the person after me game

Moderator: JackFrost

france-eesti

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-02-11, 21:05

Stupidly reminds me of dear Bob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XiYUYcpsT4

The person after me likes Bob Marley and thinks he is not out of date.
'fr' (fr) Native - 'en' (en) Fluentish - 'pt' (pt) Fluentish when I was younger, SQL: A2 or something like that - 'hu' (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it!

DukeThylacine

Postby DukeThylacine » 2017-02-12, 0:44

I like his music, but I don't listen to it often. And why would anyone think Bob Marley is outdated?

The person after me doesn't enjoy winter.
Native:  (sr)
Fluent:  (en-GB)/ (en-US)
Barely managing basic conversation:  (de) |  (ru)
Interesting languages/Want to learn:  (fi) |  (et)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-12, 15:45

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me hacked the American mind consciousness to make Trump win.

You could say "...hacked the minds of the Americans..." or "...hacked the American public's mind..." or change mind to consciousness.

Yet again, I'm going to disagree with dEhiN here. When I went to college, one of the most talked-about books was Allan Bloom's The closing of the American mind, and he was a prescriptivist par excellence.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-13, 6:40

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me hacked the American mind consciousness to make Trump win.

You could say "...hacked the minds of the Americans..." or "...hacked the American public's mind..." or change mind to consciousness.

Yet again, I'm going to disagree with dEhiN here. When I went to college, one of the most talked-about books was Allan Bloom's The closing of the American mind, and he was a prescriptivist par excellence.

The way I interpret that title is that Bloom used mind in a figurative way to allow for grouping. So I would analyze that as he either used ellipsis with a phrase like "the collective American mind" and omitted collective, or he used analogy with the word consciousness. In fact, before I wrote that correction, I was on a Skype chat with Ysrenhart, Aurinia, and Johanna, and I asked their input just to clarify. It was Ysrenhart that suggested the word consciousness. As well, when ESL learners first learn the word mind, it's (either always or generally) the single usage of "the mind of a person". The collective usage exists as you demonstrated, but it's in a sense a more abstract usage than the single one.

Why I offered the correction to Osias was because based on past usage mistakes he's made, I thought perhaps he was thinking of the single usage. (I don't recall now the specific mistake, but I do recall seeing him use a structure that generally is used in a singular sense in English, and he used it in a plural sense, and I believe at the time I recognized it was probably due to Portuguese allowing for both.)
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-ca) | (B1)  (fr) (pt-br) | (A2)  (es-co) | (A1)  (ja) (ko) (sv) (ta-lk)
(A0)  (de) (fy) (haw) (hi) (hu) (id) (it) (nah) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (ru) (sq) (tl) (tr) (zh)

DukeThylacine

Postby DukeThylacine » 2017-02-23, 0:42

Soooo...can we continue with the game? :D
Native:  (sr)
Fluent:  (en-GB)/ (en-US)
Barely managing basic conversation:  (de) |  (ru)
Interesting languages/Want to learn:  (fi) |  (et)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-02-23, 1:25

DukeThylacine wrote:The person after me doesn't enjoy winter.

Where I live there's no real winter, only "hot" and "hotter".

I dream of Game of Thrones snow.

The person after me also dreams of Snow but for other reasons.
2017 est l'année du  (fr) et de l' (de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-02-26, 6:15

The person after me also dreams of Snow but for other reasons.

In my opinion, we've had enough snow this winter so I am really looking forward to Spring.

The person after me has to shovel snow this morning.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-02-26, 13:51

I've never seen snow or been to a place that snows.

Perry Rhodan hired the person after me as a hairdresser.
2017 est l'année du  (fr) et de l' (de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-02-26, 18:50

No, he doesn't. I tried to cut my brother's hair as a child but he ended up going to 'real' hairdresser :whistle:

The person after me wants to visit Austria sometime.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-26, 22:30

Osias wrote:I've never seen snow or been to a place where it snows.

tiuwiu wrote:No, he didn't.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 5:02

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:I've never seen snow or been to a place where it snows.

"That snows" works for me. "Where it snows" would be my first choice, and it does sound more grammatical; that would be what I'd expect an English teacher to prefer. But at least in my dialect, I've seen/heard enough people use "that" in place of "where" that it's colloquially quite acceptable.

tiuwiu wrote:No, he doesn't. I tried to cut my brother's hair as a child but he ended up going to a 'real' hairdresser :whistle:

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me wants to visit Austria sometime.

Not particularly; I can think of at least a good 14 other countries in Europe I'd want to check out first before Austria.

The person after me will tell us their earliest childhood memory.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-ca) | (B1)  (fr) (pt-br) | (A2)  (es-co) | (A1)  (ja) (ko) (sv) (ta-lk)
(A0)  (de) (fy) (haw) (hi) (hu) (id) (it) (nah) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (ru) (sq) (tl) (tr) (zh)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-02-27, 13:26

My brother coming home after his birth.

I killed the person after me in the last incarnation and was his wife in the previous.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-03-03, 5:58

I don't hope so.

The person after me is a fortuneteller and want to tell us the lottery numbers for the next week.

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-03-03, 12:31

I charge $5,000 for telling someone next week's lottery numbers. Anonymously, of course.

The person after me is a vampire.
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-03, 13:40

Only from dusk till dawn.

The person after me lost some friends over Trump's victory last year.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-03, 15:09

Osias wrote:My brother coming home after his birth.

Grammatically correct but it sounds odd. I'd probably phrase this as "My newborn brother coming home from the hospital" (assuming that's where he was born).

Osias wrote:I killed the person after me in my last incarnation and was his wife in the previous.

tiuwiu wrote:I don't hope sonot.

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me is a fortuneteller and wants to tell us the lottery numbers for the next week.

Osias wrote:The person after me lost some friends over Trump's victory last year.

No, over Bernie's loss.

The person after me thought we'd have a new regime in the USA by now.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-03, 19:33

You mean you don't?

The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but those were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-03, 21:34

Osias wrote:You mean you don't?

The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but they were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.

You mean Logan's not a romcom?

The person after me will tell the world about our meet-cute.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-06, 6:32

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:You mean you don't?

The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but they were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.

Osias might have used "those" to refer to the tickets, not the person. Although I guess in either case, "they" is the better pronoun to use. However, "we got" doesn't work. If "they" refers to the person, then you could just say "...but they were cursed and got teleported...". If "they" refers to the tickets, then I would probably say something like "...but they were cursed and the person got ...". Also, if I'm using a pronoun that could refer to two or more previous nouns, and if I want to specify which one, I would just put the noun in brackets: "...but they (tickets) were...".
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-06, 16:07

dEhiN wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me got me tickets for the new Wolverine's movie, but they were cursed and we got teleported to a movie theater playing a romcom instead.

Osias might have used "those" to refer to the tickets, not the person. Although I guess in either case, "they" is the better pronoun to use. However, "we got" doesn't work. If "they" refers to the person, then you could just say "...but they were cursed and got teleported...". If "they" refers to the tickets, then I would probably say something like "...but they were cursed and the person got ...". Also, if I'm using a pronoun that could refer to two or more previous nouns, and if I want to specify which one, I would just put the noun in brackets: "...but they (tickets) were...".

Surprise! I'm gonna disagree with you again, dEhiN.

"We" refers to the speaker ("me") and whoever accompanied them. The clause is absolutely correct and idiomatic as written. If you referred to yourself and one or more people accompanying you as "they" in conversation, you would confuse the hell out of me.

Return to “English”