How to learn speak English quicly?

Postby Alex V. » 2014-03-11, 12:57

i need to learn to speak English.

pls help me

linguoboy

Re: How to learn speak English quicly?

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-11, 14:17

What do you expect us to do?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-11, 14:24

Ia o carte și citește-o.
Cuvintele pe care nu le înțelegi, tradu-le și scrie-le într-un caiet și învață-le.
Iar când o termini și le-ai învățat atunci citește cartea din nou.

Dar mai întâi pune-ți gramatica la punct.
O cărticică mică de gramatică de cam 100 de pagini ar trebui să fie suficient,
dar sunt sigur că se poate găsi și pe internet destul de ușor.

Oricum de ce ai nevoie s-o știi atât de repede?

Outerman

Postby Outerman » 2014-03-28, 15:41

Find a person who knows english and speak to them. Get a pen pal and write letters or emails to them. This should help you grow, and try to read books (from children to older ages).
Hi :)

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-31, 17:47

Out of all of these posts, i'd recommend Levente's solution as the best. I don't speak Romanian, but if you copy-paste it into Google Translate, you can get the general idea of the post. Also, @MikeNJ, you posted that twice.
Well, that was a thing.
speak: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag]
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

yanis

Postby yanis » 2017-03-30, 17:37

If your goal is to really speak (not read or write) then watch videos on youtube, or better yet go to teentok.com which has a library of free video lessons with everyday life situation and video practice exercises. Watching videos will greatly improve your speaking and listening.

By the way it's "quicKly"

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-30, 18:03

yanis wrote:If your goal is to really speak (not read or write) then watch videos on youtube, or better yet go to teentok.com which has a library of free video lessons with everyday life situation and video practice exercises. Watching videos will greatly improve your speaking and listening.

Does Teentok use native speakers? I've found that a lot of the "learn English" videos on youTube feature non-native speakers. Most of them are functionally fluent, but they still teach errors that I have to end up correcting later.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2017-03-31, 19:28

linguoboy wrote:I've found that a lot of the "learn English" videos on youTube feature non-native speakers. Most of them are functionally fluent, but they still teach errors that I have to end up correcting later.

Are natives error-free?

I don’t know about the English-speaking world, but if I think of Bulgarians, many make loads of lexical and grammatical mistakes, even though they’re native. Also, the average French person cannot even distinguish between past and future (passé composé and futur simple are the same in speech, but are written very differently. It’s astounding that many native speakers do not even notice they’re writing the wrong tense, whereas to me it reads like nonsense.)

(en) Please correct any mistakes and imperfections you can spot in the way I use English or any other language.
(fr) Merci de me corriger si vous sentez que ce que j’écris ne sonne pas au mieux ou ne vous paraît pas parfaitement français.
(dk) I bedes rette alle fejl og ufuldkommenheder I får øje på i det jeg skriver.
(de) Wenn ihr Fehler oder Unvollkommenheiten in meinen Meldungen findet, bitte korrigiert mich :ohwell:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-31, 19:36

Woods wrote:Are natives error-free?

Not free of production errors, but you know you can trust their pronunciation and their syntax. Some of the things I hear from non-native teachers you won't find in the spontaneous speech of any native English-speakers anywhere.

Woods wrote:I don’t know about the English-speaking world, but if I think of Bulgarians, many make loads of lexical and grammatical mistakes, even though they’re native.

The errors I see most often from natives are false generalisations, e.g. "This is the way to say X" or "We never say Y in English". So their word choice and grammar is correct, at least for their own variety, but they might not know enough about other varieties to avoid leading you astray with their pronouncements. If theirs is not the variety you're interested in learning, a non-native speaker might be a better choice. But my experience is that most people are looking to learn one of the most common varieties (e.g. colloquial General American, Estuary English) and for those there's no shortage of educated native speakers producing videos.

yanis

Postby yanis » 2017-04-02, 9:40

Not sure whether teentok.com uses all native speakers, never asked myself the question so I would say it's either the case or it's close enough... I agree that native is native, and that a non-native, no matter how fluent, will always miss some depth in the knowledge of the language. But in terms of learning spoken English as it's used in everyday life, I think some non-natives are doing a great job at teaching. Learning from them is actually sometimes easier for learners because those teaching have been down the learning path and know the pain points from the inside. I don't think an occasional "native glitch" here and there would be that harmful. Of course we're talking about people having lived and breathed in English for many years, and being good at it .

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-01-26, 20:26

Woods wrote:Also, the average French person cannot even distinguish between past and future (passé composé and futur simple are the same in speech, but are written very differently. It’s astounding that many native speakers do not even notice they’re writing the wrong tense, whereas to me it reads like nonsense.)

I know this is an old post, but I get to read it only now.

Can you give me some example where passé composé and futur simple are the same in speech?
It seems very unlikely to me since passé composé is formed by to words while futur simple is only one.

Maybe conditionnel and futur simple? Same pronunciation, different endings.

Si j'en avais la possibilité, j'irais là-bas. Conditionnel
Demain, j'irai à l'aéroport. Futur

Apart from that, I agree that native are not error-free, I have the proof every day at work :))
However there are some subtilities which are usually perceived only when you are native or if you have been immersed in a language for a great amount of time.
Thanks for any correction :)

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-02-04, 17:37

Lutrinae wrote:Can you give me some example where passé composé and futur simple are the same in speech?

Hi!

Yeah, that's old. Maybe I messed up the terms. I guess I meant futur proche:

Il va arrivé.
Il est arriver.

While the latter is less likely, the former is pretty common. And that's only one of many examples of nonsensical, incompetent writing.

You on the other hand have given another example which illustrates the same.

Actually, due to the same pronunciation and also it being totally detached from the writing, I sometimes do similar mistakes. But that happens only the first time I write the text - when I reread it it strikes me as totally incorrect and I fix it immediately. While I have the impression that a large proportion of French people just don't know which form they should write.

PS I don't know if you appreciate corrections, but the English word is subtleties, while subtilités is French :)

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-04, 18:09

Woods wrote:
Lutrinae wrote:Can you give me some example where passé composé and futur simple are the same in speech?

Hi!

Yeah, that's old. Maybe I messed up the terms. I guess I meant futur proche:

Il va arrivé.
Il est arriver.

While the latter is less likely, the former is pretty common. And that's only one of many examples of nonsensical, incompetent writing.

You on the other hand have given another example which illustrates the same.

Actually, due to the same pronunciation and also it being totally detached from the writing, I sometimes do similar mistakes. But that happens only the first time I write the text - when I reread it it strikes me as totally incorrect and I fix it immediately. While I have the impression that a large proportion of French people just don't know which form they should write.

I get what you mean, it's very common if you don't re-read yourself. It happens to me if I am in a text conversation with friends and I don't pay attention. And once it's send I see it and I have to correct afterwards.

I don't know if it's a large proportion though, it's mainly people who didn't or couldn't learn basic grammar.
And those are rules that you usually learn quite early on at school, at a time were most kids don't care. As a "willing" learner, you pay more attention to all the rules and mistakes to avoid.

And for that exemple between passé composé and futur, there's the easiest trick to always know how to end it, replace with the verb "vendre".

Woods wrote:PS I don't know if you appreciate corrections, but the English word is subtleties, while subtilités is French :)

Oh yes please, don't hesitate to correct, I really appreciate it, thank you :)
Thanks for any correction :)

Return to “English”