the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

plengfruit
Re: the person after me game

Postby plengfruit » 2017-04-30, 16:08

I wish there was a huge black dog around. I like doggos. And doggos like me back.

The next person is counting down the days till the next Cuyahoga river fire.
Image Image Image Image Image

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-01, 2:47

plengfruit wrote:I like doggos. And doggos like me back.

I've only ever heard doggy or doggies as a cute term for dogs. I'm not sure if doggos is used, at least not in North America.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-01, 3:23

plengfruit wrote:The next person is counting down the days till the next Cuyahoga river fire.

I never count the days.

The person after me has never broken a bone in their life.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-01, 3:35

dEhiN wrote:

I've only ever heard doggy or doggies as a cute term for dogs. I'm not sure if doggos is used, at least not in North America.

I think it's an Internet new thing, I've seen recently on Tumblr and Twitter, I think. Much like "catioríneo" in Brazilian Internet since some years ago.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-05-01, 4:30

dEhiN wrote:

Like Osias says, it's a meme. See also: pupper.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-01, 4:36

Osias wrote:I think it's an new Internet new thing, I've seen recently on Tumblr and Twitter, I think. Much like "catioríneo" in Brazilian Internet since some years ago.

Thanks, I never knew about that! As for my corrections: Image The meme above says that adjectives absolutely have to be in that order; I'm not sure how true that it, but it is true that generally when that order is broken you sound weird or non-native like. Although, I think in this case what may be going on is that "Internet thing" is a compound noun, making "new" the only adjective. At any rate, "Internet new thing" sounds quite odd and weird to my ears.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-05-01, 5:10

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:I think it's an new Internet new thing, I've seen recently on Tumblr and Twitter, I think. Much like "catioríneo" in Brazilian Internet since some years ago.
Also: "on the Brazilian Internet" > "in Brazilian Internet". I think I've mentioned before: "Internet" takes a definite article most of the time, unless it's used to mean "Internet connection". (e.g. Do you have internet here?) And even then, not always. (The internet here is spotty.)

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me has never broken a bone in their life.
True (Knock on wood). Don't have any plans to either.

The person after me is superstitious.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-01, 6:14

I'm not very superstitious ... but if you must pass under a ladder you can avoid bad luck by spitting three times through the ladder's rungs. :whistle:

The person after me sings in the car.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-01, 11:59

It depends on both my mood and the song that the radio is playing, actually. :D

The person after me hates it when someone sings in their car while they're driving.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-01, 13:28

Dormouse559 wrote: I think I've mentioned before: "Internet" takes a definite article most of the time
I remember. This is something that's the same in Portuguese ("a Internet"), but I never believe it's the same when I'm writing and try to do a "more English" style.
france-eesti wrote:The person after me hates it when someone sings in their car while they're driving.

I am the one who sings all the time, maybe there's someone who hates me for this.

The person after me wears fake leather.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-01, 14:58

Elaine wrote:The person after me likes the way Drew Barrymore acts.

FWIW, I find this sentence ambiguous as it could mean the way she acts in general. If I only wanted to know what someone thought of how she acts in films and not in her personal or public life, I would say "Drew Barrymore's acting".
Osias wrote:I liked her in 50 First Dates, and liked the movie overall, even it being an Adam Sandler's.

Awkward. Better would be "even though it was one of Adam Sandler's" or "even though it was an Adam Sandler film".

The person after me wears fake leather.

Fake suede, yes, but my leather is always genuine.

The person after me never wears anything that needs dry cleaning.[*]

[*] IMD, "that needs dry cleaned". But if you imitate that, most speakers will think it's a mistake.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-01, 15:38

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:even it being an Adam Sandler's.

Awkward. Better would be "even though it was one of Adam Sandler's" or "even though it was an Adam Sandler film".

What if he was an author and I was talking about one of his books?

linguoboy wrote:The person after me never wears anything that needs dry cleaning.[*]

I don't even know what kind of clothes of shoes need dry cleaning.

The way the person after me behaves, they will be murdered by terrorists before Trump leaves office.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-01, 15:49

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Same advice. I can't think of any context in English where you'd naturally use a possessive noun with an indefinite article to refer to some sort of cultural production. For instance, if you're talking about a physical work of art (such as a painting or sculpture), it's always "a Monet", "a Brâncuși", etc., never *"a Monet's", *"a Brâncuși's".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-02, 4:58

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Same advice. I can't think of any context in English where you'd naturally use a possessive noun with an indefinite article to refer to some sort of cultural production. For instance, if you're talking about a physical work of art (such as a painting or sculpture), it's always "a Monet", "a Brâncuși", etc., never *"a Monet's", *"a Brâncuși's".

I'm glad you pointed that out linguoboy. When I first read what Osias wrote, it struck me as odd-sounding and I was going to correct it as well. Then I mulled it over and figured it could work with some ellipsis and a non-standard, possibly dialectal, usage of the possessive clitic. For example, if a native speaker had said that to me, I think I would've assumed a fuller clause: "even with it being an Adam Sandler movie" -> "even it being an Adam Sandler movie" -> "even it being an Adam Sandler's". Granted, the ellipsis sounds more natural than the possessive clitic usage.

ETA: To be fair, I also have never seen a usage of the possessive like above.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-06, 11:29

Osias wrote:The way the person after me behaves, they will be murdered by terrorists before Trump leaves office.

No way!

The person after me has at least a basic knowledge of both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-06, 21:38

I think I used Corel for the last time 20 or so years ago

The next person uses Gimp.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-07, 6:25

I personally prefer to use another program but I also sometimes use GIMP.

The person after me is chilly right now.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-07, 7:44

No, I'm just drinking hot tea so no way to be chilling.

The person after me thinks cats are smarter than dogs.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-07, 10:16

I can't answer this question in general. However, having both a dog and a cat myself, I can say that my dog is smarter than my cat.

The person after me can't imagine being a vegan his/her whole life.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-07, 16:03

I can't. I'm in a barbecue right now.

I die every day for the person after me.

Return to “English”