How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Moderator: JackFrost

User avatar
JasleenKaur
Posts: 79
Joined: 2015-09-24, 8:07
Real Name: Jasleen Kaur
Gender: female
Country: IN India (भारत / India)

How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-09-29, 6:17

I am pronouncing Sa-cher-day is that right ?

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 3453
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby dEhiN » 2015-09-29, 6:28

I say it as a /t/ - sa - ter - day (using your transcription). Or in IPA /satəɹdeɪ/.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-CA) | (B2)  (fr) | (B1)  (pt-BR) | (A2)  (es-CO) | (A1)  (ja) (ko) (sv) (ta-LK)
(A0)  (de) (fy) (haw) (hi) (hu) (id) (it) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (sq) (tl) (tr) (zh)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-29, 14:11

JasleenKaur wrote:I am pronouncing Sa-cher-day is that right ?

I've never heard that from a native speaker. A palatalised pronunciation assumes that the u in the second syllable was once long, but as far as I can tell it's always been short. (Cf. Classical Latin Sāturnus.)

According to the OED, the preferred British English pronunciation is /ˈsatədeɪ/. Near as I can tell, according to your ad-hoc transcription system, that would be "Sat-a-day". (I'm American, however, and my native pronunciation is as given in my response to your previous post on the subject.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
JasleenKaur
Posts: 79
Joined: 2015-09-24, 8:07
Real Name: Jasleen Kaur
Gender: female
Country: IN India (भारत / India)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-03, 6:50

Thank you for sharing your point of views. So, kindly tell me which is best pronunciation for this word. Good luck!

tutorpace
Posts: 1
Joined: 2015-10-24, 10:18
Real Name: Tutor Pace
Gender: male
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Contact:

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby tutorpace » 2015-10-24, 10:28

How to pronounce Saturday in British English
/ˈsæt.ə.deɪ/

How to pronounce Saturday in American English
/ˈsæt̬·ər·deɪ, -ˌdi/

User avatar
TeneReef
Posts: 3046
Joined: 2010-04-17, 23:22
Gender: male
Location: Kampor
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby TeneReef » 2015-10-24, 12:08

Saturday
Pronunciation: /ˈsatədeɪ/ /ˈsatədi/
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... q=saturday
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

ling
Posts: 828
Joined: 2012-05-03, 9:09
Gender: male
Country: TW Taiwan (臺灣)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby ling » 2015-10-24, 12:11

I pronounce the "t" as a flap. I'm American (west coast).
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-10-24, 14:56

tutorpace wrote:How to pronounce Saturday in American English
/ˈsæt̬·ər·deɪ, -ˌdi/

What's the logic in using [t] with a voicing diacritic [◌̬] to indicate a voiced alveolar flap rather than the dedicated symbol for a voiced alveolar flap [ɾ]?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
JasleenKaur
Posts: 79
Joined: 2015-09-24, 8:07
Real Name: Jasleen Kaur
Gender: female
Country: IN India (भारत / India)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-27, 12:00

Thank you for sharing your views.

Koko
Posts: 5253
Joined: 2013-11-29, 6:50
Real Name: Jon Stockman
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby Koko » 2015-11-02, 4:48

linguoboy wrote:
tutorpace wrote:How to pronounce Saturday in American English
/ˈsæt̬·ər·deɪ, -ˌdi/

What's the logic in using [t] with a voicing diacritic [◌̬] to indicate a voiced alveolar flap rather than the dedicated symbol for a voiced alveolar flap [ɾ]?

I remember in the discussion group somebody had referenced a paper on how the American [ɾ] is better rendered as [t̬]. Forget the reason behind this, but perhaps tutorpace had read that paper too.

In any case, there's no logic in even indicating an alveolar flap, since they were using broad transcription.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-02, 15:15

Koko wrote:In any case, there's no logic in even indicating an alveolar flap, since they were using broad transcription.

Agreed. At least, if they do also have [r] in that word, than that's like the weirdest accent ever.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5249
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby OldBoring » 2015-11-04, 12:48

I've had an English teacher teach me to pronounce "SUCH-er-day".
But then he's not a native speaker: he's Ukrainian.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-04, 13:33

It never occurred to me it would be such a problem for non-native speakers to know when u represented /juː/ and when it didn't.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
johnklepac
Posts: 2809
Joined: 2012-12-06, 2:18
Real Name: Your Onions
Gender: male
Location: Chicago/Southwest Ohio
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby johnklepac » 2016-04-26, 2:17

linguoboy wrote:It never occurred to me it would be such a problem for non-native speakers to know when u represented /juː/ and when it didn't.

Be forgiving. I know a guy online who I assumed was native-like in English but turned out to think "pool" rhymed with "dull".

User avatar
hashi
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 9170
Joined: 2008-11-02, 2:39
Gender: male
Country: NZ New Zealand (New Zealand / Aotearoa)
Contact:

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby hashi » 2016-04-26, 2:44

linguoboy wrote:It never occurred to me it would be such a problem for non-native speakers to know when u represented /juː/ and when it didn't.

If you compare saturate with Saturday, it's easy to see why there'd be confusion.

If I'm lazy: ['sɛɾədɛ͡e]
If I'm enunciating clearer: ['sɛtɐdæ͡e]

User avatar
Cesare M.
Posts: 2217
Joined: 2010-12-23, 22:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby Cesare M. » 2016-10-03, 1:46

We pronounce it "Sa-ter-day".

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-03, 4:43

Cesare M. wrote:We pronounce it "Sa-ter-day".

Who's "we"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Cesare M.
Posts: 2217
Joined: 2010-12-23, 22:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby Cesare M. » 2016-10-03, 12:45

In Canada. I meant us Canadians.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19263
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-03, 13:19

I disagree. I don't recall ever hearing a Canadian fail to flap the /t/ in this word.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Cesare M.
Posts: 2217
Joined: 2010-12-23, 22:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: How do you pronounce "Saturday" ?

Postby Cesare M. » 2016-10-03, 13:28

linguoboy wrote:I disagree. I don't recall ever hearing a Canadian fail to flap the /t/ in this word.


I should have specified.

Ofc when I am pronouncing it slowly, I would pronounce it like "Sa-ter-day". When I say it at normal speed however then I'd pronounce it as "Sa-er-day"

So like dEhiN, I use /t/. So yes I do flap the "t". Hope that clarifies everything.


Return to “English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest