IpseDixit - English

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: IpseDixit - English

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-09, 15:35

IpseDixit wrote:When do I have to use the past infinitive in -ing* (e.g: having seen) instead of the simple -ing form (seeing)?

It's not a past, it's a perfect, and it's not an infinitive, it's a participle. Searching "perfect participle" will point you to a lot of sites discussing its usage and giving examples. (The perfect infinitive is "to have seen", which has its own quirky usage.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-05-10, 13:32

Ok.

I have two sentences from LOTR that I don't understand:

- The legend of Bilbo's gold excited both curiosity and hope; for legendary gold (mysteriously obtained, if not positively ill-gotten), is, as everyone knows, anyone's for the finding - unless the search is interrupted.

I don't understand what "is anyone's for the finding" means.

- He lived alone, as Bilbo had done; but he had a good many friends, especially among the younger hobbits (mostly descendants of the Old Took) who had as children been fond of Bilbo [...].

I don't understand "who had as children been fond of Bilbo".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-10, 13:54

IpseDixit wrote:- The legend of Bilbo's gold excited both curiosity and hope; for legendary gold (mysteriously obtained, if not positively ill-gotten), is, as everyone knows, anyone's for the finding - unless the search is interrupted.

I don't understand what "is anyone's for the finding" means.

Cf. the common expression "it's yours for the taking" meaning "it's there to be taken by you".

IpseDixit wrote:- He lived alone, as Bilbo had done; but he had a good many friends, especially among the younger hobbits (mostly descendants of the Old Took) who had as children been fond of Bilbo [...].

It means that when the younger hobbits were children, they were fond of Bilbo.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-05-10, 13:58

Thanks.

Also, what does "take to doing something" mean?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-10, 14:01

IpseDixit wrote:Thanks.

Also, what does "take to doing something" mean?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_to

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-05-15, 10:15

When do I have to use the phrase "on a level" and when "at a level"?

ling

Postby ling » 2015-05-15, 11:12

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:- He lived alone, as Bilbo had done; but he had a good many friends, especially among the younger hobbits (mostly descendants of the Old Took) who had as children been fond of Bilbo [...].

It means that when the younger hobbits were children, they were fond of Bilbo.

It's the same as "...who, as children, had been fond of Bilbo."
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-05-15, 14:27

IpseDixit wrote:When do I have to use the phrase "on a level" and when "at a level"?

This is the kind of question that seems straightforward but is nigh impossible to answer easily. If you gave me specific examples and asked, "Which do I use here?" it would be a snap. But essentially you're asking us to think of all possible common examples for each and then try to abstract from those a usable generalisation. That's a tall order.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-04, 14:18

I've decided I'm going to start listing the new words that I learn:

- wheelwright
- giddy up
- caw
- flutter
- whinny
- nicker
- neigh
- squire
- watertight
- joust
- kennel
- tusk
- bode (ill / well)
- simper
- gash
- grasper
- highwayman
- chirrup
- gouge
- muster
- to best something / someone
- valiantly
- at once
- scullion
- crevasse
- bugger
- don
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-06-07, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-06, 10:10

I'm watching Game of Thrones and a sentence baffled me:

The plans are made. It's time you heard them.

Why "heard" and not "hear"?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-06-06, 13:04

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... v347.shtml
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... /it-s-time

By searching for "It's time" and "past tense", you'll find tons of explanations.
Please correct my mistakes!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2015-06-06, 13:30

Wow I didn't know that. I've always used "It's time + for sb + to-infinitive" and I thought that was the only acceptable construction.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-07, 12:17

Car wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv347.shtml
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... /it-s-time

By searching for "It's time" and "past tense", you'll find tons of explanations.

Thanks!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-06-08, 1:38

You're welcome.
Please correct my mistakes!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-29, 14:16

I was watching a YT video and the guy in this video (who's American) used the term "international countries" to mean "foreign countries". Is that common?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-06-29, 14:38

IpseDixit wrote:I was watching a YT video and the guy in this video (who's American) used the term "international countries" to mean "foreign countries". Is that common?

Never heard it before. Sounds ridiculous. I wonder if it's some kind of back formation from compounds like "international country codes".

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2015-06-29, 15:44

IpseDixit wrote:I was watching a YT video and the guy in this video (who's American) used the term "international countries" to mean "foreign countries". Is that common?

Huh, I recently heard a YouTuber do that too. (Maybe it was the same video?) I agree with linguoboy that it's not common or standard, but it does strike me as an unsurprising error that someone might make. For example, at my university the non-American students were referred to (both formally and informally) as "international", so I can see how someone might extrapolate that "international" is a general synonym for "foreign".
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-29, 16:06

linguoboy wrote:Never heard it before. Sounds ridiculous. I wonder if it's some kind of back formation from compounds like "international country codes".

I can't re-find the video but I don't think that was the case...

Lazar Taxon wrote:Huh, I recently heard a YouTuber do that too. (Maybe it was the same video?) I agree with linguoboy that it's not common or standard, but it does strike me as an unsurprising error that someone might make. For example, at my university the non-American students were referred to (both formally and informally) as "international", so I can see how someone might extrapolate that "international" is a general synonym for "foreign".

I don't know about you but to me when referring to people it sounds less weird than when referring to countries.

Anyways my youtuber is Emergency Awesome

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-06-29, 16:09

IpseDixit wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Never heard it before. Sounds ridiculous. I wonder if it's some kind of back formation from compounds like "international country codes".

How would you be able to tell that from a video?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-29, 16:11

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:

How would you be able to tell that from a video?

I must've misunderstood you then...

Return to “English”