the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-06, 16:29

linguoboy wrote:Surprise! I'm gonna disagree with you again, dEhiN.

I'm actually not surprised, though I was hoping I could offer one correction without us disagreeing! :D

linguoboy wrote:"We" refers to the speaker ("me") and whoever accompanied them. The clause is absolutely correct and idiomatic as written. If you referred to yourself and one or more people accompanying you as "they" in conversation, you would confuse the hell out of me.

See I think you and I read Osias's sentence differently, at least semantically*. I didn't read what he wrote as to include him, thus making it a plural subject. All the TPAM statements I've seen (in English or any language) have used the subsequent poster as the subject - either in 3rd person singular or plural, if another 3rd person subject is added. And if the original poster of the TPAM statement includes him/herself in the statement, it's been as the object. Thus, pragmatically*, I assumed Osias was making the subject 3rd person, in which case "we" would be wrong.

*I'm pretty sure I used semantically and pragmatically in the correct usages, although I've been known to mix up those two and syntactically. Also, you know linguoboy, you don't have to disagree with me all the time. You could just offer another point of view as a native speaker with a different dialect than mine. Disagreeing implies that you think what I wrote is wrong, which perhaps you meant to imply. However, I am a native speaker of English, and though I haven't always phrased my corrections in a way that remembers or recognizes other dialects, I do know my dialect.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-06, 16:41

I am disagreeing with you. I think you've misread Osias' sentence, which is odd because it's pretty straightforward:
Osias wrote:The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but those were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.
The next person is the subject in this sentence--but only in the first clause. Then the speaker, which is the (indirect) object in that clause, becomes the subject of the final one.

This isn't even the first time Osias has done this in this thread. Give me a little time and I'll find other examples.

ETA: Here's a less complicated example where the speaker is the subject of the first two clause and the next person is the subject only on of the last:
Osias wrote:When I was walking down my street last night I saw a black dog that reminded me of the love the person after me has for puppies.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-06, 17:26

linguoboy wrote:I am disagreeing with you. I think you've misread Osias' sentence, which is odd because it's pretty straightforward:
Osias wrote:The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but those were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.
The next person is the subject in this sentence--but only in the first clause. Then the speaker, which is the (indirect) object in that clause, becomes the subject of the final one.

Yeah you're right; I did misread his sentence. I swear that second "me" wasn't in there the first however many times I read it and I only noticed it now in your reply. In that case, I retract my last several posts, including my little rant toward you. I hope there's no hard feelings. :D
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-06, 19:16

You at least understood that the ones who were teleported were me and the person who got me the tickets? :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-06, 19:24

Osias wrote:You at least understood that the ones who were teleported were me and the person who got me the tickets? :hmm:

I saw this as a likely interpretation but not as the only possible interpretation.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-03-06, 22:04

Question: I know "we got teleported" is correct, but in the case of "got" vs. "was/were" I always tend to "we were teleported". I've got a feeling that while both are correct, AmE tends towards "got" and BrE towards "was/were". Is that correct?
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-06, 22:23

Babbsagg wrote:Question: I know "we got teleported" is correct, but in the case of "got" vs. "was/were" I always tend to "we were teleported". I've got a feeling that while both are correct, AmE tends towards "got" and BrE towards "was/were". Is that correct?

In AmE, this is chiefly a register difference: get is more common in colloquial registers whereas be is highly preferred in more formal ones. I can't speak to BrE usage in this regard.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-07, 0:55

This is the register and vocabulary I got from reading superhero comics. Though Superman would probably say "the register I picked up from...".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-07, 21:29

Osias wrote:You at least understood that the ones who were teleported were me and the person who got me the tickets? :hmm:

If you're asking me, then no. Because I missed that second "me", I thought there was only the person who got the tickets, hence the misunderstanding with "we".

Edit: In order to keep the game going,

linguoboy wrote:The person after me will tell the world about our meet-cute.

We've never met-cute (I can make to meet-cut a verb, right?) had a meet-cute, at least to my recollection. Though I have had a couple of drunken blackouts in my past, so perhaps we did? :D

The grandfather of the person after me is themself/themselves and it happened just like Fry from Futurama.

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-03-07, 23:26

Wouldn't that involve shagging my own daughter and mother? I dearly hope I haven't done/won't do that.

The person after me was the first chicken that came out of the first egg
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-07, 23:51

I was too lazy for that, my cousin got there first.

There's this boy on my neighborhood that intends to seduce the person after me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-08, 14:17

Osias wrote:There's this boy on in my neighborhood that intends to seduce the person after me.

Think of the preposition as an ellipsis of the verbal phrase "living/live in".

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-08, 15:15

I think I was ellipsising "hanging on", but even so I believe the term should be "hanging around".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-08, 16:01

Osias wrote:I think I was ellipsising "hanging on", but even so I believe the term should be "hanging around".

Yeah, "hanging around" sounds better than "hanging on". For me, hanging on implies there's something you're grabbing onto, either literally or in a figurative sense. By the way, I have also heard "hanging around in the neighbourhood" which would use I guess both the phrasal verb and a preposition.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-08, 20:01

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:I think I was ellipsising "hanging on", but even so I believe the term should be "hanging around".

Yeah, "hanging around" sounds better than "hanging on". For me, hanging on implies there's something you're grabbing onto, either literally or in a figurative sense. By the way, I have also heard "hanging around in the neighbourhood" which would use I guess both the phrasal verb and a preposition.

Similarly, "hanging on in the neighbourhood" works IMD whereas *"hanging on my neighbourhood" doesn't. The former would imply, for example, that the neighbourhood was changing significantly (e.g. gentrifying, being demolished) and that the person in question was doing their best not to be displaced by the changes.

I'm not interested in being seduced by a boy. Now if a man in your neighbourhood wants to seduce me, tell him that only face pics get replies.

The person after me has recently had their genitals photographed.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-08, 22:24

I hope I haven't.

I often get out of the shower in front of a laptop/notebook with a webcam, but if even I can't put it to work when I need, imagine the Black Mirror hackers...

Like a goddess, the person after me mesmerizes me.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-03-09, 10:38

And I'm not even trying.

The person after me would want to be resisting a little more.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 3:30

Osias wrote:if even I can't put get it to work when I need to

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would want to be resisting a little more.

I should say I've been good at resisting physical attraction (if that's what you mean). I've never even come close to losing my virginity after all. :P

The person after me is inclined to eat something right now despite not actually feeling hungry.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-10, 15:22

Yes, because os lunchtime. It's kind of an obligation.

The island of the person after me is always on their mind.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-10, 15:57

vijayjohn wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me would want to be resisting a little more.

You really don't have an issue with "would want to", Vijay? To me it sounds like straight-up Furrinerese; I need to replace "want" with "like" or change the whole thing to "TPAM wants to be..."

Osias wrote:Yes, because of lunchtime. It's kind of an obligation.

The island of the person after me is always on their mind.

If you mean to say that the person after me owns an island which is always all their mind, then it would have to be "The person after me's island..." to sound idiomatic to me (or be a different sort of modifying phrase, e.g. "the island belonging to the person after me"). Saying "the island of the person after me" makes it sound like the TPAM is equivalent to an island in some way or other. (Cf. "Fool of a Took!")

I do think a lot about how insular I am. I was just telling a new acquaintance a couple days ago what a selfish person I am and I don't know if he really believed me.

The person after me knows that there are people who are audibly wincing at the sight of "me's" and is feasting on their distress like a cartoon villain.

Return to “English”