How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Moderator: JackFrost

Linguaphile

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-10-15, 18:43

JasleenKaur wrote:I am pronouncing Sa-cher-day is that right ?

I agree with the other people who have responded - there is no ch or tju in the word. I'm in the western United States and pronounce it sætərdeɪ (sat-er-day). The /t/ sound is pretty variable, depending on the speaker and how fast they are speaking: t̬/ɾ/d/t/tʰ (sadder-day, satter-day, etc). At times from other speakers I've also heard sætərdi (sat-er-dee), again with variable /t/.
Forvo has a variety of speakers pronouncing this word, and all of them sound fine and perfectly understandable (although it's quite obvious that they are from different regions of the English-speaking world). The last speaker uses the -di pronunciation at the end of the word, but -deɪ is more standard. I would say the first two examples on the Forvo site are closest to the way I pronounce the word myself, particularly the second one.
Listen to Forvo's variations of this word here: http://forvo.com/word/saturday/
 (en-US) Learning is a treasure that follows its owner everywhere.
 (es-MX) El aprendizaje es un tesoro que sigue a su dueño por todas partes.
 (et) Õpitu on aare, mis saadab oma omanikku kõikjal.
 (de) Lernen ist ein Schatz, der seinem Besitzer überallhin folgt.
 (fr) L'apprentissage est un trésor qui suit son propriétaire partout.

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-24, 14:41

/ˈsætədɪ/
I pronounce it with [dɪ] rather than [di] or [deɪ] usually. Same with Monday, Tuesday, etc.
I should have specified.

Ofc when I am pronouncing it slowly, I would pronounce it like "Sa-ter-day". When I say it at normal speed however then I'd pronounce it as "Sa-er-day"

So like dEhiN, I use /t/. So yes I do flap the "t". Hope that clarifies everything.
"Sa-er-day" Do you mean you flap the t or do you elide it?
Avatar by gill from Glasgow, uk (oy vey!) CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Eioaioai

Postby Eioaioai » 2016-10-29, 15:37

/ˈsætɚdeɪ̯/ but I normally realize it as [ˈsæː.ɾɚ.ɾeɪ̯] flapping both the "t" and the "d." Anyone else reduce both?
5/4 English
4/4 Italiano
2/4 中文
1/4 Suomi
0/4 العربية

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-29, 16:20

I'm pretty sure I never flap alveolar stops after [ɚ]. I just tried doing it now and it sounds quite odd to me.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-30, 21:07

With a flapped /t/, does that lengthen the vowel?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-10-30, 22:59

In a prescribed setting, /ˈsæɾɚdeɪ̯/, but in conversation I most likely contract it to [ˈsæɾ͡ɹeɪ̯]. Does this seem plausible to any other of you North Americans?
N: American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) | B1: Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Greek (el) | A2: Persian (fa) Azerbaijani (az) | A1: Turkish (tr)  (sq)
Personal language journals: TAC ‘17 (general log) | Türkî/Türkçe
I appreciate all corrections. In fact, I encourage them!
AVATAR: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the modern Turkish Republic and champion of secularism

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-31, 2:28

OyVey wrote:With a flapped /t/, does that lengthen the vowel?

Perhaps for some speakers, but generally vowel length is preserved, leading to a phonetic distinction between /d/ and /t/ even with both are realised as [ɾ].

linguoboy wrote:I'm pretty sure I never flap alveolar stops after [ɚ]. I just tried doing it now and it sounds quite odd to me.

Now that I think of it, my father contracts irritable to [ˈiːɚ̯ɾɪ̈bɫˌ]. (As I child, I thought this was an entirely different word, which I mentally spelled eardible.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-31, 3:39

Michael wrote:In a prescribed setting, /ˈsæɾɚdeɪ̯/, but in conversation I most likely contract it to [ˈsæɾ͡ɹeɪ̯]. Does this seem plausible to any other of you North Americans?
What does the halo over the ɾ͡ɹ mean?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-10-31, 4:38

OyVey wrote:
Michael wrote:In a prescribed setting, /ˈsæɾɚdeɪ̯/, but in conversation I most likely contract it to [ˈsæɾ͡ɹeɪ̯]. Does this seem plausible to any other of you North Americans?
What does the halo over the ɾ͡ɹ mean?

I was trying to convey how I shoot straight for the rhotic consonant, a contraction of the rhotic vowel plus the second flap ("-ur+d-") of the "standard" GA pronunciation, immediately after the first flap ("-t-"), almost to the point of coarticulating them. Does that make it any clearer?
N: American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) | B1: Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Greek (el) | A2: Persian (fa) Azerbaijani (az) | A1: Turkish (tr)  (sq)
Personal language journals: TAC ‘17 (general log) | Türkî/Türkçe
I appreciate all corrections. In fact, I encourage them!
AVATAR: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the modern Turkish Republic and champion of secularism

Inky Scrolls

Postby Inky Scrolls » 2017-02-28, 20:18

Another alternative pronunciation if you're going for a British accent, akin to my own, is [ˈsaʔ.ɵ̆ˌdɨ]. This is regular conversation; careful speech would have instead [ˈsa.tˢʰə̆ˌdeːɪ̯].

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-02-28, 20:48

It's an interesting question, now that I think about it, I believe I use two different versions. When speaking distinctly, I'd say it's /ˈsatədeɪ/ but in more colloquial speech it's more like /ˈsaʔəde/. I can't be more specific because the complex phonetic script you people use is way over my head.
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 3:09

I thought I said [ˈsæɾɹ̩dej], but I think I might actually say something more like [ˈsæɾɹ̩ɖej].

Return to “English”