari:Antissimo'. :) Mær dámar at skriva í Wikipediuni. Skrivi um Føroyar í ungarsku Wikipediuni.

(trying to form sentences... :roll: having problems with prepositions and adjective declination... HJÁLP! :wink: )

Really? Are you the one or amongst those, who were responsible for the Hungarian article on the Faroes getting the star?

About your prepositions: Many prepositions govern two cases, so it's not surprising you're a bit confused. :)

Your concrete examples: um always governs the accusative, so: um Føroyar

Í can govern both acc and dat and the difference is that if there's a movement in the sentence you use the acc and if not the dat. I think it's called static and non-static but I'm not sure. But in both your cases, it's dative: í Wikipediuni (notice, I'm handling Wikipedia as a weak feminine noun, and you also have to add the definite article)

However, you're doing a great job in forming sentences. :)

11. How is the (simple present) conjugation of 'at skriva' for example? (Are there more types of verbs or they all have similar conjugation?)

In this case, you're lucky, since 'at skriva' is a weak verb, which in reality just means, that it's stem's vowel doesn't change. So the simple present is skrivaði in singular and skrivaðu in plural. (In this case the persons don't have different endings)

Yes, there are many verb conjugations. In the newest grammar book from the 1990's they're divided into 15 groups. 9 with sound changes, 3 without and 2 irregular groups.

The first 7 sound change groups are also all the strong verbs. Strong is defined by the fact, that verb is single syllabled in the simple past. That's the definition of a strong verb. If you check the UniLang Wiki on this you'll find much more information on Faroese verbs. Actually, the info is more or less a translation of the book.

Antissimo wrote:12. If I say 'Mær dámar Eivør', does it mean that I'm in love vith her (I fancy her), or rather just that I like her music? So if I say something like this, is it possible to misunderstand?
Maybe it's not clear... wait... maybe the difference between 'like' and 'love'... Do you understand what I mean?

In case of British English, which uses the verb 'fancy' you're correct in both forms. It actually means both.

Do you fancy me? = Dámar tær meg?

Of course, 'Mær dámar Eivør' means that you like the concept of Eivør, which in this case means her music.

The problem with Faroese is, that it has no 'middle-verb'. You only have the weak 'at dáma' (to like/fancy) and the very strong 'at elska' (to love)

Antissimo wrote:13. What does 'bara' mean?

Only only. ;)

Antissimo wrote:Takk,

Antissimo

Tað var so lítið.

Hey, hevur tú lagt til merkis, at vit eru grannar? (Hey, did you notice, that we're neighbours?)

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-15, 19:15

Mulder-21 wrote:Really? Are you the one or amongst those, who were responsible for the Hungarian article on the Faroes getting the star?

Ja, og [the other] var Arne List [who] skrivaði um Føroyar í týsku Wikipediuni. [A featured article] eidini.

Mulder-21 wrote:Í can govern both acc and dat and the difference is that if there's a movement in the sentence you use the acc and if not the dat. I think it's called static and non-static but I'm not sure.

Similar to German, if I remember well. :)

Mulder-21 wrote:However, you're doing a great job in forming sentences. :)

Takk fyri! :)

By the way,

13. is there a stylistic difference between 'takk' og 'takk fyri'?

Mulder-21 wrote:The problem with Faroese is, that it has no 'middle-verb'. You only have the weak 'at dáma' (to like/fancy) and the very strong 'at elska' (to love)

14. So 'Eg elski Eivør' would mean 'I love Eivør'?

Mulder-21 wrote:Hey, hevur tú lagt til merkis, at vit eru grannar? (Hey, did you notice, that we're neighbours?)

Eg hevi! :) (or something like this, you understand)

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-15, 21:26

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:Really? Are you the one or amongst those, who were responsible for the Hungarian article on the Faroes getting the star?

Ja, og [the other] var Arne List [who] skrivaði um Føroyar í týsku Wikipediuni. [A featured article] eidini.

[the other] = hin
[who] = ið, sum (no difference in meaning)
[A featured article] = not really sure to translate this, but 'Ein viðurkend grein' is good, I guess.

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:Í can govern both acc and dat and the difference is that if there's a movement in the sentence you use the acc and if not the dat. I think it's called static and non-static but I'm not sure.

Similar to German, if I remember well. :)

Indeed. :)

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:However, you're doing a great job in forming sentences. :)

Takk fyri! :)

By the way,

13. is there a stylistic difference between 'takk' og 'takk fyri'?

No, not really. I guess, 'takk fyri' is 'neater' in writing, but in reality there's no difference.

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:The problem with Faroese is, that it has no 'middle-verb'. You only have the weak 'at dáma' (to like/fancy) and the very strong 'at elska' (to love)

14. So 'Eg elski Eivør' would mean 'I love Eivør'?

Yes. Thinking about it though, it could also mean that you love the aspect of Eivør (music, voice, personality etc.) aswell.

Antissimo wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:Hey, hevur tú lagt til merkis, at vit eru grannar? (Hey, did you notice, that we're neighbours?)

Eg hevi! :) (or something like this, you understand)

Tað havi eg! :) is better. :)

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-02-16, 13:33

Hey Mulder,

eg las ein grein í portal.fo (Trailari blástur av vegnum við Streymin) við ein orðabók. Eg skildi nógv.
(I've read an article at portal.fo with the help of a dictionary. I understood quite much of it.)

