Help with writing

Moderator:JackFrost

maki07
Help with writing

Postby maki07 » 2015-05-29, 9:07

Hello, my name is Mark i am completely new on this forum. My wish is to learn Italian and improve my English and German. But now i am writing something and i need a little help.

Can somebody pleas check these two sentences.

The fist one: Through all my education I have wanted to increse my knowelige and therefore I was very dedicated.

The second one: I have to point out, that I spent ten months in Germany, where I have attended the intensive German course.

I would be very grateful if you would help me!

maki07

linguoboy

Re: Help with writing

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-29, 14:34

maki07 wrote:Hello, my name is Mark and I am completely new on this forum. My wish is to learn Italian and improve my English and German. But now I am writing something and I need a little help.

Can somebody please check these two sentences?

The first one: Through all my education I have wanted to increase my knowledge and therefore I was very dedicated.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say here. The whole point of education is to increase one's knowledge, so this seems like a rather vacuous statement.

maki07 wrote:The second one: I have to point out that I spent ten months in Germany, where I have attended the intensive German course.

"An intensive German course" unless the addressee knows exactly which course you're referring to. Like if you were writing to the Goethe Institut to explain why you were qualified to attend one of their advanced courses and the reason for this was that you'd already completed their intensive course for beginners.

"I have to point out" is also a bit awkward, but it's hard to suggest an alternative without seeing the larger context.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

maki07

Postby maki07 » 2015-05-29, 18:06

Hellon, linguoboy thanks for help.

To tell you the truth, now when I think about the fist sentence I see your point. I did direct translation from my language. I wanted to explain that I did two schools and later intensive German course. I don't know how to explain in English.

With the second sentence I want to say something additional, that is why I used "I have to point out" it is again direct translation form my language.

Thanks again!

maki07

Postby maki07 » 2015-05-29, 18:15

Hello again.

What if I write sentence something like this:

Through all my life I have wanted to increase my education and knowledge, therefore I was very dedicated.

Does it make any sense?

Thanks again.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-29, 18:49

maki07 wrote:Hello again.

What if I write a sentence something like this:

Through All my life I have wanted to increase my education and knowledge, therefore I was very dedicated.

Does it make any sense?

I still don't get the feeling this says what you want to say. Is this an application for a programme of study or a scholarship or something similar?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

maki07

Postby maki07 » 2015-05-29, 21:01

Actually I am writing my cover letter for a job application.

Thank you very much

Maki07

Return to “English”