English - Multi

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: English - Aisling

Postby linguoboy » 2015-07-21, 17:51

Aisling wrote:as a result of the analysis study.

I have no idea what an "analysis study" is or how this resulted in the two suspects being taken into custody.

Aisling wrote:The suspects have been identified as Moscow-born A.B. (34) and Grozny-born Russian citizen of Chechen nationality M.Z. (27).

When descriptors get that long, English-speakers don't like to insert them before the modified noun. More natural would be "...and M.Z. (27), a Russian citizen of Chechen nationality who was born in Grozny."

Aisling wrote:It is reported that an inquiry has been instituted about the two people who reportedly didn't take their passports with which they entered Turkey with them for the crime of being members of a terrorist organisation.

Very confusing sentence. They didn't take their passports...where exactly? Do you mean they used them to entre the country but didn't have them on them when they were arrested? Also, by the standards of English journalistic prose, this sentence is almost run-on. It's a very specific style which favours short simple sentences. For comparison, here's a similar story from The Independent, a UK newspaper:
Turkish police have arrested 21 people suspected of being members of Isis, according to state media reports.

Authorities seized hunting rifles and ammunition in the simultaneous operations which took place at dawn.

It is reported that police seized nine firearms as well as homemade explosives in the raids.

Three of the detainees were foreign nationals, who authorities believe were planning on entering Syria to fight for the militant group.

Nato has been putting pressure on Turkey to do more to prevent foreign fights from crossing into Syria to join Isis.

US officials held talks in the Turkish capital of Ankara this week on how the country can crackdown on Isis activity.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-07-22, 8:39

Aisling wrote:It is reported that an inquiry has been instituted about the two people who reportedly didn't take their passports with which they entered Turkey with them for the crime of being members of a terrorist organisation.
Like linguoboy said, this is too much information for one sentence. Assuming I understood everything correctly, I'd say:

It is reported that the two are under investigation on suspicion of being members of a terrorist organization. They allegedly left their passports behind after using them to enter Turkey.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-19, 4:50

linguoboy wrote:
Aisling wrote:as a result of the analysis study.

I have no idea what an "analysis study" is or how this resulted in the two suspects being taken into custody.

I'll admit I haven't looked through this too carefully yet, but maybe "as a result of investigations" would make more sense?

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: English - Elaine

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-06-14, 18:02

Hello again.

I'm currently trying to work hard in order to get high marks at my English-language exam, but I actually have forgotten many grammatical rules. I can speak well but I don't understand everything I hear.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-06-14, 18:53

goodluck

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2016-10-03, 1:38

Elaine wrote:Hello again.

I'm currently trying to work hard in order to get high marks at on my English-language exam, but I actually have forgotten many grammatical a lot of (the) grammar rules. I can speak well but I don't still can't understand everything I hear.

Just so you know, my corrections are based on what sounds more natural to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-12-04, 1:11

Hello. My English became very very bad because I didn't practice it for a very long time. I even forgot simple words and expressions. I only understand written texts, but it is also not very good... I haven't practiced to speak, listen and read in English, because I have Greek lessons at the University. The reason for me to put only one star in English is because I forgot many words while learning other ones.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2016-12-04, 14:41

Elaine wrote:Hello. My English became very very bad very rusty because I didn't practice it for (I'd use in) a very long time. I even forgot simple words and expressions. I can only understand written texts, but it is also not even my comprehension isn't always very good either. I haven't practiced speaking, listening and or reading in English the language because I have Greek lessons at the university since I've been studying Greek at university. The reason for me to put only (or: The reason as to why I only put) one star in for English is because I forgot many words while learning other ones.

Hope my corrections help.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-03-11, 17:16

I tried to write a sentence:

It isn't the first time I told you that petrol was inflammable, and drinking it even accidentally may result in a sudden death. You told me that you had accidentally drunk petrol, therefore I advise you to see a doctor immediately.

Waiting for corrections :)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-03-11, 17:58

Multiturquoise wrote:It isn't the first time I told you that petrol was inflammable, and drinking it even accidentally may result in a sudden death. You told me that you had accidentally drunk petrol, therefore I advise you to see a doctor immediately.

Here's how I'd phrase the sentences:
This isn't the first time I've told you that petrol is flammable(,) and drinking it even accidentally may result in sudden death. You told me that you accidentally drank petrol, therefore I advise you to see a doctor immediately.

A few tweaks to pronouns and tenses. The comma in parentheses is optional; I'd remove it if the phrase "drinking … death" is governed by "I've told you that". Also, while "inflammable" is technically correct, a lot of English speakers misinterpret it as meaning "nonflammable". "Flammable" is much clearer.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: English - Multi

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-03-11, 18:36

Dormouse559 wrote:
Multiturquoise wrote:It isn't the first time I told you that petrol was inflammable, and drinking it even accidentally may result in a sudden death. You told me that you had accidentally drunk petrol, therefore I advise you to see a doctor immediately.

Here's how I'd phrase the sentences:
This isn't the first time I've told you that petrol is flammable(,) and drinking it even accidentally may result in sudden death. You told me that you accidentally drank petrol, therefore I advise you to see a doctor immediately.

A few tweaks to pronouns and tenses. The comma in parentheses is optional; I'd remove it if the phrase "drinking … death" is governed by "I've told you that". Also, while "inflammable" is technically correct, a lot of English speakers misinterpret it as meaning "nonflammable". "Flammable" is much clearer.

I'm thankful for you for every correction you make! :) I may mix up tenses, since they're difficult to memorise for me. Sometimes I can't remember where to use which tense.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: English - Multi

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-09, 7:16

For whatever it's worth, I don't think you told me that you had accidentally drunk petrol is ungrammatical at all, just a bit unusual and possibly stilted, at least in American English.

Return to “English”