Eg skrivið ein stutt grein um Funningur eisini. Tín hýski búgva hagar?
(I wrote a short article about Funningur too. Does your family live there?)

Do you live in Bratislava on the long term, or just for a semester?

Do you have to use the personal pronoun (eg. 'eg') in every sentence, if more following sentences have the same subject, or it's enough to use it in the first sentence?

(And correct my sentences, please! :))

Bei,

Antissimo

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-16, 14:09

Antissimo wrote:Hey Mulder,

First your sentences:

Antissimo wrote:eg las eina grein á portal.fo (Trailari blástur av vegnum við Streymin) við ein(ar)i orðabók. Eg skilti nógv.
(I've read an article at portal.fo with the help of a dictionary. I understood quite much of it.)

Eg skrivi[s]ð[/s] eisini ein[color=red]a stutta grein um Funning [s]eisini[/s]. [s]Tín hýski búgva hagar?[/s] Býr familjan hjá tær har?
(I wrote a short article about Funningur too. Does your family live there?)

This is very good indeed. Yet here are some things to keep a look out for.

Articles are harder to decline in feminine, since they have a different form in accusative, namely -a.

N. ein A. eina

Also, adjectives have their own accusative ending in masculine and feminine, -an and -a respectively:

N. stuttur A. stuttan (m)
N. stutt A. stutta (f)

NOTE: This applies only for strong/indefinite adjectives. Weak/definite are much easier.

1. person has always -i. There are a few exceptions, but they're not common.

Funningur like all village names is conjugated. In this concrete example, Funningur is conjugated like a strong masculine noun (in this case, the 'úlvur' pattern):

Funningur - Funning - Funningi - Funnings

In 'Funningi' g becomes English j, while in Funnings the g is silent.

Faroese is SVO (subject-verb-object), yes, but in questions it changes into VSO, much like most all other I-E languages. (Or well, Germanic at least)

Also, 'húski' is wider that 'familja'. Húski means everyone, that lives in your house. It stems from old days, when you also had servants in the house, they were part of your 'húski'. Today, 'familja' is much more common, yet you may encounter 'húski' in unofficial speech.

Do you live in Bratislava on the long term, or just for a semester?

Antissimo wrote:15. Do you have to use the personal pronoun (eg. 'eg') in every sentence, if more following sentences have the same subject, or it's enough to use it in the first sentence?

Yes, you do. Example:

Eg hitti mannin hjá henni, og eg visti at siga honum, at eg hevði verið í Ungarn í fjør.

I met her husband, and I could tell him (word-by-word: I knew to tell him), that I had been to Hungary last year.

Antissimo wrote:(And correct my sentences, please! :))

Bei,

Antissimo

Of course. :)

One question: What does this following sentence mean:

Wikipedia wrote:Funningur a Funningsfjørður nyugati partján fekszik, melynek végénél (azonban a keleti parton, Rúnavík járásban) az azonos nevű település található.

JP

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-02-17, 12:42

Antissimo, hvørja(r) orðabók/orðabøkur nýtir tú?

Antissimo, which dictionary/ies are you using?

Antissimo

Postby Antissimo » 2007-06-26, 9:13

Hey,
I'm back again! :)

Could you help me please what this means:
utróðrarmaður

Takk fyri!

Hunef

Re: Questions

Postby Hunef » 2007-06-26, 13:46

Mulder-21 wrote:You can of course mix them: Útnyrðingsevropa (Out North Europe (Means North Western Europe), Útsynningsevropa (Out South Europe (South Western Europe), Landsynningsevropa (Land South Europe (South Eastern Europe), Landnyrðingsevropa (Land North Europe). These terms aren't and haven't been used, AFAIK however.

As far as I know, the faroese are a group of islands. How can you then have a term like landsynnings- lit. 'land southern' meaning 'southeastern'? To e.g. Norwegians this would make sense since Norway - their homeland - is in the east when they're on the sea, but to the faroese this makes no sense since the Faroese islands are surrounded by water. Depending on where you are at sea, the land will be in either the south, west, north or east. (Or are the terms preserved from the settleing of Faroese island? That sounds too incredible to be true, but might be true.)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-07-13, 0:32

Antissimo wrote:Could you help me please what this means:
utróðrarmaður

I'm not sure what the English term is, but when a boat goes out for fish the men on board are called 'útróðrarmenn'. This applies to all men onboard the boat.

However, a man who does this for a living or just as a hobby is also a 'útróðrarmaður'. Word-by-word it means 'out-rowing-man'

@Hunef, well, since the Faroese originally are Norwegians, that's where we got the terms.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-07-14, 21:35

Mulder-21 wrote:@Hunef, well, since the Faroese originally are Norwegians, that's where we got the terms.

That was my theory too. He he, then I should call you Norwegian. :lol:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-07-15, 0:36

Hunef wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:@Hunef, well, since the Faroese originally are Norwegians, that's where we got the terms.

Well, BMG, but my genealogy studies show, that my genes are mostly Danish. I found one Norwegian branch though, yet their ancestors were Dutch, so... But sure, go ahead :)

Anyway, Antissimo, back for good?

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-07-15, 1:02

Mulder-21 wrote:
Hunef wrote:

Well, BMG, but my genealogy studies show, that my genes are mostly Danish. I found one Norwegian branch though, yet their ancestors were Dutch, so... But sure, go ahead :)

Anyway, Antissimo, back for good?

Maybe the majority of the Faroese have a Danish heritage?
Carl Sagan

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”