translation/word meaning

Moderator:Multiturquoise

petitchameau
translation/word meaning

Postby petitchameau » 2009-08-13, 22:37

I am just wondering what 'sixarulebi' means? Also, when is it used, and how is it different from 'sixaruli'?

HoneyBuzzard

Re: translation/word meaning

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2009-08-14, 20:37

Hmm, I don't exactly know, but the Kvali dictionary says "sixaruli" (სიხარული) is gladness, mirth. The root ("xar") also shows up in გახარება rejoice, გაახარებს make someone joyful, etc. "Sixarulebi" is probably just the plural form. A google search suggests that people use "sixaruli" metaphorically to refer to their babies and other loved ones - kind of like "bundle of joy" in English, I guess. :)

ninkaakanino

Postby ninkaakanino » 2009-08-15, 23:41

In what context was it used? maybe i could give a more appropriate definition if i knew the whole sentence
If you really want something in life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers. (H.S.)

petitchameau

Postby petitchameau » 2009-08-16, 16:51

Well, I actually asked someone (native speaker) and they told me it means "to make someone happy", so I suppose that is correct. That, and the plural form.

The context was just a conversation between friends, with the phrase "chemi six..."

ninkaakanino

Postby ninkaakanino » 2009-08-16, 18:40

petitchameau wrote:Well, I actually asked someone (native speaker) and they told me it means "to make someone happy", so I suppose that is correct. That, and the plural form.

The context was just a conversation between friends, with the phrase "chemi six..."

"to make someone happy" is a verb - "gaxareba". and "sixaruli" is a noun. and yes, sixarulebi - a plural form. and chemi sixarulebi - my precious, my dear.

i'm a native speaker too ;)
If you really want something in life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers. (H.S.)

petitchameau

Postby petitchameau » 2009-08-21, 1:41

Aha... thanks! :)

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”