IpseDixit - English

Moderator:JackFrost

IpseDixit
Re: IpseDixit - English

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-09, 20:02

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Ok, I'll check it out. Thnx.

Just so you know, it ain't cheap! Even the paperback version is $50+. You won't find a better one-volume resource for the contemporary language, however.

Yep, I imagined that. Good things come with a price. :\

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-09, 22:00

hey, is this one here?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-09, 22:06

IpseDixit wrote:hey, is this one here?

That's the one! I'm surprised to see it available for free.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-09, 22:13

linguoboy wrote:

That's the one! I'm surprised to see it available for free.

Me too. It was the first result of Google!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-09, 23:54

is it* this one here

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-15, 0:32

I've noticed that sometimes I have trouble choosing between this and that when I'm writing. I do know the rule that this is for near things and that for far things, but this rule doesn't help me much when, like in a forum, there aren't spatial coordinates and this/that aren't use to point at concrete objects but to refer to things previously mentioned/said.

For example, I quote a post and I want to say that I agree with what's been said in that post, should I write "I agree with that" or "I agree with this"?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-04-15, 1:52

Here's what I think: If you've quoted the post, "this" is a good choice (one way of expressing agreement with something on the Internet is to simply write "This" under the quote). If you put your comments after the quote, "that" can also work. But if you don't quote the post, "that" is better. I think generally, "this" refers to things that come after it, and "that" refers to things that come before it, but that Internet usage I mentioned above has muddied things a little.
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 2015-04-15, 1:57, edited 1 time in total.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-15, 1:56

I agree with this.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-04-15, 1:57

Haha, very funny. :ohwell:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-15, 9:39

Dormouse559 wrote:If you put your comments after the quote, "that" can also work.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :\

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-04-15, 13:29

If you quote the post, you could put text before or after it. Before the quote, you could say, "I agree with this", but not "I agree with that".
IpseDixit wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :\
After the quote, you could say either "I agree with this" or "I agree with that".

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-15, 19:51

Dormouse559 wrote:If you quote the post, you could put text before or after it. Before the quote, you could say, "I agree with this", but not "I agree with that".
IpseDixit wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :\
After the quote, you could say either "I agree with this" or "I agree with that".

Oh, ok. Thanks. BTW, what about it?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-15, 20:23

What about it?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-15, 20:29

linguoboy wrote:What about it?

Can I use it in place of this/that?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-15, 20:33

IpseDixit wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What about it?

Can I use it in place of this/that?

You mean, can you say, "I agree with it" to show agreement with something someone has just posted?

It is absolutely unidiomatic and a clear sign of being a non-native speaker. You need a clear antecedent before you can use "it". For instance:

"What do you think of this article?"
"I'm not sure I agree with it, but it was an interesting read."

"It" refers back to "this article". But if someone just posted the article, you'd need to use a demonstrative.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-15, 20:37

Yep, that's what I meant. Thnx.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-16, 20:29

Is it true that that (when it works as relative pronoun) cannot replace who in this kind of sentence:

My brother, who works in a bank, says this is a good time to apply for a mortgage.

Btw what do you call that kind of sentence (the underlined bit)? In Italian it's called incidentale but I wasn't able to find an English translation.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-16, 20:33

IpseDixit wrote:Is it true that that (when it works as relative pronoun) cannot replace who in this kind of sentence:

My brother, who works in a bank, says this is a good time to apply for a mortgage.

Btw what do you call that kind of sentence (the underlined bit)? In Italian it's called incidentale but I wasn't able to find an English translation.

That's a relative clause, a particular kind of subordinate clause. They come in two types, restrictive and unrestrictive. According to the punctuation, this is the latter.

Style guides prescribe who when the antecedent is human, but colloquially it's not unusual to hear "that" or even "which".

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-04-17, 2:06

That said, I'd find it weird if someone used "that" or "which" with a human antecedent in an unrestrictive relative clause, like the one in the example sentence. It would sound fine to me if someone did that with a restrictive clause, though.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-05-09, 13:59

When do I have to use the past infinitive in -ing* (e.g: having seen) instead of the simple -ing form (seeing)?

*probably it has another name but I don't know it.

Return to “English”