Translation of two Chinese words

Moderator:JackFrost

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Translation of two Chinese words

Postby OldBoring » 2014-11-16, 14:42

How can you say 沉香1 and 本钱2 in English?

1沉香 is agarwood, also known as oud, oodh or agar according Wikipedia.

Context: my girlfriend is working as a saleswoman at a jewellery fair selling jewels made of agarwood and whole logs of it; and she has to explain foreign visitors what she sells.
What would be the most understood word by Western speakers?

Since it's a thing typical of Asia, I'm afraid Westerners would have no idea about it, so I suggested my girlfriend to say "incense wood" in case they don't know this material. Is it fine?

2本钱 in Chinese means the amount of money that the seller spent to produce or buy the product; what in economics would be called "capital" or "production cost".

The Chinese vendors like to say that they are making a very good price that it's the “本钱价格”, i.e. they are selling it at the same amount that cost them.
I suggested "factory price" - which may be true for some jewels, while some other jewels may be hand-made, and the wood logs are not manifactured at a factory...

How would you express this concept (price=本钱) in English?

Maybe to answer this thread, we need English speakers with knowledges of Chinese. :)

linguoboy

Re: Translation of two Chinese words

Postby linguoboy » 2014-11-16, 17:30

Youngfun wrote:2本钱 in Chinese means the amount of money that the seller spent to produce or buy the product; what in economics would be called "capital" or "production cost".

The Chinese vendors like to say that they are making a very good price that it's the “本钱价格”, i.e. they are selling it at the same amount that cost them.

Or, as we say in English, "selling at cost".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-11-17, 2:39

Thanks!

Perkwunos

Postby Perkwunos » 2014-11-28, 7:18

Youngfun wrote:1沉香 is agarwood, also known as oud, oodh or agar according Wikipedia.

Context: my girlfriend is working as a saleswoman at a jewellery fair selling jewels made of agarwood and whole logs of it; and she has to explain foreign visitors what she sells.
What would be the most understood word by Western speakers?

Since it's a thing typical of Asia, I'm afraid Westerners would have no idea about it, so I suggested my girlfriend to say "incense wood" in case they don't know this material. Is it fine?

I think this is just one of those words that we would very rarely exposed to and I don't think there is a short and clear way of translating it. So the best thing to do in my opinion would just be to describe it.

"This is made of agarwood: the wood that's used to make incence."

However on the Wikipedia it describes it as a "dark resinous heartwood" which I think sounds more pleasing to the ears.

"It's made of a dark resinous heartwood, which is normally used to make incence."
Native: [flag=]en-gb[/flag]
University Major: [flag=]zh[/flag]
A long story....: [flag=]fr[/flag]
Having a crack at: [flag=]wuu[/flag] 上海闲话

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-11-28, 7:47

谢谢侬,Perkwunos!

Perkwunos

Postby Perkwunos » 2014-11-28, 15:35